"The Perricone Promise" - OT

Old August 4th 05, 12:59 AM
CatNipped

Default "The Perricone Promise" - OT

Has anyone heard of the above diet book?

I have been researching "holistic" things I could do that might help me with
my fibromyalgia. Happens that this guy was on "Oprah" on a show about the
new anti-aging technology. He claims that the signs of aging are caused buy
inflammation at the cellular level"

Here's an excerpt from chapter one.

"When I wrote The Wrinkle Cure and The Perricone Prescription, I introduced
the Inflammation-Aging Connection-the concept that inflammation at the
cellular level is the single most powerful cause of the signs of aging.
That's not to mention the correlation between inflammation and such chronic
diseases as arthritis, diabetes, Alzheimer's, cancer, and strokes. "

OK, I don't think a diet is going to make me look like a 30-year-old, but
the diet itself isn't a "fad one" - not unreasonable restrictions on fat,
carbs, etc. But if there is *anything* to the food-inflammation connection,
I got to thinking it might be good, if not for my fibro, then maybe for my
degenerative disk disease.

In any case he instructs you to eat plenty of foods high in anti-oxidants,
avoid sugar, plenty of fresh fruits and veggies, and green tea, so I figure
it can't hurt.

I ordered the book on Amazon, but was wondering if anyone else had any
knowledge or experience with this diet.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old August 4th 05, 01:07 AM
Jo Firey

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

You aren't going to find a dietary cure. But the things you mentioned
certainly won't hurt you and should make you feel better.

I just started the sub-lingual B vitamins someone here mentioned. Way too
soon to say they are great, but I did get a lot done the last few days.
Another "can't hurt, might help"

I'm managing to avoid sugar. Wish I could kick white flour.

Jo

Old August 4th 05, 01:07 AM
CatNipped

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

That was me! Yeah, the sublingual B vitamins give me *enormous* amounts of
energy - give 'em about a week to 10 days to start kicking in good.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old August 4th 05, 01:22 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-08-03, CatNipped penned:

In any case he instructs you to eat plenty of foods high in
anti-oxidants, avoid sugar, plenty of fresh fruits and veggies, and
green tea, so I figure it can't hurt.

All of that sounds good; be careful with the green tea, as it does
have caffeine.

I've been trying to avoid sweets. Today the bowls at work have
lollipops in them. My favorite! Despite my team lead slurping on
them in plain view, I've managed thus far to resist. I figure if I
resist today, they'll be gone by tomorrow and I won't have to worry
about it any more.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old August 4th 05, 01:36 AM
Howard C. Berkowitz

In article , "CatNipped"
wrote:

Has anyone heard of the above diet book?

I have been researching "holistic" things I could do that might help me
with
my fibromyalgia. Happens that this guy was on "Oprah" on a show about
the
new anti-aging technology. He claims that the signs of aging are caused
buy
inflammation at the cellular level"

I'm afraid that comes across as gibberish. It's not especially
meaningful to speak of inflammation at the level of an individual cell;
it's more of a tissue-level, multiple-cell issue at the simplest. To get
more specific into things we actually understand, pain, even if blocked
from consciousness but not with full anesthesia, causes the autonomic
system to release inflammatory transmitters called prostaglandins --
which cause more pain. The survival benefit of this seemingly perverse
mechanism appears to be "self-splinting" by forcing one to hold an
injured part rigid.

I'd want an explanation of how the known inflammatory substances work in
his model, and how diet affects them. Prostaglandins. Kallikrein.
Leukotrienes. Bradykinin. Interleukins. Histamines. Tumor necrosis
factor alpha...and so forth.
Old August 4th 05, 01:38 AM
CatNipped

"Howard C. Berkowitz" wrote in message
In article , "CatNipped"
wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I read more about it* after I posted here and decided to cancel my
Amazon order. But you've made it easier to understand *why* it sounds like
gibberish.

*It seems the diet consists of a lot of *expensive* supplements - preferably
his brand - and things I *know* I won't eat or drink.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old August 4th 05, 01:52 AM
W. Leong

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

What is sub-lingual B vitamins? What is the difference between it and
'regular'
vitamin B? I have been taking a vitamin B complex pill evey day for years.

Winnie

Old August 4th 05, 01:53 AM
Jo Firey

"Howard C. Berkowitz" wrote in message
To get
more specific into things we actually understand, pain, even if blocked
from consciousness but not with full anesthesia, causes the autonomic
system to release inflammatory transmitters called prostaglandins --
which cause more pain. The survival benefit of this seemingly perverse
mechanism appears to be "self-splinting" by forcing one to hold an
injured part rigid.

That is one of the most enlightening things I've read in a long time. As in
WOW.

I have a type of inflammatory arthritis. Now at least I have some
understanding of why I have stiff joints. Not the prostaglandins stuff.
That I knew. But I'd never heard or thought of the concept of "self
splinting".

Jo

Old August 4th 05, 02:00 AM
Annie Wxill

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
All of that sounds good; be careful with the green tea, as it does
have caffeine.

monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

I drink decaffeinated green tea and some herbal teas, which naturally do not
have caffeine.
Annie

Old August 4th 05, 02:14 AM
CatNipped

"W. Leong" wrote in message
. ..

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

When I had my gastric bypass surgery they told me that I would either have
to get a B Complex vitamin shot every month or take the sub-lingual B
Complex vitamins every day - so I'm guessing they're equivalent. I've heard
that B vitamins are hard (or maybe impossible?) to absorb through the
stomach (Howard?).

All I know is that I have *never* had so much energy in my entire life - not
even when I was a kid (and that's saying something for a person with ADHD!).
;

BTW, you can get the sublingual B Complex vitamins at Walgreens for about $5
for a 2 - 3 month supply.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Winnie