Horrible Tasteless TV Show

Old January 25th 05, 05:32 AM
Mary

"jmcquown" wrote

They always make the sister look ridiculous, and ridicule her for not

having
or keeping a boyfriend or for not being married, not having kids, etc. As

middle aged single woman, I don't really understand how belittling a

person
is funny.

The times I have seen the show I think *they* are the ones that look
ridiculous--although, the sister really does act like a twit. A man is the
be-all and end-all, for one thing.

BTW, the man who plays the husband is a Brit who pulls off
sounding like an American very well... first time I saw him on an

interview
I just about fell over upon hearing his "real" voice.

He's a good actor, as is the little redhead and the
"egghead" son. To me the show is kind of "married-with-children"
for a younger generation.

Old January 25th 05, 02:15 PM
Helen Miles

"CatNipped" wrote in message

I think this is horrible, not only does it make it OK to make fun of a
person grieving for a cat, but it gives the impression that cats are not
important and the death of a beloved cat should be the source of humor, not
grief.////

At the other end of a spectrum, this reminds of a show, "Queer Eye for
the Straight Guy" (USA version). For those of you who don't know what it
is, it's basically a show where 5 gay guys make-over a straight guy for
some important event. This includes the appartment. On one show, the guy
being made over had 4 or 5 cats. They were making over the appartment
and wanted to address the issue of the cats clawing the furniture.
Instead of recommending declawing, the designer, Thom, did a piece to
camera about how declawing your pet cat was REALLY cruel, and came up
with about 4 different alternatives to stop you cat clawing your
furniture. This included the options "Soft Paws" and "Sticky Paws". I
was so impressed that a main line show would take the trouble to
actually take the opportunity to educate pet owners.

On that basis alone, the show has my vote.

Helen M

Old January 25th 05, 03:08 PM
Victor Martinez

CatNipped wrote:
OK, there's a "feedback" button on the bottom of that page and I just
submitted a complaint. The episode was called "Still Looking for Love".

Thanks for pointing that out, I've written them a note complaining about
their lack of compassion.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 25th 05, 03:44 PM
CatNipped

"Mary" wrote in message
. com...

[...]

Oh, see, I didn't get that. This is the first time I caught the show, sort
of in the background just because nobody had bothered to turn off the TV
after the news. I must say though, "Married With Children" made *sure* you
knew this was an over-the-top, ridiculous farce - obviously nothing at all
like real life - right from the opening credits. "Still Standing" is normal
enough looking that you think this is a family show about a "real" family.
The creators, producers, and writers are *way* off base here. I find
nothing at all funny about the "values", or lack thereof, that they're
portraying.

What bothers me is that shows like this sort of wriggle their way into our
society's subconscious to make us become inured to this type of behavior.
This is being done to not just our children - I believe parents should be
the guardians of a child's TV choices and the ones who teach their children
values rather than relying on TV to do that (even though we know that far
too many parents don't) - but to adults who become "used to" and even start
emulating this sort of insensitivity and bigoted behavior.

Ah well, just a prime example of why I don't watch but a couple of hours of
TV a week!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old January 25th 05, 03:59 PM
jmcquown

Helen Miles wrote:
"CatNipped" wrote in message

[...]

I don't have cable television so I'm not sure how I've managed to catch a
few episodes of that show, but I love it! And they give the guy getting the
"makeover" (so to speak) some really great stuff! I saw one episode where
they took the guy to a butcher shop and bought an obscene amount of lamb
chops (he was going to have a cook out for about 20 people) and THEN gave
him a fantastic grill, a great big outdoor table with all the plates and
glassware. He managed it all with finesse which I think surprised even him

Jill (I must be hungry)

Old January 25th 05, 04:37 PM
CatNipped

"Helen Miles" wrote in message
news:3b8b2cead98e0e4effb2f7c378ef5f73.76411@mygate .mailgate.org...
"CatNipped" wrote in message

[...]

I love that show. But even more I like "Trading Spaces" and "While You Were
Out" (and others of the vein) that show "real" people who happen to be gay
or lesbian. These show us that these are *PEOPLE* - just like us - as kind
or as mean, as caring or as insensitive, as noble or as fallible, as normal
or as quirky as we are.

It always surprises me what people can believe about people they don't know
or understand - even supposedly intelligent people. The following is a
direct quote from a *Mensa* newsgroup that I subscribe to:

"For example, every time the homosexual lobby scores a victory, I'll see
press releases from advocates for pedophilia, zoophilia and necrophilia.
Their turn will come, most assuredly. Also, you can see homosexuals across
the country poking fun at marriage at the same time, which makes me wonder
why they want to be married in the first place."

Yeah right, equate what two consenting adults do in loving each other to
forcing yourself on children, animals, or the dead! Real bright!! And take
what a few people may have said and generalize that to include millions of
other people. Very smart!!! See, sometimes being able to score well on a
test has *nothing* to do with how intelligent you are!!!

Sigh, the more I learn about *some* people, the more I appreciate cats!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Helen M

Old January 25th 05, 04:54 PM
Kreisleriana

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 20:51:30 -0600, "jmcquown"
yodeled:

CatNipped wrote:
"Mary" wrote in message
. com...

"CatNipped" wrote in message
OK, what's new right?

"Still Standing" showed an episode about the wife's sister's cat
dying.

The cat was dressed in a mouse suit for Halloween, saw itself in the
mirror and killed itself leaping at the mirror trying to eat the big
mouse. Think a cat might really do that?

There are an infinite
number of other ways for the writers to have made the sister look
ridiculous

(snippage)
They always make the sister look ridiculous, and ridicule her for not having
or keeping a boyfriend or for not being married, not having kids, etc. As a
middle aged single woman, I don't really understand how belittling a person
is funny. BTW, the man who plays the husband is a Brit who pulls off
sounding like an American very well... first time I saw him on an interview
I just about fell over upon hearing his "real" voice.

Jill

He was in "The Full Monty."

Theresa
Old January 25th 05, 04:57 PM
OU812?

CatNipped wrote:

OK, what's new right?

"Still Standing" showed an episode about the wife's sister's cat dying.
None of the characters showed even a modicum of sympathy, but made fun of
the woman for grieving and made fun of the cat. I've never seen a show
about a dog dying that was made fun of, but cats seem to be a different
story.

I think this is horrible, not only does it make it OK to make fun of a
person grieving for a cat, but it gives the impression that cats are not
important and the death of a beloved cat should be the source of humor, not
grief.

Not that I ever watch this show (it was on in the background since everyone
was too busy to turn off the TV), but from now on I'll make a point of not
watching even a second of this travesty.

Here's the show's web site - I'm trying to find somewhere to write to
complain.

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/still_standing/

Hugs,

CatNipped

try the feedback link at the bottom of the page. It will give you a
window in which to select what show you're giving feedback on.

Kristy
Old January 25th 05, 05:06 PM
OU812?

Helen Miles wrote:

"CatNipped" wrote in message

[...]

Yay for the queer guys!!!

I don't watch the show, though i'd like to it seems like its always on
when something my hubby wants to watch.

Kristy
Old January 25th 05, 05:20 PM
OU812?

Kreisleriana wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 20:51:30 -0600, "jmcquown"
yodeled:

CatNipped wrote:

"Mary" wrote in message
. rr.com...

"CatNipped" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Ok, what i'm finding weird, is that the biopics of the oldest two
children look like they're about 12 and 13 yrs old, but when I go to
IMDB and look the two people up, they're 15 and 17. How on earth do
they pull it off?

Kristy
wishing she looked a few yrs younger (a few pounds lighter wouldn't hurt
either)