[OT] Makeup

Old May 8th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Makeup

Holy cow. One wonders where we'd be now if they'd put this kind of
effort into the EDUCATION of young women instead.
My school uniform thankfully didn't ban or require bras, but it did
specify dark green knickers. Thankfully they didn't run regular checks

Every first PE lesson of term, we had to strip completely naked and
stand in the gym while the PE teacher and a couple of other teachers
made sure that we didn't have non-regulation clothes and that
everything had our name on it (One girl got engaged in the last year
and they confiscated her engagement ring because their argument was you
couldn't put a name tag on it)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old May 8th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Lesley wrote:
Holy cow. One wonders where we'd be now if they'd put this kind of
effort into the EDUCATION of young women instead.
My school uniform thankfully didn't ban or require bras, but it did
specify dark green knickers. Thankfully they didn't run regular
checks

Every first PE lesson of term, we had to strip completely naked and
stand in the gym while the PE teacher and a couple of other teachers
made sure that we didn't have non-regulation clothes and that
everything had our name on it (One girl got engaged in the last year
and they confiscated her engagement ring because their argument was
you couldn't put a name tag on it)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

It's amazing how recently what would now, rightly, be considered child
abuse, was accepted as normal.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old May 8th 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Cheryl Perkins wrote:
Adrian A wrote:

It's amazing how recently what would now, rightly, be considered
child abuse, was accepted as normal.

It *was* normal for that time and place, presumably, or the girls'
mothers would have had them out of that school. I grew up with the
other extreme being normal - you didn't even strip off in front of
the other girls in a changing room, much less in front of your
teachers. You used the changing cubicles.

Does anyone besides me wonder what aspect of society we consider
perfectly normal today will be considered abusive or disgusting by
our children or grandchildren? I'm sure there's lots of things, but I
can't decide which ones they will be, except that I think eventually
smoking in public will become fashionable again, possibly with the
inclusion of both marijuana and tobacco. I hope it won't happen until
I'm in my grave, though.

Personally, I think smoking in a room with children present is abuse, after
all they usually have no choice.

Old May 8th 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] Makeup / now Freecycle complaints

In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've had about 90% awful experiences with Freecycle. Well, more than
that. The main HQ folks don't police the lists. List moderators don't
follow thier own rules, and rumors abound of list owners scarfing up
all the good stuff. I was a moderator on one list, got no support from
the list owner, the other moderator made life miserable for everyone
on the list. I kept sending violations emails to HQ, and they kept not
doing anything about it.

So, I started my own list.....

I'm sorry you've had such trouble!! I started my own list when I moved
and the town I moved to didn't have one, and now I own one list, moderate
a 2nd, and belong to several other local lists, just to watch. Several of
our towns are very close together geographically. Anyway, we've had very
few problems. My list is a joy to run, and I have had exactly ONE person
cause a problem and have to be banned. A few others needed a talking-to,
and the rest is easy peasy. LOVE IT. I've given away lots of stuff and
gotten lots of stuff, and I hope I haven't mis-used the owner/moderator
priveleges. I don't answer until something is actually posted.

However, a friend of mine belongs to a list 50 miles to the south of me,
and she hates it. They have a good 90% of no-shows, and she's wasted
far too much gas trying to pick up items that were given away before she
got there. The owner/moderators won't do anything. She's frustrated and
upset. She's finally just giving stuff to me for my group, because her
group is jsut about useless.

It's all in the moderators, I guess. I'm on the modsquad list and honestly
I think some of them are micromanagers, but hey, whatever works for me.
I have a very light hand in the moderating, and things get moved along
very nicely. Freecycle rocks.

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita

Old May 8th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I'm guessing it was a local thing. One of the Freecycle rules is that
there can be only one list for any particular city or area. So, if the
one list is not well run, I can't set up another Freecycle list.
However, I did set up a list with a different name. Actually, I know
at least one other fellow who set up a same idea / different name
list.

Glad it worked out for you, at least mostly so.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

I'm sorry. I've given away and received several things on freecycle,
and the only "bad" experience I had was one guy who was actually
receiving something from me. We agreed on a location, but he was so
late the first time that I'd already left, and the second time I
almost gave up, too. But it worked out.

So, I started my own list.....

Sounds like the right thing to do.

--