Need advice quick

Old February 26th 06, 11:06 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.rescue

Default Need advice quick

Hello, we have been trying to help the barn cats who live nearby. The
farmer to whom they "belong" takes minimal care of them. We have
befriended a few who trust us enough to let us touch them and even pick
them up.

One tom, a gentle semi-feral giant, suffered a wound on his nose during
a fight. It scabbed up, then got infected. It is now crusted with a
mixture of blood, pus, hay, and god only knows what else. He has been
having trouble breathing. Lots of wheezing, sneezing and huffing.

I have tried to keep his nose clear. On the outside, at least. But
without the means to confine him, I am just whistling in the breeze. We
tried to give him some clavamox, but he fought me and won.

I wonder if there is something I could quickly apply to the crust on his
nostrils that would soften the mess there. I tried paper towels and
facial tissue moistened with warm water, but he wouldn't stand for that.
Someone suggested applying vasoline to the area.

I'm at my wits end. It is very upsetting to have him approach me
trustingly, and then to do these things which upset him, even though I
know I'm only trying to help him.

If anyone has any advice, please respond ASAP. Right now, the only thing
I can do is hope that his immune system beats the infection.
Old February 26th 06, 11:22 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.rescue

Vaseline will help protect the area. Have you approached the neighbor
about you keeping the cat. Or maybe calling animal control and letting them
know about the situation and that you are willing to take the cat in. From
the situation it sounds like he is feral there fore a stray. Are you sure
they only take minimal care. I am just asking?

Me personally I would trap the cat take him to a vet to get the problem
taken care off. get him neutered and vaccinated before he was taken home.
There would be a little hiss and fuss but soon would be forgotten and plus
the tom would probably stay near your house instead

Old February 27th 06, 08:51 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.rescue

In article
,
lid wrote:

[...]

Thanks to those who responded. To update, I haven't yet put any ointment
of any kind on his nose (he has pure white fur and as far as I can tell,
he is either totally or nearly totally deaf). Last night, the wheezing
and rasping got so loud I wasn't sure he would make it through the
night. I was ready to trap him and have him put down.

I'm glad I didn't. This morning, his nose is clear of all the crap that
was stuck to it yesterday, and he is eating again. I'm going to try to
apply some neosporin as soon as he shows up again.

He is one of the best, friendliest barn cats around here. He's huge--
among the three biggest cats I've seen since we moved here. Must weigh
more than twenty poinds. But he is such a wussy with the other cats. I
wish I could find him a home.

I wish I could find all of them homes.
Old February 27th 06, 09:09 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.rescue

Remember that ointment will trap in any bacteria, moisture or fungus that is
there. Sometimes it's better to go with a cream if you don't know what
organism you're dealing with. Some wounds need to dry up and crust rather
than remain moist.

--
-Sharon
wrote in message
In article
,

Old March 8th 06, 01:25 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.rescue

[...]

Any kind of ointment that will not injure eyes or cat if lick will soften crust. I have
used Vick Vaperrub before.

As for meds try baby food to put it in. I have found that all the strays and nieghbors
cats love the meat baby foods that I give them on occassion for treats. These guys love
chicken with chicken gravy or turkey with turkey gravy. I add a bit of liquid to the food
to dilute it more for them.
Old March 8th 06, 06:10 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.rescue

Any kind of ointment that will not injure eyes or cat if lick will soften
crust. I have
used Vick Vaperrub before.

However, if this is a fungus they're dealing with, or more than likely a
combination of infection and fungus, the last thing they want to do is trap
in the moisture with an ointment.

Old March 9th 06, 01:31 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.rescue

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 13:10:35 -0500, "Sharon" wrote:

Any kind of ointment that will not injure eyes or cat if lick will soften
crust. I have
used Vick Vaperrub before.

However, if this is a fungus they're dealing with, or more than likely a
combination of infection and fungus, the last thing they want to do is trap
in the moisture with an ointment.

That might be but I was just answering his question about what to put on it to soften it.

Old March 17th 06, 01:30 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.rescue

I have found in the past that if you crush a tablet up and mix it with
vegemite or marmite or honey or something similar and then gently smear it
down a cats front leg it can be a good way to medicate ... for the simple
reason that they do not like having anything sticky on them and they clean
it off....you have to be careful not to use too much of the food or honey as
they can just flick it off and it goes all over the place!!!

Good luck!!