"Why I Am Not Thin" [OT]

Old January 23rd 05, 12:50 AM
Jo Firey

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
CK wrote:
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
Annie Wxill wrote:

One more advantage:

Hefty women are less likely than thin women to get osteoporosis.

Really? I would have thought the opposite, since they(we) put more
strain on the skeletal structure.

I just did a quick search on Google with the words "osteoporosis
likely obese thin". There is plenty of info on the net on big ppl not
getting osteoporosis as easily as thin ones, but here's one example:

http://www2.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases...teoporosis.htm

QUOTE
People with a BMI of 21 or less have a higher rate of bone loss than
those who are heavier, and obese people have lower rates of bone loss
than those who are ideal weight.
UNQUOTE

But what if we(thinner) folks drink milk every day and also eat lots of
other forms of calcium? I'm not trying to buck the posts, but I doubt
being
overweight has any real benefit over not being overweight.

I did find the post amusing; I like to eat, too. I simply have a genetic
predisposition to being short and skinny. But Mom wears a size 0 or 2 and
thinks I'm "fat" because I wear a size 6 or 8. I suppose when I'm 79 (if
live that long) I'll be back to a size 2, too.)

Jill

You just have to be extra careful since you are in a high risk group. Make
sure you get enough sunshine and Vit D so you can use the calcium and enough
weight bearing exercise to keep your bones strong.

Plus a risk factor is only that. Kind of like gambling with a point spread.
Not a certainty. I have osteopenia. I'm heavy but was thin growing up,
took too much prednisone over the years and have all Scot or Brit ancestors.

Jo

Old January 23rd 05, 02:13 AM
Mischief

I don't want to go on a huge rant, because for me this is a sensitive
subject since my mom is a personal trainer and is ALWAYS on me about my
weight. But here's my two cents

For the last 2-3 years I have had to listen to my mother, father AND
brother talk about the horrors and dangers of type 2 diabetes and how I
am at a huge risk because I'm overweight. Mom and Dad are convinced
about the stupid Body Mass Index and since I'm five feet tall, I should
be close to 100 pounds.

I am 26, five feet tall, and currently weigh 137 pounds. Currently I
am doing springboard diving training 5 times a week and some of those
days are double practices(morning and evening). I haven't been really
losing any weight, but I can definitely tell that I'm getting stronger
and toning up.

But my mother feels this is still a problem because I'm not losing
weight. Oh boo hoo (with major sarcasm) I know that I'm gaining
muscle, so I'm not really that worried.

About a year or two ago I got so fed up with her lectures and her
mailing me articles on Type 2 diabetes, I finally went to my doctor for
a blood test. The doctor looked at the results during my physical and
said,
"Your blood sugar is 86, and though you are in a high risk group (Asian
and slightly overweight) you are in no danger. So what do I have to do
to convince you that you don't have type 2 diabetes?"

I said "it's not ME that needs the convincing!!"

My mom doesn't believe me doctor and claims he's not reading the latest
research. So I faxed her a copy of my blood test. That still didn't
shut her up.

I know all about osteoporosis, and yes mom I know I'm getting older you
don't have to remind me!

I'm training a lot as it is, and I feel just fine. Sure I could lose
about 10 pounds, but I'm not going to stress out about it. I have a
LOT more things to worry about, like not getting depressed because I
don't have a boyfriend and its almost February (but that's another
rant)

I think what really ticks me off is no matter what I say to my mother,
she's never going to stop harping on me. *sigh* I could be rich, have
a loving husband, be skinny as a rake and totally happy, and I know she
would STILL find something to rant about. grrrrrrrrrrrr............

Okay, that's enough......breathe breathe breathe........go cuddle a
kitty.....

Kristi

Old January 23rd 05, 04:03 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Mischief
at
wrote on 1/22/05 8:13 PM:

[...]

Wow. You're mom is definitely paranoid. You are doing fine. And I certainly
don't think you qualify as "fat". No wonder you like being at school!

Old January 23rd 05, 04:20 AM
Tanada

Mischief wrote:

I think what really ticks me off is no matter what I say to my mother,
she's never going to stop harping on me. *sigh* I could be rich, have
a loving husband, be skinny as a rake and totally happy, and I know she
would STILL find something to rant about. grrrrrrrrrrrr............

Okay, that's enough......breathe breathe breathe........go cuddle a
kitty.....

Kristi

WOW, your mom is really out there, isn't she. Can someone slip her a
major dose of valium?

Pam S. with great sympathy
Old January 23rd 05, 06:00 AM
Sherry

I don't want to go on a huge rant, because for me this is a sensitive
subject since my mom is a personal trainer and is ALWAYS on me about my
weight. But here's my two cents

For the last 2-3 years I have had to listen to my mother, father AND
brother talk about the horrors and dangers of type 2 diabetes and how I
am at a huge risk because I'm overweight. Mom and Dad are convinced
about the stupid Body Mass Index and since I'm five feet tall, I should
be close to 100 pounds.

I am 26, five feet tall, and currently weigh 137 pounds.

137 sounds like a healthy size. Try not to listen to people who criticize that.
I think women with curves are much prettier than reed-thin models.
Sherry
Old January 23rd 05, 08:41 AM
Mischief

I don't know what medication she's on, but she's partly the reason why
I'm on antidepressents.

and yes, this is why I decided to move to Los Angeles and why I only go
home 2-3 times a year.

At least she is a bit better now. I don't feel like reaching through
the phone and strangling her........at least not EVERY time........

Okay, gettin worked up again.......must find a kitty to
cuddle.............

Thanks for your support guys.

I must admit, everyone I've told this to agree that my mom is totally
OUT THERE!!!

Kristi

Old January 23rd 05, 09:26 AM
Exocat

A masterful exposition.

Of course, I can't really understand it as I seem to have willpower to
burn: I've been on a gradual treat-free more-exercise weight-loss
programme for exactly 2 years and have trimmed down from 228 lbs (103.4
kilos) to 182 lbs (82.5 kilos), which
is my weight from 20 years ago and is ideal for me (allegedly).

Mind you, I reckon that if I can do it - I'm as much of a treat-seeking
missile as any fury master - anyone can, given the incentive (high blood
pressure and too much weight compressing my lumbar spine in my case).

So good luck to anybody who tries.

Gordon & the TT (aka Drogon from Proxima Alpha Centauri)

"CatNipped" wrote

"Why I Am Not Thin" by Lori Crews

1. Starving tends to be painful.

Old January 23rd 05, 09:36 AM
jmcquown

Jo Firey wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
Annie Wxill wrote:

[...]

suppose when I'm 79 (if I
live that long) I'll be back to a size 2, too.)

Jill

You just have to be extra careful since you are in a high risk group.
Make sure you get enough sunshine

Sunshine? I know, but I avoid the sun like the plague. I burn at the drop
of a hat. I have to wear 40 SPF sunscreen. I'm clearly representative of
my Scottish ancestry.

Jill

Old January 23rd 05, 06:28 PM
Jo Firey

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Jo Firey wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
Annie Wxill wrote:

[...]

Ten minutes a day is plenty. In good weather it is almost impossible to get
less than that. In the winter its worth sitting outside for just a little
while.

This is partly how us Scots got such thin bones, We don't tend to be sun
worshipers.

Jo

Old January 23rd 05, 07:51 PM
SUQKRT

In article , Cheryl Perkins
wrote:

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:
One more advantage:

Hefty women are less likely than thin women to get osteoporosis.

Really? I would have thought the opposite, since they(we)
put more strain on the skeletal structure.

No, it's not caused by strain, but maybe by hormone levels and other
things that aren't well understood IIRC. Diet comes into it, and
excercise. Small skinny white women are the ones at the highest risk for

osteoporosis, especially if they don't eat well and never do
weight-bearing exercise.

Strain on the joints, especially knees, now that's something that might
be
more common in larger than smaller women.

--
Cheryl

Heavy women produce more estrogen. Women with low estrogen levels loose more
bone.
Suz
Macmoosette

"People that hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."
--Faith Resnick

|\__/|
(=':'=)
(")_(")