3 cats & a new parrot...

Old July 15th 05, 09:35 AM
Jim

Default 3 cats & a new parrot...

Hello,

I have three cats, two of them 3 yrs old, and the other just under 1 yr.
The cats are 90% house cats, they have access to the back garden supervised
a few times per day. Now...I really want to buy an African Grey Parrot, a
young one too - maybe a bird aged 2 - 4 months.

Can anyone give me success stories and / or horror stories with regards to
the risk to the bird? I am well aware that cats are predators, but I am
wondering if by having the bird in the house, will they treat it with more
respect over time? The last thing I want is for the cat to take a swipe at
the poor thing and kill it, or for the three of them to sit and taunt it all
day causing the bird to stress out - parrots can go crazy with stress I
heard.

What I might do, is buy a budgie or cockatiel which cost next to nothing,
and see how they react. If they welcome the wee thing with open arms, I
will buy it a much more expensive friend to sit and talk with

Any tips?

PS - Its Tigger, Tootsie and Tango - www.cutecats.co.uk - they look harmless
.

Old July 15th 05, 11:56 AM
John Doe

Old July 15th 05, 12:03 PM
Peter Hucker

Er what?

From: "Jim" jimjam2020online gmail.com
Newsgroups: alt.cats,alt.pets.parrots.african-grey,alt.pets.parrots.misc,rec.pets.cats.health+be hav
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 09:35:31 +0100

--
http://www.petersparrots.com
http://www.insanevideoclips.com

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old July 15th 05, 12:43 PM
Alison

"Jim" wrote in message
What I might do, is buy a budgie or cockatiel which cost next to

nothing,
and see how they react. If they welcome the wee thing with open

arms, I
will buy it a much more expensive friend to sit and talk with

Don't you think that's a bit callous? It seems you're saying it
doesn't matter that the budgie is terrified of you cats or gets hurt
because he cost you peanuts. You'll still have to buy a cage for it
anyway and they're expensive. What will you do with the budgie or
cockatiel when you buy your parrot?
Alison

Old July 15th 05, 05:25 PM
KellyH

"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

Can you talk to someone at a bird rescue? I'm sure they know a lot more
about how birds, esp different species, act around cats. Personally, I
wouldn't risk it with my cats. If I had a bird, I would want to let it out
of it's cage and I know my cats would chase it. In the case of a big bird
like an African Grey, I would be afraid of the bird hurting the cats.

-Kelly

Old July 15th 05, 06:22 PM
rpl

Jim wrote:
[...]

can't speak from experience; doubt they'd ever be friendly, but isn't
one of those a *big* bird ? big enough to intimidate the cats I imagine.

pat
Old July 15th 05, 06:28 PM
Phil Jarvis

Under no circumstances should you acquire birds if you have ANY cats,
much less three of them. Even the saliva of cats can be deadly to birds.

Jim wrote:
[...]

----------

Email from unknown persons will be blocked by spam filters.
Please post replies to the news conference. Thank you.
Old July 15th 05, 07:54 PM
Mary

"rpl" wrote in message
Jim wrote:
[...]

None of them is very large--the African Gray might be the largest, but
they are close enough in size to cockatiels for it to be a toss up. None
is large like the big colorful parrots with the wicked beaks are large.

Old July 15th 05, 08:00 PM
Mary

"KellyH" kelly at farringtons dot net wrote in message

"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

They are not that big!

Old July 15th 05, 08:08 PM
KellyH

"Mary" wrote

They are not that big!

I must be thinking of another kind of parrot. I admit, I don't really know
my birds!

-Kelly