Need suggestions for high calorie canned food for Fatass' assisted feeding...

Old August 17th 05, 02:20 PM

Default Need suggestions for high calorie canned food for Fatass' assisted feeding...

Well, aside from a handful of treats, Fatass has not eaten for two days
without my assistance. (I am giving her about 40-50ml of IVD canned
per day.)

I need suggestions for the highest quality, highest calorie dense food
that can be fed through a syringe. Palatability is not an issue since
it is going in whether she likes it or not.

Funny, after work yesterday I was hoping to see an empty or 1/2 empty
food dish, but no deal. I gave her 2mg of Cypro, 1/4 pepcid, 250ml of
ringers, and 40ml of IVD with the syringe, and she perked up quite a
bit, all the way through this morning...I wake up, and she is there
purring on the edge of the bed. (this has been a seldom occurance in
the past couple of weeks, so I am thinking she is feeling better.)

But again, downstairs this morning, the smorgasboard I left for her was
again untouched. I gave her more cypro, her daily norvasc, and a small
syringe of IVD (I think a teaspoon worth) and hope that I get home
tonight and see some freakin' food gone.

I am ready to go with another 50ml when I get home from work, but I am
thinking the IVD, with its low protien content, is not as dense in
calories as others might be.

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated. I need to pull her out of
this.

Thanks,

Bluesman

Old August 17th 05, 02:31 PM
Karen

Well, I think you want a/d available from the vet. I do not even need to
thin it for syringe feeding and it is calorie dense.

ps.com...

Old August 17th 05, 06:09 PM

Yup, I have some nutri-cal - and I did have a big can f the a/d, but
Fats hated it...I will get a few more cans from the vet.

In the meantime, I just went to Petsmart (what a ripoff) and scoured
the aisles for canned foods with the highest fat and lowest phosphorus
content...strangely enough, it was all Kitten food. Science, Mother
Hubbard, and Nutro.

I am also looking into mixing the food with a small amount of
olive/vegetable/flax/fish oil to increase calories, as long as it
doesn't cause explosive sh!ts or projectile barfing. If anyone has
thoughts on the use of oil, let me know.

Thanks,

Bluesman

Old August 17th 05, 08:41 PM
MaryL

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Please reconsider your course of action. I read this message and also your
that she is crashing, and I think her only hope if for your to place her
with your vet for a couple of days and let the clinic provide the type of
care that she needs. This is not a do-it-yourself project, and the longer
you delay the more damage will be done. I realize that you hate the thought
of leaving her with strangers, but it is something that needs to be done.
Would you take an infant or an elderly parent to the hospital in similar
circumstances? I'm sure you would, and I think the same action is called
for here. Please take her in ASAP and take along some towels or clothing
with your scent on them to place with her. You could also make arrangements
for visitation while she is there. This may be painful for you, but this
way you will know that you have done everything possible to help your kitty
through this crisis. Without proper medical care, I am sure that she will
not survive much longer. With medical care, she may have a chance.

MaryL

Old August 17th 05, 09:44 PM
chas

If she's not eating at all then give her normal food and forget the diet.
Once she's back eating you can perhaps wean her back onto the diet.

A CRF cat cannot afford not to eat.

I never realised how depressed my cat was until I stopped the diet and gave
her normal food. It was thought she was CRF but now turns out she was not -
although she does only have one working kidney.

The diet was making my cat ill in other ways and the vet was only guessing
in the end so I made the decision to stop the diet and we have not looked
back since. My cat is happy, active and now a completely different cat. She
has also put on much needed weight.

It's quality of life that counts. Not quantity.

chas

Old August 17th 05, 11:00 PM
Newbie

: In the meantime, I just went to Petsmart (what a ripoff)

What do you dislike about petsmart, and where do you like to shop?

Petsmart and Target are two stores near me. Of the two, Petsmart has
better selection as well as prices. However, I haven't checked many
other stores.
Old August 18th 05, 02:54 PM

I appreciate your thoughts, but she is already bouncing back. And she
is receiving proper medical care. She has been to the vet 5 times in
three months, she receives meds and sub-q's religiously...The vet gave
hospitalization as an option, leaving it to me to base my decision
BECAUSE I KNOW THE CAT.

Her appetite and energy levels are better each day than they were last
Friday when I brought her in. She ate 6 oz on her own yesterday, no
need for syringe feeding at all, even though I was ready to go with it.

If she worsens, I will reconsider - but if she continues to improve,
she stays at home.

The next blood and BP test for her is scheduled for 9/2. (2 1/2 more
weeks.)

Bluesman