seeking cat claw care advice

Old December 18th 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Pamela Oglesby

Default seeking cat claw care advice

My cat gets his claws caught on the carpet and couch quite often and
this causes him discomfort. I would like to trim his claws, but I don't
know how to safely do that. It seems it would be easier to get him a
scratching post, but I haven't found one that interests him. I would
appreciate any advice on either claw trimming or sure fire scratching
posts. He is about 10 years old and just a great creature. I'd do
anything to make him more comfortable. Thanks in advance.

Pam

Old December 18th 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Pamela Oglesby" wrote in message
My cat gets his claws caught on the carpet and couch quite often and
this causes him discomfort. I would like to trim his claws, but I don't
know how to safely do that. It seems it would be easier to get him a
scratching post, but I haven't found one that interests him. I would
appreciate any advice on either claw trimming or sure fire scratching
posts. He is about 10 years old and just a great creature. I'd do
anything to make him more comfortable. Thanks in advance.

Pam, all you have to do is cut the very tips of his claws to make it
easier for him. We use these:

http://tinyurl.com/ym3mxk

If he lets you handle his feet, it should be easy. You just
press his foot between your fingers so his claws extend then
clip the very tip.

If he does not like you handling his feet, roll him in a large
towel and have a friend hold him so that just one foot sticks
out, and you trim. It is very easy for the person holding the
cat to hold his head so that he cannot bite and also keep his
three legs wrapped in the towel so he will not scratch.

Talk to him soothingly during and reward him afterward.

If this sounds intimidating, take him to a vet or groomer and
pay them the first time, and watch them do it.

As for scratchers, I have never met the cat that can resist
this one! You rub it with catnip.

http://tinyurl.com/y32exg

Old December 18th 06, 07:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

http://maxshouse.com/Claw%20Trimming.htm

Old December 18th 06, 12:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"cybercat" wrote in message

[...]

The cardboard scratchers are great. My Diego loves his. My other two like a
good stretch while they scratch so my cat tree is their preference. The
scratching posts need to be heavy enough (or secured in some manner) so they
can't tip. It also needs to be tall enough that the cat can get a good
stretch. Mine like the part that is wrapped with the sisal rope. Spray it
with catnip to get them interested.

Old December 18th 06, 03:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Pamela Oglesby wrote:
My cat gets his claws caught on the carpet and couch quite often and
this causes him discomfort. I would like to trim his claws, but I don't
know how to safely do that. It seems it would be easier to get him a
scratching post, but I haven't found one that interests him. I would
appreciate any advice on either claw trimming or sure fire scratching
posts. He is about 10 years old and just a great creature. I'd do
anything to make him more comfortable. Thanks in advance.

Pam

Hi Pam,

Cybercat has already given you some great tips on trimming claws. Don't
feel you have to trim all his claws at once; start by doing one or two
and go from there.

Also, have you tried a "non traditional" scratching post? I've known
people who have used simple things like a large log or an upside down
wicker laundry basket, and their cats loved them!

Rene

Old December 18th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmagerl

Nontraditional scratching posts

I had a cat that used to shun every scratching post I tried. Nothing worked
until one day he bolted out the front door (indoor cat) and immediately
started to shred the tires on my car. And thats the story why I have an old
tire in the living room

"Rene S." wrote in message
ups.com...

Old December 18th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Wendy" wrote
The cardboard scratchers are great. My Diego loves his. My other two like
a good stretch while they scratch so my cat tree is their preference.

Gracie also loves a vertical scratch! At present I have no room for a cat
tree
(long story, the house is big enough but full of big stuff passed to us when
beloved relative died, so there is no getting rid of the big stuff). So I
got
oneat Petsmart for $15. It is just the right height that she gets a good
scratch
in--32 inches tall. The usual ones are way too short for the cat to get that
good stretch in! It has only carpet on it, but I bought the sisal and glue
fix that. She loves it. It is tall enough that she can leap up and stick to
the top
like velcro. Once she took a flying leap and wound up stuck to it upside
down,
hahaha!

The
scratching posts need to be heavy enough (or secured in some manner) so
they can't tip. It also needs to be tall enough that the cat can get a
good stretch. Mine like the part that is wrapped with the sisal rope.
Spray it with catnip to get them interested.

I've never seen spray catnip!

Old December 19th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Mon, 18 Dec 2006 04:36:05 GMT, "cybercat" wrote:

As for scratchers, I have never met the cat that can resist
this one! You rub it with catnip.

Meet Rudy (http://tinyurl.com/utvbv). The only thing he has ever done with
those cardboard scratchers is lick them to the point of breaking down the
cardboard. Weirdo kitty.

OTOH, Levi LOVES them. (So does the dog, but they don't last long with
her, if you get my drift.)

--
Lynne

Old December 19th 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Mon, 18 Dec 2006 17:31:22 GMT, "cybercat" wrote:

I've never seen spray catnip!

I wouldn't trust spray catnip. Of course I buy organically grown, freeze
dried catnip...

--
Lynne

Old December 19th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Lynne" wrote in message
m...
on Mon, 18 Dec 2006 04:36:05 GMT, "cybercat" wrote:

As for scratchers, I have never met the cat that can resist
this one! You rub it with catnip.

Meet Rudy (http://tinyurl.com/utvbv). The only thing he has ever done
with
those cardboard scratchers is lick them to the point of breaking down the
cardboard. Weirdo kitty.

He is sooo pretty. Boo will not scratch scratchers of any kine, but likes to
lie on the flat ones. She licks catnip toys until they are ABsolutely
disgusting!

OTOH, Levi LOVES them. (So does the dog, but they don't last long with
her, if you get my drift.)

Hahaha!