(OT) Anyone like this house?

Old June 27th 12, 11:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

Default (OT) Anyone like this house?

On 6/10/2012 7:41 PM, jmcquown wrote:
It's a Victorian "cottage" in the town where John lives. I'm musing
about possibly buying the place.

http://nwa.mlxchange.com/DotNet/Pub/...27&s=NWA&t=NWA

Click on the photo of the house in the link to see more photos or to
view the slideshow.

Of course I'd have to sell my house first. (I'm working on that.) I'm
just poking around to see what's available and this came up. What charm!
I love the stained glass windows and the wonderful front porch. The
master bedroom is downstairs with a full bath with a clawfoot tub. Oooh!

I'd have a problem with the "stove" in the kitchen. It looks like a wood
burning stove. I'm entranced by history and old homes but I'm not
willing to compromise that much

Jill

I've seen your update about this, but I just wanted to say WOW! I'd buy
that house in a heartbeat. I'm not a fan of their color schemes but I
love the architecture.
Old June 28th 12, 04:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 6/11/2012 9:46 PM, Bastette wrote:
Jack Campin wrote:

I grew up in a wooden house in NZ, and went through a tremor big
enough that it might well have cracked a brick one (the house just
rocked like a boat). Structural brick was illegal, and for good
reason; look what happened to older brick buildings in Christchurch,
like the Cathedral.

Arkansas is part of the region most affected by the New Madrid
earthquakes, the most damaging in the history of the US.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak.../1811-1812.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1812_New_Madrid_earthquake

I would NOT like to be inside a brick building for a repeat of that.

Ditto. In Washington DC the earthquake of Aug last year caused many
structural problems for buildings not meant for earthquake country and
Wash DC doesn't have those, but we did. The buildings affected most
were brick - the Monument and the Wash Cathedral.

Besides, brick is ugly. It reminds me of my elementary school building.

I think it can be charming. But everyone's tastes are different.
And in termite country, it can be a house-saver.

Old June 29th 12, 01:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Earthquakes (WAS: (OT) Anyone like this house?)

"Jack Campin" wrote in message
I won't be buying this house. John went to look at it. As charming
as
it appears, there are structural problems.
Good. Buy a house made of bricks, not wood.

LOL! If there's an earthquake, a brick house will be nothing but a pile
of
bricks. And yes, there can be earthquakes anywhere. Just because they
aren't common in a location, or it has been decades since there has been
one, doesn't mean they can't happen.

I grew up in a wooden house in NZ, and went through a tremor big
enough that it might well have cracked a brick one (the house just
rocked like a boat). Structural brick was illegal, and for good
reason; look what happened to older brick buildings in Christchurch,
like the Cathedral.

Arkansas is part of the region most affected by the New Madrid
earthquakes, the most damaging in the history of the US.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak.../1811-1812.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1812_New_Madrid_earthquake

I would NOT like to be inside a brick building for a repeat of that.

Memphis was on the New Madrid fault, too. That fault runs from Cairo,
Illinois to Marked Tree, Arkansas. It's about 600 miles west of Eureka
Springs so I doubt they'd feel an earthquake.

I remember an earthquake along that fault in 1976. My mother was in Ohio
attending her mother's funeral. Dad and I were alone in the house. I was
in my bedroom reading a book. All of a sudden the bedside lamp started
swaying back and forth. I got up and walked to the bedroom door. I was
nearly jolted off my feet and had to grab onto the door jamb to stay
upright. (Turns out that's a good structural place to be during an
earthquake.) I held on. Then I went out to the den where my father was.
He exclaimed, "That was an earthquake! Pack a bag, get your coat! We have
to leave!" Um, where do you think we're going to go? LOL The news reported
the epicenter was a hundred miles north of us. There was no need to
evacuate. Dad simply reacted to being alone in the house with a teenage
daughter in a completely unforeseen situation.

That house was made of brick. If the quake had actually centered in Memphis
yes, it would have been reduced to a pile of rubble.

Jill

strange cat in house ,not my house Ann Cat anecdotes 2 May 31st 08 08:14 PM
A cat in the house ... Yoj Cat anecdotes 0 February 3rd 06 08:34 PM
There is a d*g in our house!!! Victor Martinez Cat anecdotes 10 November 14th 04 01:01 AM
The Cat House Pat Cat anecdotes 18 August 30th 04 02:49 AM
New cat house Victor M. Martinez Cat anecdotes 21 October 8th 03 05:00 PM