Cat water fountain--no takers

Old May 30th 04, 07:41 AM
k conover

Default Cat water fountain--no takers

So I've had the Petmate water fountain up for two days...nice little
trickling of water with accompanying gentle sound--specifically ordered for
future trip I'm going on and for one of two cats that won't drink out of
anything but sinks, old grungy water containers outside, etc.
Both cats are avoiding the thing like the plague and the braver one
freaked out when I tried to gently get him a little closer to it.
How long do you think before I pack it up and ship it back to Drs.
Foster/Smith? Has anyone had one that the cats NEVER took too? Let me
know--thanks!
Kirsten

Old May 30th 04, 01:56 PM
MIKE

I have a drinkwell fountain and the cats never use it. As soon as I use
up the filters, I will put it away or give it away.

-MIKE

Old May 30th 04, 01:56 PM
MIKE

Old May 30th 04, 02:22 PM
Joe Canuck

k conover wrote:

So I've had the Petmate water fountain up for two days...nice little
trickling of water with accompanying gentle sound--specifically ordered for
future trip I'm going on and for one of two cats that won't drink out of
anything but sinks, old grungy water containers outside, etc.
Both cats are avoiding the thing like the plague and the braver one
freaked out when I tried to gently get him a little closer to it.
How long do you think before I pack it up and ship it back to Drs.
Foster/Smith? Has anyone had one that the cats NEVER took too? Let me
know--thanks!
Kirsten

Turn the motor off and present it as just another drinking bowl while
also removing the other available drinking bowls. Let them get well used
to it. Then turn it on.

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

Old May 30th 04, 03:42 PM
MaryL

"k conover" wrote in message
So I've had the Petmate water fountain up for two days...nice little
trickling of water with accompanying gentle sound--specifically ordered

for
future trip I'm going on and for one of two cats that won't drink out of
anything but sinks, old grungy water containers outside, etc.
Both cats are avoiding the thing like the plague and the braver one
freaked out when I tried to gently get him a little closer to it.
How long do you think before I pack it up and ship it back to Drs.
Foster/Smith? Has anyone had one that the cats NEVER took too? Let me
know--thanks!
Kirsten

I bought one because Holly is so attracted to the sound of running water.
She will play with water from any faucet if I turn it on very slow -- sticks
her head under it, drinks from it, bats it with her paws, etc. So, I
thought her own personal drinking fountain would be a natural. In actual
fact, she showed no interest in it at all. She wasn't afraid of it and
would *occasionally* deign to take a sip from it -- but she returned to her
regular bowl for most occasions and still loves water from a faucet. She
will also sit at a sink for a long time after the water is turned off,
looking down at the drain (listening, I think).

Result: I got rid of the drinking fountain. It takes extra clean-up care,
and I decided that there was no reason to try to "train" her to it if she
wasn't interested.

MaryL

Old May 30th 04, 05:03 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

When I first bought my Drinkwell fountain, we set it up in the kitchen. No
cat would come near it. So we emptied it and set on the floor in the most
traveled room in the house. And every day I would scoot it closer & closer
to where I was going to use it. Finally I had it right next to their water
dish, but empty. Next day I added water, and slowly let their old water
dish dry up. They started using it as a water dish. THEN I turned it on.
Shied away from it at first, but now they drink out of nothing else but the
fountain.

--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

Old May 30th 04, 11:41 PM
MIKE

I'm going to try that. The unit is soaking right now and after I clean
it, I'll put it in service without the filter and not plugged in. I'll
see if they use it.

-MIKE