Gnats?

Old August 23rd 05, 12:52 AM
oscargrouch

Default Gnats?

some kind of tiny fly-looking things won't leave the wet food alone...all
other food and stuff they'd be interested in is put away, but you obviously
can't put the cat food away or spray it with bug spray...how to get rid of
them?

Old August 23rd 05, 01:19 AM
(WebElder)

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 23:52:34 GMT, "oscargrouch" wrote:

some kind of tiny fly-looking things won't leave the wet food alone...all
other food and stuff they'd be interested in is put away, but you obviously
can't put the cat food away or spray it with bug spray...how to get rid of
them?

Why can't you put the Cat food away? I feed my Cats twice a day and
when they are finished,it gets picked up and saved for later. Water is
the only thing I leave out and exposed.

Or do you mean they will not leave the food alone while the Cat is
trying to eat?

Ray
WebElder
I don't "Suffer" from Insanity..I rather enjoy it!

CATTS
http://members.tripod.com/~thewebster/catts.html

Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Laby...6/meshead.html
Old August 23rd 05, 01:20 AM
mlbriggs

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 23:52:34 +0000, oscargrouch wrote:

some kind of tiny fly-looking things won't leave the wet food alone...all
other food and stuff they'd be interested in is put away, but you
obviously can't put the cat food away or spray it with bug spray...how to
get rid of them?

We call them garbage flies Don't leave wet food out. MLB

Old August 23rd 05, 02:47 AM
Judy

"mlbriggs" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 23:52:34 +0000, oscargrouch wrote:

some kind of tiny fly-looking things won't leave the wet food alone...all
other food and stuff they'd be interested in is put away, but you
obviously can't put the cat food away or spray it with bug spray...how to
get rid of them?

We call them garbage flies Don't leave wet food out. MLB

Seeing as that "garbage flies" are similar to house flies, perhaps these
tiny flies the OP describes are actually fruit flies? I doubt that they are
gnats as these guys go for plants.

Old August 23rd 05, 02:47 AM
oscargrouch

both...they've basically always had their food out all the time for
years...wouldn't they freak if i changed that?

Old August 23rd 05, 02:51 AM
oscargrouch

same question...they're used to getting a can and having it out there for as
long as they want and they do eat it little by little over the course of the
day and night...one of them for almost 15 years...wouldn't that confuse
them? (there's no food out right now, though, since i finally got
frustrated and, since i couldn't find them anywhere else, figured maybe
dousing the food dishes with bug spray would finish the little ****ers off)

news

Old August 23rd 05, 02:52 AM
oscargrouch

a couple people have asked me if they're fruit flies...so i put out a bowl
of honey all day yesterday and they didn't go anywhere near it...they much
prefer cat food

"Judy" wrote in message

news

Old August 23rd 05, 05:22 PM
-L.

oscargrouch wrote:
same question...they're used to getting a can and having it out there for as
long as they want and they do eat it little by little over the course of the
day and night...one of them for almost 15 years...wouldn't that confuse
them? (there's no food out right now, though, since i finally got
frustrated and, since i couldn't find them anywhere else, figured maybe
dousing the food dishes with bug spray would finish the little ****ers off)

Are these in your home? If so they are either coming in from some open
space or breeding within the home. You have to find out where they are
bredding and kill off the colony. Is this dry cat food that has
possibly been damp and is fermenting? If so it could be fruit flies -
tan with red eyes? They are attracted to fermenting
foods/fruit/grains/etc. - but NOT meat. Otherwise it is a carnivorous
fly and there are *tons* of species.

-L.