Marlo gets (temporarily) rehomed

Old August 17th 16, 04:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

Default Marlo gets (temporarily) rehomed

I was due to take Marlo to the vet for a progress report on Monday and
I was trying to figure out how to deal with going away next week.
Marlo needs to wear her Elizasoft Collar and can't eat with the other
cats so I've been leaving her in the spare bedroom (and sleeping with
her so she isn't totally alone).

I couldn't figure out how a cat sitter could deal with this, and I
started thinking that maybe I would board her again, like I did the
last time I went away. Still, I hate the idea of her being locked in a
cage for a week.

Then I thought of Mom, who lives a few blocks away, I figured that I'd
see how she would feel about having a cat for a few weeks. The vet
thought it was a good idea, so I took Marlo and a litter box and her
special Marlo food and off we went to Mom's. Mom was out playing
Canasta with the girls (average age 85) so I just moved Marlo into her
spare bedroom and left a note on the door suggesting that Mom not open
the door until I came back.

Well, it's the Olympics and I've been spending a fair amount of time
over at Mom's watching, so we had dinner and I opened the door to
Marlo's room and she came out and investigated her vacation Dacha.
When she returned to her room I closed the door and went home. I came
by again this morning, fed her, and let her out of the room again,
this time permanently since she had used the litter box.

That's the story at the moment. I'll visit often over the next few
days as Marlo gets more comfortable, and then head to NY. At least
Marlo will have someone around much of the time and will be away from
Baby, with whom she has some sort of tension. Hopefully she'll stop
the overgrooming issue since she's away from Baby.

I do intend to bring Marlo back home when I get back, but I'm not sure
about that. If Mom really likes her, and Marlo seems happy as an only
cat, maybe we'll keep it this way. Most likely I'll just bring her
home again but I'm keeping an open mind. I don't think Mom wants her
as a long term guest, but maybe they'll hit it off. It would solve a
few problems.

That's the current news.
Old August 17th 16, 11:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/16/2016 11:33 PM, dgk wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the update. It's entirely possible Marlo would be happier
as an only-cat. Perhaps your mom will take a shine to her. That would
definitely solve a few problems and you could still visit. Please keep
us informed. Oh, and enjoy your trip!

Jill
Old August 28th 16, 02:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 12:20:58 +0100, Judith Latham

I do intend to bring Marlo back home when I get back, but I'm not sure
about that. If Mom really likes her, and Marlo seems happy as an only
cat, maybe we'll keep it this way. Most likely I'll just bring her
home again but I'm keeping an open mind. I don't think Mom wants her
as a long term guest, but maybe they'll hit it off. It would solve a
few problems.

That's the current news.

Glad to see all is working out fine so far.

Judith

I'm back from NY and had lots of fun watching the US Open Tennis
Tournament. Well, actually that's just beginning but I watched the
qualifying tournament, which is more fun since I get to watch the
future stars trying to get into the main draw.

Marlo is no longer afraid of Mom, and is even sitting with her all the
time, and Mom thinks that Marlo is really cute and fun to have around.
And pretty. Marlo likes being told that she's pretty, and in fact she
is. She has a little head with big eyes. She also has a pretty big
body but is losing weight on her diet.

Marlo was happy to see me, and she does have a bit of fur on her
abdomen so maybe she's not overgrooming. I'll have t vet take a look
in a week or so. For now, Marlo stays with Mom.
Old August 28th 16, 05:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
The New Other Guy

On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 21:37:26 -0400, dgk wrote:

For now, Marlo stays with Mom.

Sounds like the best thing for all concerned.

Old August 28th 16, 03:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

On 8/27/2016 8:37 PM, dgk wrote:

Marlo is no longer afraid of Mom, and is even sitting with her all the
time, and Mom thinks that Marlo is really cute and fun to have around.
And pretty. Marlo likes being told that she's pretty, and in fact she
is. She has a little head with big eyes. She also has a pretty big
body but is losing weight on her diet.

Marlo was happy to see me, and she does have a bit of fur on her
abdomen so maybe she's not overgrooming. I'll have t vet take a look
in a week or so. For now, Marlo stays with Mom.

This sounds like it would be a good permanent home for Marlo, and also
nice for Mom. Nice result!!

MaryL

Old August 31st 16, 05:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 20:39:31 +0100, Judith Latham
wrote:

as an only
cat, maybe we'll keep it this way. Most likely I'll just bring h

Everyone seems to think so! I just took Marlo to the vet and she has
to wear the Elizabethean Collar a few more weeks - until the fur grows
back on the abdomen. The vet says that it will itch her until it grows
back, so she needs to collar on even though the real source of the
irritation is at my house (that would be Baby, even though it really
isn't Baby's fault). So she's at Mom's for at least another three
weeks. Then we'll see.
Old August 31st 16, 11:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_6_]

wrote:

as an only
cat, maybe we'll keep it this way. Most likely I'll just bring h

Everyone seems to think so! I just took Marlo to the vet and she has
to wear the Elizabethean Collar a few more weeks - until the fur grows
back on the abdomen. The vet says that it will itch her until it grows
back, so she needs to collar on even though the real source of the
irritation is at my house (that would be Baby, even though it really
isn't Baby's fault). So she's at Mom's for at least another three
weeks. Then we'll see.

When I put a collar on Kerry after her spay, she immediately rid herself
of it. I put it back on, fastening it tighter. That worked briefly, but
when I saw her later in the day, it was gone and that time I didn't find
it again for a couple of months. Eventually, when I was digging out a
large pot I don't use very often, I spotted the collar behind it in the
dark recesses of the cupboard. By that time, she had made an uneventful
recovery and the fur all grew back just fine, but I ended up
substituting obsessive checking of her belly for signs of problems for
the use of a collar.

--
Cheryl
Old September 1st 16, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

wrote:

[...]

What a smart kitty! She hid the collar successfully so you didn't find
it until it was no longer needed. Even the fact that she understood that
she should hide it from you is pretty amazing. Cats in the wild do hide
their kills from other predators, but that doesn't mean they would think
of hiding something from a human that they don't want the human to use on
them. Different motivation.

--
Joyce

No one should try to hit another's bumper. But bumper bumpage is a part of
life. Yawn and get on with it. -- Gene Weingarten
Old September 1st 16, 01:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

What a smart kitty! She hid the collar successfully so you didn't find
it until it was no longer needed. Even the fact that she understood that
she should hide it from you is pretty amazing. Cats in the wild do hide
their kills from other predators, but that doesn't mean they would think
of hiding something from a human that they don't want the human to use on
them. Different motivation.

When we were in a top-floor city flat, one of our cats managed to
biff the "don't do that" water spray bottle off the windowsill
so it landed in an inaccessible courtyard.

Old September 9th 16, 04:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven[_2_]

On Wednesday, August 31, 2016 at 8:36:00 PM UTC-4, Jack Campin wrote:
What a smart kitty! She hid the collar successfully so you didn't find
it until it was no longer needed. Even the fact that she understood that
she should hide it from you is pretty amazing. Cats in the wild do hide
their kills from other predators, but that doesn't mean they would think
of hiding something from a human that they don't want the human to use on
them. Different motivation.

When we were in a top-floor city flat, one of our cats managed to
biff the "don't do that" water spray bottle off the windowsill
so it landed in an inaccessible courtyard.

When I was learning how to play the harmonica, my cat Feather put it with his little collection of mousie corpses.

--
Will now in Pompano Beach

More on Marlo dgk Cat anecdotes 11 July 23rd 16 12:10 PM
Temporarily usenet-handicapped Kajikit Cat anecdotes 2 May 2nd 07 06:29 PM
Kate and Jack get sprung (temporarily) [email protected] Cat anecdotes 5 December 14th 05 03:21 AM
Help please ! - temporarily adopted cat Daytona Cat health & behaviour 52 August 11th 05 04:10 AM
We are temporarily off the air... Daniel Mahoney Cat community 4 May 1st 04 02:36 AM