Need to get rid of cat in NJ.

Old December 11th 03, 05:29 PM
Frank Rachel

Default Need to get rid of cat in NJ.

I need to get rid of a 2yr old black female cat, spayed and declawed
in NJ. Who can I contact about this?

The cat is peeing everywhere, but mainly in our 3.5yr old daughters
room. She (the cat) does NOT have a UTI. This happens numerous times a
day. On the bed, on the blankets, on the pillows, etc. If we wash
everything and put it back in the room, if we forget to close the door
it will be peed on again within 15 minutes, guaranteed.

Now I love cats, I have 3 (all black), but my daughter is more
important, and it is not fair to her that her room always smells like
cat pee, or that we have to take her stuff every night and wash it.
Agree or disagree, thats how we feel, so the cat is going.

I'd like her to go somewhere where she can possibly be adopted, but
regardless she has to go ASAP. If you know anyplace or anyone in NJ
(central'ish, Scotch Plains/Westfield area) that will take her, please
let me know.

-Frank
Old December 11th 03, 06:31 PM
Mary

I'd like her to go somewhere where she can possibly be adopted, but
regardless she has to go ASAP. If you know anyplace or anyone in NJ
(central'ish, Scotch Plains/Westfield area) that will take her, please
let me know.

This is a behavioral issue. It sounds like she has issues with your child.
Perhaps your child plays too rough with her? or maybe she's jealous? You need
to deal with this problem or else it could happen with the other cats. If your
child had a behavioral issue, I'm sure you would deal with the problem and not
just send her away. There is medication which will help your cat relax and
perhaps not mark. Here are some articles on treating this issue
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...iate+urination
It could be a simple little thing that you could change. If you take your cat
to the shelter, she will most likely be put to sleep because of this issue,
she's black and not a kitten.
Old December 12th 03, 04:25 AM
Wendy

Have you tried using different kitty litter. Some declawed cats have
problems with certain types of litter.

If your just determined to get rid of the cat, check petfinder.com for
rescue groups in your area. Look for one that is no-kill. You could try
contacting the one in Plainfield. They are no kill but I don't know if they
have room or not.

I'd try changing litter first. Something that would be easy on paws. I've
heard that some declawed cats have problems with some of the scented litters
too.

om...

Old December 13th 03, 03:42 AM
Cat Protector

I am trying my best to withhold my anger here but I hate to see cats get
dumped over a problem that can most likely be easily solved. If you
couldn't handle the responsibility of caring for a cat for the rest of her
life? You say you have 3 other cats so does that mean you will be getting
rid of them as well? If so that does not show good parenting skills on your
part. You say you love cats but also are considering dump your cat as well.

Now my suggestion is this. Try switching brands of cat litter. Also have the
cat checked by a vet. It could be she has a medical issue that is causing
all this. Another idea is to put a screen on the door so the cat can't get
in the room. Also pay lots of attention to this feline. It could be she
feels displaced or unwanted because of your human daughter. If you are
paying more attention to your human child than your cats then I can see how
they might be a bit upset by that.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

Old December 13th 03, 07:53 AM

The reality is that nobody is going to take your cat, and if a shelter
does she will be KILLED because she has a behavior problem.
Talk to your vet about putting the cat on Prozac. It is the most
effective medication for treating innapropriate urination issues in
cats. It does take some time for it to reach full effect, but it does
work. I have an incorrigible pee-er that has stopped now that she is on
Prozac. It's likely that the behavior your cat is exhibiting is a result
of her being declawed. This is a common occurrence and happens in
approximately 1/3 of cats that undergo this procedure. Please take some
time to look at the link in my sig and educate yourself about declawing
so you understand what a cruel and unnecessary procedure it is, and the
serious behavior problems it can cause. There are many cats that have
suffered losing their home as a result of being declawed and most of
them are killed at the shelter they are surrendered to. Your cat is not
at fault for her behavior, and it's likely that the problem can be
corrected with the use of medication and attention and modification of
her environment, stressors, etc. You wouldn't dump your daughter at a
shelter if she started acting up, but you would work on finding a way to
deal with whatever issues presented themselves. Your cat deserves the
same compassion.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old December 20th 03, 08:02 PM
Ray Ban

wrote in message ...
[...]

In my home, cat's don't deserve the same compassion as my human
children. And I have to weigh whether to spend money on a pet or my
child. New cat tree or dance lessons? Prozac or college fund?
Old February 16th 04, 10:08 PM
minerva nine

Frank -- The best resource for adopting out a cat is your own circle of friends
and family. My guess is that she probably is trying to mark your daughter's
room as her territory (jealousy issue), which would not be an issue for her if
she were brought into a home with no young children and maybe only one or two
other cats. Ask your friends, co-workers, family, etc. if any of them will take
her. Whenever I have had to adopt out a cat, nine times out of ten, I find
owners for them amongst the people I know. Put up a flyer at work, tell your
buddies to tell their friends, etc. Good luck, let us know how it turns out. --
M9

Old April 13th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue
NewAmerican

WOW,

I'm sorry for the attacks on your character. It's pretty amazing how
people will project such harsh judgement on someone who is putting forth
an honest effort to find a solution to a problem that puts there child at
risk. The solution of having to remove a cat from the home is
unfortunate, but keeping the cat at the risk of a childs health is
unacceptable. The toxins in Feline urine can have HUGE negative effects
on a childs health and possibly even effect thier developement.

I love my cats. And I have no Children. However I can plainly see you
difficult situation. I wish you lick. I would not see anything wrong
with getting to a shelter ASAP. You childs health must come first.

I assume that many of these people criticizing you have no Children. And
simply cannot differentiate between a childs life and that of a pet.