Cat pigmentation and behavior

Old May 18th 04, 10:43 AM
Jack Crane

Default Cat pigmentation and behavior

On p. 147 of _Feline Behavior: A Guide for Veterinarians_ (2nd ed., 2003)
there is a provocative, small section in the chapter on feline social
behavior.

"Genetics and Pigmentation
Epinephrine has the same metabolic pathway as the pigment melanin, and
the same precursor is needed for the synthesis of both. Genetic
manipulation of coat color could then be useful for breeding in or out
certain behavioral characteristics, such as fear and aggression."

A footnote says, "Todd NB: Cats and commerce, Sci Am, 237:100-107, Nov
1977."

Now, that's a very old Scientific American article. I'd like to know if
there has been any more research done on this topic. In particular, has a
positive correlation been found between coat color and patterns and
behavior? All I have been able to find is a lot of anecdotal talk about
"torties with attitude" and the even temperament of tabbies.

Old May 18th 04, 12:27 PM
CPT \(former!\) Deborah

"Jack Crane" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I don't think I've ever seen any research regarding the topic, but I can
tell you that it cannot possibly be a coincidence that many calico cats *do*
have an attitude! A disproportionate number of the most
aggressive/temperamental cats that I have seen in my career are calicos or
torties. Most everyone who works with animals has undoubtedly seen the same
thing. So it makes perfect sense to me that there are certain behavioral
tendencies that are color-linked. If you do find any research into it,
please let us know!

Deborah, DVM

Old May 18th 04, 04:38 PM
Annie Wxill

"CPT (former!) Deborah" wrote in message
I don't think I've ever seen any research regarding the topic, but I can
tell you that it cannot possibly be a coincidence that many calico cats

*do*
have an attitude! A disproportionate number of the most
aggressive/temperamental cats that I have seen in my career are calicos or
torties. ...
Deborah, DVM

My childhood cat was a calico, as was one of our most recent cats, who died
of liver disease last summer. I've also cared for two calico cats who were
between permant homes.
Every one was sweet-natured and easy to handle. My childhood cat had no
objections to being dressed in doll clothes and pushed around in a doll
carriage. We climbed trees together and went for walks in the fields. When
I was 14 (and beyond dolls) I had to leave her behind with a neighbor when
my parents moved from rural Oregon to a neighborhood with high traffic in
California. The neighbor said the cat was the best friend for her children,
who also dressed her in doll clothes, etc. That cat, an outdoor cat, lived
at least into her teens, as she died a few years after I finished college.
The most recent cat, Moxie, was dumped at our house when she was about four
months old. Our two older neutered males took her under their respective
care. Moxie was the best behaved and gentle cat you could ever see. When
she was near the end of her life, and being treated for her liver disease,
she saw several vets. They all commented on what a sweet cat she was when
undergoing exams and treatments.
One of the other cats lived next door to us for a while. When her owner
moved to a nursing home, we cared for the cat until the woman's family came
from another state to get her. Although the cat, to my knowledge, had never
been around a toddler, she hopped right up on the couch and snuggled up to a
friend's child who had gone down for a nap.
The fourth calico was a tiny kitten that someone dumped near our home in the
country. She walked right up to me and when I spoke to her, she purred. Her
whole face was covered with puss from an upper respiratory infection. I
gave her water to rehydrate her and then fed her and took her to a vet who
worked with a rescue group.
The cat we have had with the most attitude is Cinder, who is solid black
with yellow eyes.
Annie

Old May 18th 04, 06:04 PM
minerva nine

"Jack Crane" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

It's not really clear what the link IS between epinephrine and melanin --
does the study mean that cats with more melanin have more ephinephrine? In
that case, one would have to conclude that all-black cats (assuming their
skin is also black, which it isn't always) have more ephinephrine than
all-white cats, true? I guess torties would fall in the category of having
a lot of pigment, as they tend to be mostly black/brown with some orange
mixed in. However, a lot of calicos have a lot of white, so they wouldn't
be expected to follow the same pattern. I would think tabbies would have a
lot of pigment (again, without actually shaving my cats, I can't say for
sure, and I'm not going there), yet I have two brown tabbies with
significantly different personalities. It's an interesting scientific fact,
though. I wonder if it carries over to humans? Oy, I can hear the
political fallout already.... M9

Old May 18th 04, 06:28 PM
Nicole H

Neighbors cat is a calico. She's hilarious at times. She steals things
(took a watch off the bed side table and dumped it in the toilet).... if
they go out of town and leave her home or put her in a kennel, she will let
them know how angry she is. She will poop right at their feet, or on the
bed.
She definitely has an attitude.
Nicole
"CPT (former!) Deborah" wrote in message

"Jack Crane" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

---

Old May 18th 04, 10:51 PM
buglady

"minerva nine" wrote in message
It's an interesting scientific fact,
though. I wonder if it carries over to humans? Oy, I can hear the
political fallout already.... M9

.........Hmmmmm, the old saw about redheads with a temper could be true, huh?

buglady
take out the dog before replying