How to slow down my cat's eating?

Old August 19th 05, 08:23 AM
Newbie

Default How to slow down my cat's eating?

My cat eats too fast. No, She is not starving, she just eats everything
fast. :-) I am told this could be behind some of the vomiting.

Any experience with trying to slow down a cat's eating?
Old August 19th 05, 11:47 AM
Phil P.

"Newbie" wrote in message
My cat eats too fast. No, She is not starving, she just eats everything
fast. :-) I am told this could be behind some of the vomiting.

Any experience with trying to slow down a cat's eating?

Try putting small amounts of food in different locations so she has to walk
a little between mouthfuls. Small Chinese or Japanese sauce dishes work
great.

You could also try dividing the portion into smaller amounts and placing
them around a large dinner plate, this way she'll have to pause between
mouthfuls.

Phil

Old August 19th 05, 02:20 PM
Karen

Wet or dry? You can a) feed smaller amounts more frequently or b) put
obstacles like large stones in the plate and make her eat around them, as it
slows her down.

Old August 19th 05, 05:57 PM
Mathew Kagis

My vet suggested ( if you're feeding dry kibble) spreading the food
out on a cookie dish, not as easy to gobble.

Good Luck
Mathew, Chablis & Muscat

Old August 19th 05, 06:29 PM
Newbie

Karen wrote:

: Wet or dry?

Wet.
Old August 19th 05, 07:17 PM
Karen

Then I think I would try smaller amounts at a time.

"Newbie" wrote in message
Karen wrote:

: Wet or dry?

Wet.

Old August 20th 05, 07:23 PM
Jim Vecchiola

One of my cats had the same problem with dry food - she would gobble it
down then would often upchuck. My vet suggested putting a small rock
(say about 1" in diameter in the middle of the food bowl - cat has to
eat around it, slows her down - no more problems!

KR2T

Old August 21st 05, 06:35 AM
Knack

Great idea. I'll bet a 1 1/2" dia golf ball would work well too, and it
could be cleaned in the dishwasher.