new 5 month old brothers are scared

Old July 30th 06, 07:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
LM007

Default new 5 month old brothers are scared

My boyfriend and I just adopted 2 five month old kitties today. we put them
in the bathroom with litter, food, a bed and some toys. they have been hiding
under the tub all day. we reached in a pulled them out a couple of times and
they stayed ont he couch with us for about 5 minutes. I started reading about
feral cats- the vet found them with abandoned but I don't know how young they
were. I'm worried that 5 months is too old and they won't be happy and
socialized well. did I make a mistake. should we have gotten younger kittens.

is it ok to let them roam around while we're home and then shut thier door
when we're out or should we just keep thier door shut all the time and go in
and lie on the floor and try to pet them as much as we can. we want happy
cuddly kitties!
thanks!

Old July 30th 06, 07:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE

Think about this you are a young child that was ripped from their home
and shoved into a new situation would you not be nervous. 5 months is
fine I have seen old feral changed before just give it time love and
patience is the words to live by

For the next couple days keep the door shut let them get used to the
surroundings make sure you keep visiting them and loving them Later on
let them explore when they are calmed down a bit

Thank you for taking the little ones in make sure if you have any
question don't hesitate to ask

But please make sure vaccinations, neutering and FIV test are done

Old July 30th 06, 01:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kraut

My boyfriend and I just adopted 2 five month old kitties today. we put them
in the bathroom with litter, food, a bed and some toys. they have been hiding
under the tub all day. we reached in a pulled them out a couple of times and
they stayed ont he couch with us for about 5 minutes. I started reading about
feral cats- the vet found them with abandoned but I don't know how young they
were. I'm worried that 5 months is too old and they won't be happy and
socialized well. did I make a mistake. should we have gotten younger kittens.

is it ok to let them roam around while we're home and then shut thier door
when we're out or should we just keep thier door shut all the time and go in
and lie on the floor and try to pet them as much as we can. we want happy
cuddly kitties!
thanks!

NO YOU DID NOT MAKE A MISTAKE.

Just give them time and do not rush them !!!! As the other poster
said just let them come around in their own time and they will. They
have each other to keep company and play with and eventually they will
come to see you as a friend and start coming to you.

After they learn where their food and litter box is I would just leave
the door open and let them venture out on their own into the rest of
the house. They may wait until night when all is queit and dark to
explore at first and when they see nothing will hurt them they will
get braver.

My oldest hid under the sofa for the first week I had her and only
came out at night even though she knew me from when I took her in as
pregnant and was around her at my daughters before bringing her here.
Then one night I was sleeping on sofa and awoke to find her looking in
my face.

My furbabies

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

Old July 30th 06, 02:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ann

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 06:27:05 +0000, LM007 wrote:

My boyfriend and I just adopted 2 five month old kitties today. we put
them in the bathroom with litter, food, a bed and some toys. they have
been hiding under the tub all day. we reached in a pulled them out a
couple of times and they stayed ont he couch with us for about 5
minutes. I started reading about feral cats- the vet found them with
abandoned but I don't know how young they were. I'm worried that 5
months is too old and they won't be happy and socialized well. did I
make a mistake. should we have gotten younger kittens.

If they really were feral kittens - who had never had positive human
contact - there is no way you would have pulled them out from under the
tub with significant damage.

As others have responded ... give them time. Since they do have each
other, they may take a little longer to warm up to you than a single cat
would. But, imo, that's way outweighed by the fact that they will provide
companionship for each other when you're away/busy.

Old July 30th 06, 05:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ann

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 08:59:05 -0400, Ann wrote:
Oops ... that should be withOUT significant damage.
On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 06:27:05 +0000, LM007 wrote:

My boyfriend and I just adopted 2 five month old kitties today. we put
them in the bathroom with litter, food, a bed and some toys. they have
been hiding under the tub all day. we reached in a pulled them out a
couple of times and they stayed ont he couch with us for about 5
minutes. I started reading about feral cats- the vet found them with
abandoned but I don't know how young they were. I'm worried that 5
months is too old and they won't be happy and socialized well. did I
make a mistake. should we have gotten younger kittens.

If they really were feral kittens - who had never had positive human
contact - there is no way you would have pulled them out from under the
tub with [without] significant damage.

Old July 31st 06, 09:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
catface

They'll be fine. Right now they have each other so are clinging
together for comfort. At least they're not hostile to you. One of my
adopted kittens (I rescued him off a tree he was stuck in) was so wild
that he hid under the bed for a week and hissed at me if I got close.
Couldn't pick him up without protecting my hands. But he grew to trust
me and became a lovely pet. Not the very cuddly sort, but independent,
affectionate and very intelligent.

Old August 1st 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Michelle

Even kittens that have been pampered their whole lives can be shy when
first coming to a new home. When I got my kitty from the breeder at
4-1/2 months he hid in his litter box for 2 days before coming out. The
breeder let us know about this too, she said her kitties usually took a
week before becoming total lovebugs (mine jumped in my lap at day four,
ahead of schedule.)

I guess I am just repeating what everyone else has already said about
just having patience ^_^

Ann wrote:
[...]

Thanks everyone, and a tribute to Rocky (Actually a repost of Rocky's looong Story from last month) Steve Touchstone Cat anecdotes 15 October 29th 04 12:49 PM
My cat scared me Mary Cat anecdotes 42 October 2nd 04 02:09 PM
Cat got scared and keeps attacking wife and other cat L.S. Cat health & behaviour 128 February 7th 04 08:15 PM
My Cats scared to go outside because of Psycho cat Curiosity Cat health & behaviour 16 January 8th 04 03:50 AM
I scared her silly Cheryl Cat health & behaviour 14 October 18th 03 07:55 PM