Concerned about New Cat

Old March 9th 05, 09:27 AM
James Heaven via CatKB.com

Default Concerned about New Cat

Greetings,

I adopted a Cat from a shelter last week, and am absolutely in love with
him. He was immediately neutered, and when feeling better (2 days later), I
took him to the vet for a check up, and a FIV/Feline Leukemia test.
Everything checked out great.

The shelter says he is 1, the vet says 2. I have no idea what his died was
before I got him, but his coat is pretty rough. Not too shiny. He is also
very lethargic. He sleeps a lot. At first I think it was because of his
surgery, but now it's been a week. He acts like a senior cat. Always using
my lap to jump down off the desk. Can only play with a feather toy for a
second, before plopping back down on the ground. Only gets up to move to
another place to sleep etc.

He has a very healthy appetite, and is always eating. I am feeding him
Wellness wet and dry food. His stools have always been runny. Sometimes
part solid, then half runny. I figured this was because of a change in
diet, but a week later - i still haven't seen a solid stool.

And just tonight, I popped the top off the litter box, where he had just
gone, and there were a few drops of blood on the runny, light coloured
stool. This freaked me out.

So I looked it up, and it sounds like he has the symptoms of Giardia.
Lethargy, runny stools, drops of blood in stool, bad coat.

Am I being a cat hypochondriac? The vet checked him out okay. Do they
usually check for this stuff?

He seems happy, always rubbing against my legs, purring, smiling following
me around, talking. sleeping all day and night...

Am I too concerned, and I should just let him adjust and get used to his
diet, or should I bring him straight back to the vet? (I hate to do this
with all that he's been through lately).

Thanks!

Old March 9th 05, 09:45 AM
James Heaven via CatKB.com

I forgot to mention that he seems to be having gas from time to time, and
really stinky poops (even though I have an enclosed boodah cat box I can
smell it across the house). although, I have no idea what normal cats poop
smells like...

Am I obsessing?

Old March 9th 05, 10:21 AM
MaryL

"James Heaven via CatKB.com" wrote in message
[...]

He needs to be seen by a vet. I know you hate to put him through that
again, but you would hate it even more if your cat had something that could
be treated if caught early but was permitted to progress too far. Blood in
the stool is always cause for concern -- but there are also some relatively
minor problems that can cause it. Be sure to take a stool sample with you
(as fresh as possible -- unpleasant, but that's what your vet will need for
testing purposes).

MaryL

Old March 9th 05, 11:35 AM
James Heaven via CatKB.com

Thank so much for your quick response. Just a quick update:

I followed him into the litterbox, and immediately pulled him out (not
before he stepped in the loose stool, and got it all over himself - which
resulted in a quick bath in the sink which he is still mad at me for). The
stool was definately loose. Basically a puddle of poo. But absolutely no
blood anywhere...

I just can't help but think that this could all be from new food, and
stress of a new home(after 2 weeks at the shelter and who knows how long on
the streets).

I would love to save him from having to go back to dealing with a vet. But
diarrhea for a week is bad.

On a side note, I keep catching him drinking out of the toilet (he is
scared of his water dish), so i don't think he is dehydrated from all the
loosness.

Old March 9th 05, 12:51 PM
Brad

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 11:35:56 GMT, "James Heaven via CatKB.com"
wrote:

Thank so much for your quick response. Just a quick update:

I followed him into the litterbox, and immediately pulled him out (not
before he stepped in the loose stool, and got it all over himself - which
resulted in a quick bath in the sink which he is still mad at me for). The
stool was definately loose. Basically a puddle of poo. But absolutely no
blood anywhere...

I just can't help but think that this could all be from new food, and
stress of a new home(after 2 weeks at the shelter and who knows how long on
the streets).

I would love to save him from having to go back to dealing with a vet. But
diarrhea for a week is bad.

On a side note, I keep catching him drinking out of the toilet (he is
scared of his water dish), so i don't think he is dehydrated from all the
loosness.

Has you cat been anywhere where he could have caught Giardia like
drinking from a lake or stream anywhere? Dont be afraid to mention
this to the vet they have thousands of things on their minds and could
overlook something like that.

Brad

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A
WELL-PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
SHOUTING... " HOLY @#$%... WHAT A RIDE!"

Old March 9th 05, 07:33 PM
James Heaven via CatKB.com

Thanks Brad,

I'm not sure, he was feral before I got him last week...

I'm not sure I particularly like my vet - I just found her in the phone
book, and she didn't seem to pay much attention to what was going on...
Just pretty breezy and flippant, and runs out the door with her chart to
see another patient..

when I call, they don't ask any questions of course, they just say "You
have to come in, would you like to make an appointment?" Really quickly
with the phone ringing in the background. Of course an appointment is 50
dollars minimum just to see him.

I live in Santa Monica, and I think think they are all pretty much like
that.

Old March 9th 05, 07:51 PM
Brad

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 19:33:45 GMT, "James Heaven via CatKB.com"
wrote:

Thanks Brad,

I'm not sure, he was feral before I got him last week...

I'm not sure I particularly like my vet - I just found her in the phone
book, and she didn't seem to pay much attention to what was going on...
Just pretty breezy and flippant, and runs out the door with her chart to
see another patient..

when I call, they don't ask any questions of course, they just say "You
have to come in, would you like to make an appointment?" Really quickly
with the phone ringing in the background. Of course an appointment is 50
dollars minimum just to see him.

I live in Santa Monica, and I think think they are all pretty much like
that.

I don't know James but I would keep trying, there are some out there
who do care perhaps someone just starting out and still have the right
reasons for being there, I know its a bit time consuming but for my
dogs I used to own I would interview vets until I found one that I
liked, the ones who wouldn't give me a free interview were taken off
the list right away. Many times as you eluded to the people who answer
the phone are a direct representation of what the vet is going to be
like. My son has taken out insurance on his German Shepard which
didn't sound all to bad didn't cover the first two rounds of
vaccinations but all vaccinations thereafter I don't remember the fee
but it sounded reasonable especially since it covered prescriptions
100%

Old March 9th 05, 10:24 PM
James Heaven via CatKB.com

Thanks,

Just took a stool sample in... we'll see what they say.

Old March 10th 05, 09:54 AM
James Heaven via CatKB.com

Well, no parasites - all clear. Thanks god. But I am so sick of this house
stinking loose stool!! I hope he chills soon.

Old March 10th 05, 07:47 PM
James Heaven via CatKB.com

I can actually hear his stomach growling.