Feline leukemia test negative, Stomatitis

Old May 10th 08, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
destiny04

Default Feline leukemia test negative, Stomatitis

I have a female cat that was having mouth problems. She could not yawn,cry
or eat without screaming out in pain. I took her to a vet and they said she
had leukemia even though her test was negative. They said it had caused
stomatitis in her gums and that the only thing left to do was to give her
cortisone shots and antibiotics every 4-6 weeks. She had a shot and
antibiotics and was fine for 6 weeks. I then took her to another vet. He told
me the same thing and that we would keep her alive for no more than a year
with cortisone shots. He gave her a shot and put her on antibiotics again. 4
weeks later we were back at the vet. Another shot and antibiotics. He said to
have all of her teeth pulled and maybe that would help. 2 weeks later she was
in pain again and I was having to make soup with her canned food. I took her
to another vet and they cleaned her teeth. She had gingivitis really bad.
That was 1 month ago. We have not been back to a vet since. She has no pain
and has actually fattened up because she is now able to eat hard food. She
eats like a little pig. I urge anyone with the same problem to get a dental
cleaning done and see if that works. Too many cortisone shots will kill a cat
in no time.

Old May 12th 08, 07:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"destiny04" u43520@uwe wrote in message news:83f63f3c8c6ea@uwe...
I have a female cat that was having mouth problems. She could not

yawn,cry
or eat without screaming out in pain. I took her to a vet and they said

she
had leukemia even though her test was negative.

If you're referring to Feline Leukemia Virus, how did the vets determine
your cat has FeLV if the tests were negative?? Which tests were run?

They said it had caused
stomatitis in her gums

Unlikely if FeLV tests were negative. Many cats with stomatitis are "plaque
intolerant"- they develop a hypersensitivity reaction to the antigens
associated with the bacteria in plaque.

Where are your vets from?