Health and money purrs needed

Old August 4th 07, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped

Default Health and money purrs needed

I had scheduled a visit with my doctor because the pain from when I broke my
arm has just continued to worsen over the last year. I've been to several
orthopedists and all they do is take an x-ray and shoot cortisone shots into
my funny bone tendon - yet the pain continues to worsen. I have a feeling
that when I fell, since I was airborne for a second and my right hand was
the first part of my body to hit the cement, that I did more than just
fracture and partially shatter my wrist bone. I think I injured something
in the spinal column of my neck (the pain there is really bad and when I
move my head around it sort of crunches there). Also, not only has the ring
finger of my right hand started feeling funny and numb, but the
corresponding toe on my right foot is feeling the same. Anyway, I thought
I'd see my GP and get him to recommend a neurologist. Besides, I've had
quite a number of other health issues lately.

Since it's been a while since I've seen him, he wanted to do some blood work
before I came in, so I went to have my blood drawn this morning. When I got
home Ben told me that I'd gotten a telephone message from my doctor's nurse
asking me to call her back immediately. I did and she told me that I was
*severely* iron deficient and anemic and my doctor wants me to go back to
the lab first thing Monday morning to have an iron panel and a hemoccult
done. He also wants me to start taking Niferex 3 times a day.

From the symptoms I'm having, having looked them up online (I know, bad idea
since it only scares you more), two possible causes of the severe anemia are
leukemia or colon cancer.

Now the really, really bad news. My new insurance only pays for
preventative treatment up to a $1,500 deductible per year and then after
that still only pays a portion of your cost. So I have to pay for all the
testing and all the treatment out of our non-existent savings!

Some purrs for both my health and my pocket book would be greatly
appreciated.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old August 4th 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 3, 6:34 pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
[...]

From the symptoms I'm having, having looked them up online (I know, bad idea
since it only scares you more), two possible causes of the severe anemia are
leukemia or colon cancer.

Now the really, really bad news. My new insurance only pays for
preventative treatment up to a $1,500 deductible per year and then after
that still only pays a portion of your cost. So I have to pay for all the
testing and all the treatment out of our non-existent savings!

Some purrs for both my health and my pocket book would be greatly
appreciated.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

I'm sorry you're having such trouble. It is so silly for insurance
companies to balk
at preventive care. I guess they want you to wait till you get
*really* sick, then they'll
pay for it!! I could really go off on a tangent about insurance, I am
having trouble with
them too.
Don't even read the stuff on the internet. Please. At least not until
right before your next
appt. That'll give you some questions to ask but won't give you time
to worry about it.
Purrs sent.

Sherry

Old August 4th 07, 01:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 18:34:22 -0500, CatNipped wrote:

Since you use the computer a lot, have you considered carpel tunnel
syndrome? I have it in my right arm and the symptoms sound alike.
I do not use the "puter for prolonged periods and I wear a brace on my
right wrist at night and if I don't my right hand goes "to sleep".

Purrs for your health. MLB
Old August 4th 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen AKA Kajikit

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 18:34:22 -0500, "CatNipped"
wrote:

From the symptoms I'm having, having looked them up online (I know, bad idea
since it only scares you more), two possible causes of the severe anemia are
leukemia or colon cancer.

Now the really, really bad news. My new insurance only pays for
preventative treatment up to a $1,500 deductible per year and then after
that still only pays a portion of your cost. So I have to pay for all the
testing and all the treatment out of our non-existent savings!

Some purrs for both my health and my pocket book would be greatly
appreciated.

Yes, it COULD possibly be something nasty... but you're a woman in
your reproductive years and it's very common for us to be anemic,
sometimes VERY anemeic... so don't jump to the conclusion that you've
got some dire disease sweety - it's probably just the natural
cumulative effects of being a woman and not taking in as much iron as
you're losing every month...

Purrs for all of this to not cost you very much and to have a simple
solution...

Old August 4th 07, 02:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

From the symptoms I'm having, having looked them up online (I know, bad
idea since it only scares you more), two possible causes of the severe
anemia are leukemia or colon cancer.

Now the really, really bad news. My new insurance only pays for
preventative treatment up to a $1,500 deductible per year and then after
that still only pays a portion of your cost. So I have to pay for all the
testing and all the treatment out of our non-existent savings!

Some purrs for both my health and my pocket book would be greatly
appreciated.

Try not to worry over the weekend. And quit looking it up on the internet
until the doctor talks to you.

BTW, if I'm reading this right, you ARE anemic. That is a medical condition
in and of itself and treating it isn't preventive.

Looking for the sources of pain are diagnostic, not preventive.

Preventive is when you are getting tests for something you don't have
symptoms for but want screening to be sure. Flu shots and pap smears and
mammograms are essentially preventive but I'm pretty sure they have to cover
those anyway.

A complete physical just to see if the doctor can find anything wrong with
you would be preventive.

But I've just had tons of experience and a patient and with my insurance.
Somebody here should have better information on what is and what isn't
preventive.

Jo

Old August 4th 07, 03:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped

"mlbriggs" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 18:34:22 -0500, CatNipped wrote:

Since you use the computer a lot, have you considered carpel tunnel
syndrome? I have it in my right arm and the symptoms sound alike.
I do not use the "puter for prolonged periods and I wear a brace on my
right wrist at night and if I don't my right hand goes "to sleep".

Purrs for your health. MLB

No, I don't think so. I've been using a keyboard for, um let's see, 55 -
15, 40 years and this just started hurting after I fell and broke my arm.
If nothing else I'd like them to do a neurological exam to find out why I
keep getting this weird feelings in finger and toe and why I'm suddenly
dropping almost everything I try to hold.

Thank you for the purrs, they're gratefully accepted.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old August 4th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped

"Karen AKA Kajikit" wrote in message
On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 18:34:22 -0500, "CatNipped"
wrote:

From the symptoms I'm having, having looked them up online (I know, bad
idea
[...]

LOL! Thank you, but no, it's not that. I'm 55 now and had a complete
hysterectomy when I was 41. Thank you for the purrs, they're very much
appreciated.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old August 4th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped

"Sherry" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

From the symptoms I'm having, having looked them up online (I know, bad
idea
[...]

Good advice, I'll try really hard to follow it! ; Thank you for the
purrs, Sherry, they are very much appreciated.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Sherry

Old August 4th 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped

"jofirey" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

From the symptoms I'm having, having looked them up online (I know, bad
[...]

I've heard more and more companies are getting this type of insurance. They
call it "consumer oriented, high deductible" - but it sure as heck isn't
oriented to anyone who has anything wrong with them. Even young families
(and the family deductible is $3000) who mostly go in just for vaccinations
and yearly check-ups can have a child break an arm and have to shell out
$3000 all at one time! It really, really sucks.

But, such is life and the alternative sure isn't any better! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old August 4th 07, 04:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 3, 8:22 pm, "jofirey" wrote:
"CatNipped" wrote in message

[...]

From the symptoms I'm having, having looked them up online (I know, bad
[...]

Jo- Hide quoted text -

Jo, I agree with you, but my insurance also has screwy notions of
what is preventive. I was having erratic blood
pressure readings and the cardio fitted me with this contraption that
measures BP and records it every 1/2 hour. I
took the thing back in 24 hours, and they dowload all the readings
onto a computer so he could see what was
going on during a normal day. Insurance would not pay a penny of it.
They said it was "investigative." WTF? Isn't that
what they have to do to make a diagnosis?
Insurance companies look for excuses not to pay. Can you believe I had
to mail them a copy of our marriage license to
prove I was a legal dependant?

Sherry

Sherry

Sherry