Help with kittie placement

Old July 31st 05, 05:12 AM
Brian Link

Default Help with kittie placement

Okay, this is a tough one.

The situation is: we've decided to let my son's girlfriend spend her
senior year in high school here. This in itself has a rich and
interesting background, but since this is a cat newsgroup, I'll get on
to the cat part.

She has a six-year old, spayed female moggie in southern california.
Her mom has not expressed any interest in keeping the cat when she
moves to Illinois in September. This cat has some undiagnosed health
issues, and a few behavioral issues which include peeing on bedclothes
and "acting crazy" (which frankly just sounds like the kitty freaking
out to get the wiggles out). The peeing thing seems to be a
cat-litter, stress issue. The cat currently lives with a senior
neutered male and an incredibly bad-tempered jack-russell terrier in a
VERY tiny house.

She loves this cat, and though I don't know the kitty well, the brief
introduction I had was very positive.

So, I want to help. Here are my options:

1. Find a host family near LA.
2. Find a host family in the Minneapolis area
3. House the kitty with my brother, who misses his cat and may very
well house this kitty in his part of the house without ever coming
into contact with the current resident (see my previous post)
4. Try to integrate the kitty into OUR household, with a skittery
bengal who has refused our stray adoption, but may react differently
to an older, spayed female.

The former possibilities may be hard but better for the cat. The
latter would also be hard but better for my son's girlfriend.

I'm leaning toward trying to take the kitty into our house given my
new, improved info supplied by Megan. The cat sounds playful, and may
make a great foil for Louis the bengal. On the other hand, she may be
a "single-cat-household" cat, which would mean we have peeing by Louis
and her at the same time.

I'm hoping someone talks some sense into me, since I'm currently
heartbroken that my son's girlfriend may completely lose touch with
her beloved kitty.

Final postscript: this girlfriend will be getting her own place next
summer, and will be able to take the kitty back.

Looking for useful suggestions, new ideas, and a general patting on
the back saying "everything will work out fine".

BLink
Old July 31st 05, 05:33 AM

Brian Link wrote:

Looking for useful suggestions, new ideas, and a general patting on
the back saying "everything will work out fine".

BLink

Why can't the cat remain in the parents' household until Girlfriend
gets her own place? Cats are attached to their places as much as their
people. It seems selfish to haul the poor cat to California, establish
him in a temporary home, then bounce him out again.

Sherry

Old July 31st 05, 07:56 AM
Snittens

"Brian Link" wrote

So, I want to help. Here are my options:

1. Find a host family near LA.
2. Find a host family in the Minneapolis area
3. House the kitty with my brother, who misses his cat and may very
well house this kitty in his part of the house without ever coming
into contact with the current resident (see my previous post)
4. Try to integrate the kitty into OUR household, with a skittery
bengal who has refused our stray adoption, but may react differently
to an older, spayed female.

JMO, but I think option #3 may be best. If things seem positive, you always
have the option of slowly introducing the girlfriend's cat to the other cat
in the household. I'm not sure I would want to bring a cat with a history
of pee problems into your household with Louis and his own peeing/spraying
thing.

Good luck whatever you decide.

-Kelly

Old July 31st 05, 08:38 AM
Charlie Wilkes

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 23:12:48 -0500, Brian Link wrote:

Okay, this is a tough one.

The situation is: we've decided to let my son's girlfriend spend her
senior year in high school here. This in itself has a rich and
interesting background, but since this is a cat newsgroup, I'll get on
to the cat part.

Homeless slut, eh? That's too bad. You should install a pinhole
video system in your son's bedroom. Go to
alt.binaries.multimedia.erotica.voyeurism and you will see why I make
this recommendation. The good stuff -- where the people really don't
know they are being observed -- is highly prized. Not just by me,
either. Web sites will pay $$$!! Think of all the cats you could
rescue with that extra money, Brian.

Looking for useful suggestions, new ideas, and a general patting on
the back saying "everything will work out fine".

Of course it will work out. Here's my useful suggestion: if you are
willing to stick that animal on a plane bound for Sea-Tac Airport, I
will go down there and pick it up and personally adopt it. Seriously.

Charlie
Old July 31st 05, 09:05 AM
Brian Link

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 07:38:51 GMT, Charlie Wilkes
wrote:

[...]

I've had similar offers from an obscure newsgroup called
"rec.pets.cats.recipes".

Funny how determined these folks are. I actually had someone show up
at my door with a wok.

BLink
Old July 31st 05, 09:45 PM
Charlie Wilkes

wrote:

Of course it will work out. Here's my useful suggestion: if you are
willing to stick that animal on a plane bound for Sea-Tac Airport, I
will go down there and pick it up and personally adopt it. Seriously.

Charlie

I've had similar offers from an obscure newsgroup called
"rec.pets.cats.recipes".

Funny how determined these folks are. I actually had someone show up
at my door with a wok.

That would be unnerving. Anyway, good luck placing the cat and
dealing with your son's girlfriend and her family. Is this the same
cat that was holed up in a closet on the prom weekend because of some
medical problem?

Charlie
Old August 1st 05, 06:06 AM
Brian Link

wrote:

Of course it will work out. Here's my useful suggestion: if you are
willing to stick that animal on a plane bound for Sea-Tac Airport, I
will go down there and pick it up and personally adopt it. Seriously.

Charlie

I've had similar offers from an obscure newsgroup called
"rec.pets.cats.recipes".

Funny how determined these folks are. I actually had someone show up
at my door with a wok.

That would be unnerving. Anyway, good luck placing the cat and
dealing with your son's girlfriend and her family. Is this the same
cat that was holed up in a closet on the prom weekend because of some
medical problem?

Charlie

Nope. This was its housemate, who will move in with grandparents.

BLink