New Cat likes blistex lip balm and when does a male cats testicles "drop"?

Old March 2nd 05, 07:10 AM
Corey Maddox via CatKB.com

Default New Cat likes blistex lip balm and when does a male cats testicles "drop"?

First off, I would like to say that I am new here, and after spending hours
and hours on the net, I have not found an answer to either of my questions.
First question is: At what age do a male cats' testicles "drop"? Long
story, but basically I am new to cats, and would like to know his
approximate age. Second question: Wondering why our cat likes the taste
or smell of my Blistex lip balm so much. It makes him crazy. Though I do
not let him eat it, he has tried many times to lick i toff of my lips. He
does not do this with any other lip balme that we have had in the house.
Is it one specific ingredient? If so, what is it, and is it safe for him?
Thank you. Please reply, if you would, to beefcakesgirl[AT]yahoo.com, as I
really do not know how to get around in this forum.

Old March 2nd 05, 08:12 AM
Mary

"Corey Maddox via CatKB.com" wrote i:

Wondering why our cat likes the taste
or smell of my Blistex lip balm so much. It makes him crazy. Though I do
not let him eat it, he has tried many times to lick i toff of my lips. He
does not do this with any other lip balme that we have had in the house.
Is it one specific ingredient?

Yes. It is mint. You use the mint-flavored one, not the berry
flavored, right?

Old March 2nd 05, 09:21 AM
Phil P.

"Corey Maddox via CatKB.com" wrote in message
First off, I would like to say that I am new here, and after spending

hours
and hours on the net, I have not found an answer to either of my

questions.
First question is: At what age do a male cats' testicles "drop"? Long
story, but basically I am new to cats, and would like to know his
approximate age.

The testicles should be in scotum at birth. In some cats, the testicles
fall into place by 4 weeks - but they may not remain in the scrotum
permanently until 4-6 months. If both testicles haven't decended by 4-6
months, they most likely never will. Undecended testicles is called
cryptorchidism in case you want to Google the condition.

Second question: Wondering why our cat likes the taste
or smell of my Blistex lip balm so much. It makes him crazy. Though I do
not let him eat it, he has tried many times to lick i toff of my lips. He
does not do this with any other lip balme that we have had in the house.
Is it one specific ingredient? If so, what is it, and is it safe for him?

I don't which ingredients are used in the balm. If you're not sure whether
a product is safe for cats, a good rule of thumb is: "when in doubt, leave
it out".

Thank you. Please reply, if you would, to beefcakesgirl[AT]yahoo.com, as

really do not know how to get around in this forum.

Subscribe to re.pets.cats.health+behav through your ISPs newsserver.

Phil

Old March 2nd 05, 09:21 AM
-L.

Corey Maddox via CatKB.com wrote:
First off, I would like to say that I am new here, and after spending

hours
and hours on the net, I have not found an answer to either of my

questions.
First question is: At what age do a male cats' testicles "drop"?

Long
story, but basically I am new to cats, and would like to know his
approximate age.

They should be completely dropped by 10 months, if not sooer. You may
want to have him examined by a vet.

Second question: Wondering why our cat likes the taste
or smell of my Blistex lip balm so much. It makes him crazy. Though

I do
not let him eat it, he has tried many times to lick i toff of my

lips. He
does not do this with any other lip balme that we have had in the

house.
Is it one specific ingredient? If so, what is it, and is it safe for

him?

Menthol. I wouldn't let him lick it - it can cause GI distress.

-L.

Old March 2nd 05, 10:35 AM
-L.

Phil P. wrote:
[...]

When I worked for the feline speciliast he never recommended surgery
until 10 months, FWIW. He had seen some cases where the owners delayed
surgery and the testes eventually dropped on their own. I don't know
why the magic number was 10 months, but I assume it has something to do
with sexual maturity...(?)

-L.

Old March 3rd 05, 01:30 AM
Mary

"Phil P." wrote in message

Second question: Wondering why our cat likes the taste
or smell of my Blistex lip balm so much. It makes him crazy. Though I

do
not let him eat it, he has tried many times to lick i toff of my lips.

He
does not do this with any other lip balme that we have had in the house.
Is it one specific ingredient? If so, what is it, and is it safe for

him?

I don't which ingredients are used in the balm. If you're not sure

whether
a product is safe for cats, a good rule of thumb is: "when in doubt, leave
it out".

Phil, haven't you known cats that love the scent of mint? I think
we talked about that here before. I use blistex and both of my cats
get in my face after I have put it on--and after I have brushed my
teeth, too. They put their little noses up in the air like "ahhhhh!
what smells gooooooood?"

Old March 3rd 05, 03:13 AM
Phil P.

"Mary" wrote in message
news:1109809830.f1b6187be1ff6e18698fa57900502a6b@t eranews...

"Phil P." wrote in message

Second question: Wondering why our cat likes the taste
or smell of my Blistex lip balm so much. It makes him crazy. Though

do
not let him eat it, he has tried many times to lick i toff of my lips.

He
does not do this with any other lip balme that we have had in the

house.
Is it one specific ingredient? If so, what is it, and is it safe for

him?

I don't which ingredients are used in the balm. If you're not sure

whether
a product is safe for cats, a good rule of thumb is: "when in doubt,

leave
it out".

Phil, haven't you known cats that love the scent of mint?

Sure. Catnip is in the mint family. The OP didn't mention which type or
flavor of lip balm she uses. Since I don't know what ingredients are in the
balm, I can't and won't say its safe for cats.

I think
we talked about that here before. I use blistex and both of my cats
get in my face after I have put it on--and after I have brushed my
teeth, too. They put their little noses up in the air like "ahhhhh!
what smells gooooooood?"

A cat's breath is no bouquet of roses! LOL!

Phil

Old March 3rd 05, 04:14 AM
Mary

"Phil P." wrote in message

[...]

Hell, I wouldn't let them eat it!

I think
we talked about that here before. I use blistex and both of my cats
get in my face after I have put it on--and after I have brushed my
teeth, too. They put their little noses up in the air like "ahhhhh!
what smells gooooooood?"

A cat's breath is no bouquet of roses! LOL!

Heh. Neither is mine in the morning, but I wake up with Cheeks
sniffing it a couple of times a week. Strange little kitty person, she is.

Old March 3rd 05, 05:48 AM
Phil P.

"-L." wrote in message
ups.com...

Phil P. wrote:
[...]

Surgery is another matter. If its inguinal cryptorchidism, I wouldn't be in
too much of a rush either.

He had seen some cases where the owners delayed
surgery and the testes eventually dropped on their own. I don't know
why the magic number was 10 months, but I assume it has something to do
with sexual maturity...(?)

I think it would depend on the type of cryptorchidism; inguinal or
abdominal - bilateral or unilateral. If the testicle(s) are stuck in the
groin area (inguinal) there's still a chance of them dropping by 4-6
months - and if not, surgery isn't as traumatic as it would be for abdominal
cryptorchidism. If they're stuck in the abdomen - there's little chance of
them dropping after 4 months.

If the cat had abdominal cryptorchidism, I wouldn't wait that long because
the more muscle and fat that the cat develops, the more traumatic and
riskier the surgery (longer anesthetic and surgical times) and the longer
the healing time.

If they don't drop - they *must* come out - retained testicles are more
likely to become cancerous later in life.

Phil

Old March 3rd 05, 02:19 PM
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Mary exclaimed (3/3/2005 3:14 AM):
"Phil P." wrote in message

A cat's breath is no bouquet of roses! LOL!

Heh. Neither is mine in the morning, but I wake up with Cheeks
sniffing it a couple of times a week. Strange little kitty person, she is.

Meep's breath smells fine - or rather, doesn't. But she does insist on
smelling my breath when I come home, perhaps it tells her something
about my day

jmc