Rusty needs purrs again

Old April 4th 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Update: Rusty needs purrs again

"CATherine" wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 16:22:42 -0400, "W. Leong"
wrote:

We just got home from TED. His fecal samples are negative. But Rusty does
have ringworm on his ears. Not surprising as I have it. Don't know who
gave
to whom.
He got his vaccination and a shot of Program for the ringworm.
Rusty really hissed and growled loudly than ever before when the needles
went in.

So you have a double whammy with Rusty. Poor guy! There sure seems to
be a lot of ringworm about this year. I hope you can get rid of it
soon. I know Marina had a bad time with it. BTW, do you also take
Program? Or is carnivorous feline medicine very different from human
meds? Purrs for you and Rusty.

Thanks for the purrs.
No I don't take Program. I think it is only for cats, and maybe dogs.
That stuff is pricey too, over $50 Cdn for a shot.
My doc just told me to use an OTC med. The vet said I can use
the same med. on Rusty's ears.

Winnie

--
CATherine

Old April 4th 06, 10:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:

[...]

Purrs for Rusty's ringworm and for you too. I had ringworm all over my legs
when I was 17. I used Tinactin OTC athletes foot cream and spray. It
cleared it up but had to be very vigilant with putting it on and not
touching the area without thoroughly washing hands afterwards.
--
Britta

Old April 4th 06, 11:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Puurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Memphis and Phoenix

Old April 4th 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"badwilson" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

I got ringworm on my ankles. They are slowly fading now.
Last time I had ringworm 2 years ago my doctor told me to use
Canesten, an OTC cream for athletes foot and ringworm and it worked.
So I am using it again this time.
TED said I can use it on Rusty's ears. He also
told me to wash his ears with a dandruff shampoo called Nizoral. He gave
Rusty
a shot of Program for the ringworm. Have to go back for another shot in 6
months.

Also read that tea tree oil is good for ringworm so I am using that too on
myself.
But my research indicated that tea tree oil can be toxic to cat at a certain
dosage
and I am sure Rusty won't like the smell. I am washing my hands a lot and
wear
gloves when I touch Rusty. I won't let him sit on my lap and both of us are
not happy with this arrangement.

Winnie

Old April 4th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

W. Leong wrote:
"badwilson" wrote in message

"W. Leong" wrote in message
. ..

wrote:

[...]

What I did was wash all textiles that the cats came in contact with at
least once a week. I covered all the chairs with sheets. I vacuumed the
cat tree often. I put all their fuzzy toys in the freezer until the
previous ringworm test came back negative.

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old April 4th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Marina" wrote in message
W. Leong wrote:
"badwilson" wrote in message

"W. Leong" wrote in message

m...

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the suggestions. I will vaccum and wash more often.
Rusty only sits in a few places, the rugs and his hammock.
Maybe I should roll up the rugs for the time being.
The easiest thing to do is to confine him to his room which has a tile
floor, no rugs or
furniture except his lawn chair. But he didnt like to be confined there the
last time I had ringworm
and he was negative. Rusty has no fussy toys. All he does is sleep these
day.
I guess that is typical of a mature cat. He is going to be 12 in 2 months.
What did you use to wash your cats? How soon do you take your cats back for
retest? TED only said to go back for another shot of Program in 6 months.
He said the culture test for ringworm is not that reliable. Last time
Rusty's culture
was negative. Yesterday the tips of his ears showed up green under the
special light
they use to test for ringworm. Rusty either got it from me or the other cats
at TED's
when he was boarded there. The only time he goes outside is to TED's.
As for me, I don't know where I got it from. TED said it could be my
immunity is
low. I am thinking of taking some immunity boosting supplements.
Last time I got ringworm was also around Easter. So maybe it has something
to do
with this time of the year.

Winnie

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi

Old April 4th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

W. Leong wrote:
[...]

This makes me wonder if we have the same ringworm here as there. The
treatments are so different. I had to give the cats a liquid medicine
for three weeks (or rather, six weeks: one week of medicating, one week
off, one week on etc), and she gave me a special ringworm shampoo
intended for animals. I only bathed them once (that was quite enough,
for me, and for my sister who helped me). I don't want to scare you or
depress you, but it sounds to me like your vet only wants to treat the
symptoms, not eradicate the spores.

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old April 4th 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Marina" wrote in message

This makes me wonder if we have the same ringworm here as there. The
treatments are so different. I had to give the cats a liquid medicine for
three weeks (or rather, six weeks: one week of medicating, one week off,
one week on etc), and she gave me a special ringworm shampoo intended for
animals. I only bathed them once (that was quite enough, for me, and for
my sister who helped me). I don't want to scare you or depress you, but it
sounds to me like your vet only wants to treat the symptoms, not eradicate
the spores.

You may be right. The only option for me is to take Rusty to see another
vet.
But then the treatment may or may not be the same.
I won't even venture to bath Rusty. I would rather pay for a vet tech or
groomer to bath
him for me. Since I adopted him, Rusty had only 1 bath at TED's.
Do you still have the name of the medication you got for your cats?
I can ask the vet about it. Of course medicines in Finland may not have the
same name in Canada. But that can be a start for further investigation.
My research did show Program being used for the treatment of ringworm on
cats.
TED said some OTC cream or shampoo can work just as well as prescriptions,
which
I think is of higher strength
The Nizoral shampoo he told me to use also showed up in my research as being
used for ringworm. He said to bath Rusty's ears twice a week.

Anyway, I appreciate hearing from your experience.

Winnie

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi

Old April 4th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

W. Leong wrote:
Do you still have the name of the medication you got for your cats?
I can ask the vet about it. Of course medicines in Finland may not have the
same name in Canada.

The medicine is called Itrafungol vet. It's manufactured in Belgium. The
main ingredient is itraconazol. I don't have the shampoo bottle, but it
was in a package that looked the same as the oral meds.

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old April 4th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Sooo sorry that you both now have ringworm. What a pain! Purrs continuing
for Rusty and you, too!
Christine
"W. Leong" wrote in message
We just got home from TED. His fecal samples are negative. But Rusty does
have ringworm on his ears. Not surprising as I have it. Don't know who

gave
to whom.
He got his vaccination and a shot of Program for the ringworm.
Rusty really hissed and growled loudly than ever before when the needles
went in.
I have to bath his ears and give him ringworm lotion. In 6 months he has
to go back
for another Program shot. I will get a urine sample to TED for exam. I did
that
another time using an empty litter box. This is better than having TED

stuck
a catheter
under his tail.
TED also wants to change his diet to Mature Cat formula.
After all, Rusty is now older than me. Good thing he has never refused any
prescription
food.

Thanks for all the purrs and Rusty will keep purring for all other kitties
that
need it.

Winnie

"W. Leong" wrote in message
This morning I woke up to find 'presents' on the floor again. Seems like
the spoonful of
canned pumpkin I gave him last night at bedtime didn't agree with his
tummy.
He loves the pumpkin and has them for a long time.
He is going to TED this afternoon for his shots so I'll bring along a
sample of the 'present' and
a sample from the litter box.

We can use some purrs. This cat is giving me grey hair.

--
Winnie