Bubba vs The Furminator - Round 1

Old May 9th 08, 09:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

Default Bubba vs The Furminator - Round 1

In article ,
CatNipped wrote:
"Claude V. Lucas" wrote in message
.. .
CatNipped wrote:
"Wendy" wrote in message
news:_OGdnUxZFecrYbzVnZ2dnUVZ_qCunZ2d@comca st.com...

CatNipped wrote:
"Claude V. Lucas" wrote in message
ic.net...
http://members.cox.net/claudevl/Bubba-Furminator.jpg

Yeah I hear you as far as the stubble.

With Bubba, though, the first couple of times got mostly
undercoat. He pretty much looks the same even though his
coat doesn't seem quite as smooth to the touch. I'm hoping that
the smoothness will return in a bit. The only real alternative
here in the desert is the dreaded Lion Cut. He gets really
miserable in the late summer. My AC can barely keep the house
in the 90s when it is 115-120 outside... He finds the spot
where the AC blows and lays on his back there with his legs
in the air for most of the day. Maine Coons just aren't
desert kitties although the couple of bobcats I've seen
seem to have as much fur. They'll have to find someone
besides me to help them with it. :^)

Sammy would have that problem here in Houston too, but DH keeps our
AC
on
deep freeze so she's usually in a sunny spot trying to warm up! ;
Even
so, I've considered using it on just Sammy still cause, as you've
demonstrated, Maine Coons seem to have enough hair for 4 or 5
normal
cats. It gets especially bad in the spring and fall when she's
shedding -
that's when the mats start showing up.

Hugs,

CatNipped

A friend of mine inadvertently shaved a patch of fur off her cat
with
the
furminator.

I prefer this:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2755173

I got one of these a couple of years ago for my cat Tigger. She had
arthritis and wasn't able to groom herself any more and was building
up
an
accumulation of under-fur. I was able to comb out a lot of it with
the
rake.

We recently used it while getting mats out of a long-haired cat we
rescued. He had been outside for years so you can imagine what his
fur
looked like. We did have to cut some of the mats out and have the
vet
shave the tummy but the rest we got out with the rake and the kitty
didn't
seem to mind. He lay across my lap for a good 2 hours while we
worked
on
him. I guess he was just glad to get the mats out. Some of them were
so
tight they were pulling the hair out by the roots when he moved.

I've never seen these at PetsMart - it looks like it would work well
on
Maine Coon with their thick undercoating (combs, slickers or brushes
with
teeth close together tend to snag and hurt). I'll have to ask about
it
next
time I'm there, thanks!

Hugs,

CatNipped

FWIW, after a few days the texture of Bubba's coat has more or
less returned to normal other than being way less thick.

I can see how it would be possible to overdo the Furminator.

LOL! Yeah Maine Coon's hair grows back so fast you can almost watch it
move! ; Seriously, I could brush Sammy every single day and get a wad
of
hair out as big as my head!

I'm going to try the regular comb again in a day or two and see what
happens.

His coat is still noticeably thinner than pre-Furminator but the
stubble effect went away after a couple of days...

I wish I had seen the PetSmart comb first, though. It's way cheaper.

Tell me about it - we spent $40 on the Furminator!

$20 on the 'bay, shipped, but still...

I'll use it again in a few weeks when all the hair's back. :^)

You have a Maine Coon - the hair will be back tomorrow!! ;

It already is...

and it's 96 degrees out already.

Poor Bubba.

New Camera - New Bubba Pix Claude V. Lucas Cat health & behaviour 7 March 20th 08 01:49 PM
Furminator is great! ensoul Cat health & behaviour 1 March 4th 08 09:38 PM
The Furminator? Sherry Cat anecdotes 13 April 18th 07 11:30 AM
Furminator Karen Cat anecdotes 7 August 16th 06 07:25 PM