Special A/C for cats!

Old July 21st 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

Default Special A/C for cats!

Got this idea from discussion in recent thread....

I put 4 plastic gallon jugs filled with water into the freezer last night.
Today they stand two at a time on a towel in front of a floor fan, and in
front of that is a whole bunch of flat cats.

The outdoor temp here today reached 104 F. - with heat index it was probably
over 110 F. Inside the house got uncomfortably warm. I knew this would
happen because the overnight low last night was near 80 so the house
couldn't cool down. But the cats are not suffering!

Old July 21st 06, 02:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"kraut" wrote

No air??

Sure, there's air in the house, or we'd all be dead. It's very warm air
today....

Old July 21st 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Pat wrote:
Got this idea from discussion in recent thread....

I put 4 plastic gallon jugs filled with water into the freezer last
night. Today they stand two at a time on a towel in front of a floor
fan, and in front of that is a whole bunch of flat cats.

The outdoor temp here today reached 104 F. - with heat index it was
probably over 110 F. Inside the house got uncomfortably warm. I knew
this would happen because the overnight low last night was near 80 so
the house couldn't cool down. But the cats are not suffering!

Glad my suggestion/idea helped, Pat! I never thought about frozen jugs of
water! Much better solution than buying bags of ice! Way to go!

Jill

Old July 21st 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Pat wrote:
"kraut" wrote

No air??

Sure, there's air in the house, or we'd all be dead. It's very warm
air today....

ROFLMAO but no air-conditioning, kraut

Jill

Old July 21st 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 20:17:45 -0500, "jmcquown"
wrote:

Pat wrote:
Got this idea from discussion in recent thread....

I put 4 plastic gallon jugs filled with water into the freezer last
night. Today they stand two at a time on a towel in front of a floor
fan, and in front of that is a whole bunch of flat cats.

The outdoor temp here today reached 104 F. - with heat index it was
probably over 110 F. Inside the house got uncomfortably warm. I knew
this would happen because the overnight low last night was near 80 so
the house couldn't cool down. But the cats are not suffering!

Glad my suggestion/idea helped, Pat! I never thought about frozen jugs of
water! Much better solution than buying bags of ice! Way to go!

Just remember that, if your freezer is located inside the house, the
net effect of doing this is to make the house warmer, not cooler. If
you live in a location where doing so is safe, you might want to
consider moving the freezer temporarily out onto the back porch.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old July 21st 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"John F. Eldredge" wrote

Just remember that, if your freezer is located inside the house, the
net effect of doing this is to make the house warmer, not cooler. If
you live in a location where doing so is safe, you might want to
consider moving the freezer temporarily out onto the back porch.

But if the fridge/freezer was outside it would have to work a lot harder
than it does in the house. It's sooooo much hotter out there!

Old July 21st 06, 05:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

wrote:

Pat wrote:
[...]

I didn't realize how much heat a refrigerator puts out until our air
condition quit. Our (small) kitchen was noticeabley hotter than the
living room, esp. in front of the fridge. Cooking was out of the
question. We got really sick of microwave/cold food. But if I lit even
just one burner, for a short period of time,, it raised the temp in the
kitchen terribly fast.
Sherry

Old July 21st 06, 08:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Pat wrote:
"John F. Eldredge" wrote

Just remember that, if your freezer is located inside the house, the
net effect of doing this is to make the house warmer, not cooler. If
you live in a location where doing so is safe, you might want to
consider moving the freezer temporarily out onto the back porch.

But if the fridge/freezer was outside it would have to work a lot
harder than it does in the house. It's sooooo much hotter out there!

I can't imagine having a fridge/freezer on the patio in the southern US
anyway, so that's a moot point as far as I'm concerned. I'm just glad you
were able to have a couple of jugs of frozen water.

Jill