Cat in distress??

Old December 27th 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
andersjr82

Default Cat in distress??

My cat has been acting scared/angry at his own tail for the past 12+ hours.
It started when my in-laws came for a visit (3 kids included) last night.
These 5 people have all been over before and our cat has never had a problem.
After they were over for about 2 hours, the cat started growling and hissing
and pacing all around the house. When he would look behind him at his tail,
he would screech and run away. He did this for about 10 minutes before I took
him to a room in the basement where he could be alone. The in-laws left about
15 minutes later, and I went to let him out. He continued with the same
behavior for several hours, and eventually seemed to calm down a little. We
tried to give him a little catnip and some milk (2 things he loves but rarely
gets) to try to cheer him up. He ate and drank like normal, and even ate some
of his regular food. All through the night, he went through spurts where he
seemed to be normal and trying to sleep, but then would get "spooked" by his
own tail and he would start growling and hissing again. This morning he
seemed to be "normal", even letting me pet him a bit and purring. But as soon
as he sees his tail, he freaks out.

I don't want to accuse my wife's young siblings of tormenting the cat, but
nothing else in the house was out of the ordinary. Even if they were playing
a bit too rough with him, should he still be so scared/angry after 12 hours?
And why would the sight of his own tail be the catalyst that causes him to
freak out? My wife and I are planning to take him to the vet tonight if it's
not better when we get home from work, but any advice now would be much
appreciated.

Old December 27th 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

I don't have any suggestions as to why your cat is acting this way. Seems
very odd. I hope that by now he has either calmed down or you have taken
him to the vet for an exam. Please let us know how he is doing.

Sue
--
Visit me and my cats at http://www.island-cats.com/

Old December 28th 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 14:23:45 +0000, andersjr82 wrote:

[...]

Perhaps his tail hurts. MLB

Old December 28th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh>\o\

On Dec 28, 12:31*am, mlbriggs wrote:
[...]

Perhaps his tail hurts. * MLB- Hide quoted text -

Perhaps his tail hurts.

I wondered if that was the case too?

Any number of things are possible in this instance. I have 5 kids so I
know every trick in the book, so to speak. It might have been the
kids. The only time a child lies, is because they fear the
consequences of their actions, all be it inadvertently sometimes, so
it is possible. OTOH, It might be because he got it trapped in a door,
& it really does hurt? With Cats unable to speak, it is a guessing
game., & it sounds like *Something* happened. Tails don't suddenly
start hurting without a reason.

You are already doing as I would suggest, which was take him to the
vets. Poor little chap, Bless him! I hope that you get some the
answers you seek, but most of all, I hope that it stops soon. It must
be worrying for you. I have only to think how I would feel, to know
what you must be going through. It will be nice to hear that things
are back to normal soon. Would you be kind enough to let us know what
the vet's thoughts are?
TIA,
Sheelagh"o"
Old December 30th 07, 10:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner

On Dec 27, 9:23�am, "andersjr82" u40190@uwe wrote:
[...]

He isn't biting at his own tail/body and making all kinds of strange
clicking/chattering sounds or anything else weird like than, is
he....? Because these are signs of rabies. Biting at his own body.
Fighting imaginary adversaries... None of your visitors had it, I
presume... Any chance of saliva exchange with any of them or any pets
that they might have brought along?
Old December 30th 07, 10:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner

Sheelagh"o"- Hide quoted text -

Your little "o"- is obscene.
Old December 30th 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh>\o\

On Dec 30, 10:19Â*am, IBen Getiner wrote:
On Dec 28, 12:34�pm, "Sheelagh\"o\""
wrote:

[...]

Your little "o"- is obscene.- Hide quoted text -

Only to someone who is as repulsive as you are.

Others know better.
Enjoy!

SHEELAGH "O"
Old December 31st 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner

wrote:

[...]

SHEELAGH "O"- Hide quoted text -

Yes... I'm SURE that the large case 'O' fits you better. Being that
you 'like it' so much and all...

IBen Getiner