Am I living in a Soap Opera?

Old March 21st 04, 05:11 PM
Ted Davis

Default Am I living in a Soap Opera?

On 21 Mar 2004 15:43:48 GMT, CATherine
wrote:

Am I living in a soap opera or what?

You are living with multiple cats. Cats don't have strictly ordered
social structures - theirs are more like human ones:different orders
in different situations and with different combinations. Sometimes
there may be a clearly alpha cat that yields to what appears to be a
much lower ranked cat in some places or with some combinations of cats
present. My Fleagor is alpha when Mickey is not around, but he yields
to Fluffy in the bedroom, and Mickey yields to nearly all of the
others when he's actually on the bed.

T.E.D. - e-mail must contain "T.E.D." or my .sig in the body)
Old March 21st 04, 05:13 PM

On 21 Mar 2004 15:43:48 GMT, CATherine
wrote:

Relationships around here are no longer like they are supposed to be
in the world of cats. The pecking order no longer rules. Now I
sometimes feel like I am living in a soap opera.

For many years Amber has been the top cat with Djoser trying to oust
him once in awhile and getting trounced. Then Djoser would pick on
Sheba. Sheba would complain to me and I would soothe everyone. The
balance was upset the day Robin arrived; only no-one knew it at the
time. Robin is insidious and subtle and has a sense of humor.

Soon Robin and Amber were playing together. Robin and Sheba became
food-buddies as he waited for his share of her food. He even got the
Black Panther aka Djoser to quit screaming and attacking him. Now
Djoser just jumps at Robin with no screaming or claws. Robin flattens
and draws back.

Then I got to noticing Lord Amber giving way to Robin; sometimes
acting like he had been trounced. One day Amber was lying in my spot
on the bed. Robin came up and jumped on him and bit his ears. Amber
took off. Then Robin sat near the pillow waiting for me to sit down in
my vacated spot. Robin has let everyone know that he "owns" me. Even
at feeding time he sits between my feet and slaps at Sheba if she gets
too close.

You might think from all this that Robin rules the roost. But, look
again at the earlier paragraph with Djoser. Djoser does not kowtow to
Robin. He just simply quit using claws as they were no longer needed.
Since Amber gives way to Robin, you might think Djoser rules the
roost. Not so. Amber rules Djoser.

But Amber still likes Sheba and she likes him except when he is in a
temper. Djoser still intimidates Sheba and Robin. Robin likes Sheba
and she likes him. He only slaps at her at feeding time. Robin and
Amber still play together except when Robin decides Amber needs
trouncing.

And then there is Shasta. She has always got after Sheba. We think it
is because of the similarity of their names. (I read an article one
time about pets being jealous of similar names.) Shasta has always
been good buddies with Amber. All the older cats have learned not to
run and trigger Shasta's chasing instinct. Robin hasn't learned that.
But Shasta doesn't chase him. They have been friends from the very
first moment Robin appeared.

So Djoser can chase Robin to the livingroom and Robin can run all the
way while Djoser suddenly stops and walks. Amber can chase Djoser to
the livingroom and Shasta will go after Djoser. The 3 boys are pretty
silent but Sheba growls while playing and that triggers Shasta. So a
boycat can jump on Sheba, she growls, Shasta jumps on poor Sheba.

But when human food is on the table, the balance shifts again. Sheba
is to the fore and aggressive while Shasta hangs back. Robin thinks he
owns my plate as well as me. He tries to help himself. Amber and
Djoser wait; Amber on the windowsill so he can tap my arm and Djoser
at my knee with claws out. Any food that is dropped, Sheba slaps the
boys so she can get it. Shasta waits for left-overs and the empty
plates.

Am I living in a soap opera or what?

Some family dynamics going on there.

Old March 21st 04, 07:37 PM
Kreisleriana

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 18:38:22 GMT, O J yodeled:

On 21 Mar, CATherine wrote:

---------------------snip----------------------
Am I living in a soap opera or what?

What else can you expect! Isn't it worth it though?

Regards and Purrs,
O J

I know. I would get annoyed, but still think it was all cute.

Theresa

Single-mindedness is all very well in cows or baboons; in an animal
claiming to belong to the same species as Shakespeare it is simply disgraceful.
(Aldous Huxley)

Old March 21st 04, 11:39 PM
m. L. Briggs

wrote:

[...]

It sounds like a 3-ring circus!
Old March 22nd 04, 03:21 AM
Christine Burel

CATherine, I can sure relate to this story! Our kitty dynamics also changed
when Tucker came into the household. Our pecking order as to top cat is
between Midnight and Tucker, and Middie will pick a fight with Tucker just
'cause she's feeling ornery. Omar also picks fights with Tucker because he
dislikes Tucker on general principles; Oreo hisses at Tucker along the lines
of "He's looking at me! Hssspit." Poor Tucker just can't go anywhere easily
in our house although at times the above kitties will "tolerate" him. He
has learned to come to the humans for his attention and he adores my
daughter, Celeste. I just wish the other cats would like him. I've tried
feeding them all treats when he's in their presence and I do use Feliway
diffusers and spray...Robin is a little afraid of Tucker, which is too bad
because he used to let Tucker wash his head; now he backs away. Robin gets
along with Oreo and washes the top of her head; Robin and Midnight pretty
much get along but not if Midnight's being persnickety. Omar pretty much
ignores Robin.
We have a soap going on, too!
Christine

Old March 23rd 04, 04:34 AM
Sherry

My Fleagor is alpha when Mickey is not around, but he yields
to Fluffy in the bedroom, and Mickey yields to nearly all of the
others when he's actually on the bed.

Yes, I have noticed that my house, and even my bed, are divided into
micro-territories.

CATherine

My cats are pretty accustomed to newcomers now and then since I take in strays
sometimes. The funny thing is, if I get a new stray, he's the interloper and
picked on...until the next stray comes in. Then suddenly the first newcomer
gets accepted into the "in club." Sort of like 3rd-grade playground cliques.

Sherry
Old March 23rd 04, 04:34 AM
Marina

"CATherine" wrote

Relationships around here are no longer like they are supposed to be
in the world of cats. The pecking order no longer rules. Now I
sometimes feel like I am living in a soap opera.

The social interactions of cats are strange, aren't they? I only have two,
but even with so few, I'm baffled. Frank clearly defers to me, and Nikki
clearly defers to Frank, but Nikki most certainly does not defer to me. Then
sometimes, Frank decides he's top cat after all, and I'd better defer to
him. And then, once in a blue moon, Nikki refuses to budge from Frank's spot
on the bed. It's all very complicated, and I don't understand a thing, but
then I'm only a stupid hoomin, so you can't expect me to. ;o)

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old March 23rd 04, 05:03 AM
Steve Touchstone

On 23 Mar 2004 04:07:12 GMT, CATherine
wrote:

wrote:

Am I living in a soap opera or what?

You are living with multiple cats. Cats don't have strictly ordered
social structures - theirs are more like human ones:different orders
in different situations and with different combinations. Sometimes
there may be a clearly alpha cat that yields to what appears to be a
much lower ranked cat in some places or with some combinations of cats
present. My Fleagor is alpha when Mickey is not around, but he yields
to Fluffy in the bedroom, and Mickey yields to nearly all of the
others when he's actually on the bed.

Yes, I have noticed that my house, and even my bed, are divided into
micro-territories.

CATherine

I agree, I don't think cats have top cats like dogs. Around here,
Rocky pretty much gets what he wants by just pushing in and taking
whatever it is. He never hisses or acts hostile, just ignores anyone
in his way. That's pretty much the same way he ruled the neighborhood
when he was feral, although back then every so often one of the others
would challenge and there's be a fight.

Actually, my bunch get along pretty well. Little Bit is the only one
who ever hisses at anyone, but they never fight. She usually backs
off, but if she's on the bed or the recliner she hisses and usually
the others back off.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old March 24th 04, 03:22 AM
Takayuki

"Marina" wrote:

The social interactions of cats are strange, aren't they? I only have two,
but even with so few, I'm baffled. Frank clearly defers to me, and Nikki
clearly defers to Frank, but Nikki most certainly does not defer to me. Then
sometimes, Frank decides he's top cat after all, and I'd better defer to
him. And then, once in a blue moon, Nikki refuses to budge from Frank's spot
on the bed. It's all very complicated, and I don't understand a thing, but
then I'm only a stupid hoomin, so you can't expect me to. ;o)

Since Frank always backs down when you sit too close to him, your butt
is actually the master of the household!

BTW, how does one defer to kitties? Are we supposed to let them feed
us and carry us around while singing lullabies?