Laser use in neutering procedure?

Old November 24th 04, 05:06 AM
Cheryl

Default Laser use in neutering procedure?

I talked to our vet about the kittens neutering (it will be done at
their next appt, in three weeks). I forgot to ask about their use of
laser in the neutering procedure. What is it, and is this a common
neutering procedure? The estimate of charges adds $50 for each
kitten for "laser".

--
Cheryl
Old November 24th 04, 05:11 AM
KellyH

"Cheryl" wrote in message
I talked to our vet about the kittens neutering (it will be done at
their next appt, in three weeks). I forgot to ask about their use of
laser in the neutering procedure. What is it, and is this a common
neutering procedure? The estimate of charges adds $50 for each
kitten for "laser".

--
Cheryl

I've never heard of using a laser for neutering. Now that I help out on
vetting day at the shelter, I've watched many a neuter and I don't really
know how they would use a neuter. Neuters take about 5 minutes for the vet
to do and are extremely simple. I don't know that it would be neccessary.
As far as spays go, you may opt for the laser for piece of mind, but with
your kittens being so young, they aren't going to bleed much and should
bounce back quickly, anyway.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old November 24th 04, 06:31 AM
Judy

"Cheryl" wrote in message
I talked to our vet about the kittens neutering (it will be done at
their next appt, in three weeks). I forgot to ask about their use of
laser in the neutering procedure. What is it, and is this a common
neutering procedure? The estimate of charges adds $50 for each
kitten for "laser".

--
Cheryl

Why don't you simply call your vet and ask??

Old November 24th 04, 03:06 PM
Phil P.

"Cheryl" wrote in message
I talked to our vet about the kittens neutering (it will be done at
their next appt, in three weeks). I forgot to ask about their use of
laser in the neutering procedure. What is it, and is this a common
neutering procedure? The estimate of charges adds $50 for each
kitten for "laser".

I can understand why a laser would be advantageous in some surgeries but not
in male neuters. The main advantages of a laser are better hemostasis and
less post-op swelling and pain - neither of which are a significant problem
in male neuters. And performed properly, there should be very little, if
any bleeding during female neuters (ovariohysterectomy) as you can see in
this video:

http://www.maxshouse.com/Early_Age_Spay-1.wmv

Save the $150 and use it for a kickin' cat tree! ;-

Phil

Old November 24th 04, 04:52 PM
Steve Crane

Cheryl wrote in message ...
I talked to our vet about the kittens neutering (it will be done at
their next appt, in three weeks). I forgot to ask about their use of
laser in the neutering procedure. What is it, and is this a common
neutering procedure? The estimate of charges adds $50 for each
kitten for "laser".

The "laser" is a cutting instrument. Like a scalpel, but uses laser
light energy to make the cut. It has real advantages in that is
immediately cauterizes the wound area and prevents any blood loss etc.
It makes for a very clean and nice surgical cut. However using it for
a neuter seems a bit much to me. I'd opt for the old stainless steel
scalpel for this kind of surgery.
Old November 25th 04, 04:16 AM
Cheryl

On Wed 24 Nov 2004 09:06:32a, Phil P. wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

"Cheryl" wrote in message
I talked to our vet about the kittens neutering (it will be
done at their next appt, in three weeks). I forgot to ask about
their use of laser in the neutering procedure. What is it, and
is this a common neutering procedure? The estimate of charges
adds $50 for each kitten for "laser".

I can understand why a laser would be advantageous in some
surgeries but not in male neuters. The main advantages of a
laser are better hemostasis and less post-op swelling and pain -
neither of which are a significant problem in male neuters. And
performed properly, there should be very little, if any bleeding
during female neuters (ovariohysterectomy) as you can see in
this video:

http://www.maxshouse.com/Early_Age_Spay-1.wmv

Save the $150 and use it for a kickin' cat tree! ;-

Phil

But from other posts, would it be better to get Scarlett the laser,
and just have Rhett neutered the regular way? I only ask all this
because I've never had kittens before, all of my adults have come
al
9rey900000009

already neutered. (Scarlett's input above) Just like when our vet
gave an estimate for Shamrock's recent dental work, they put in the
"worst case scenario" just so I wouldn't be shocked by a possible
high bill. We had other things to talk about at their visits, and
they were quite ill when I first got them, so getting rid of the
URI was top on my list to talk about.

--
Cheryl

ps - they LOVE the cat trees I have. Shamrock is possesive and
tries to play "king of the mountain" with them, but two against one
is no match. hehehe
Old November 25th 04, 04:20 AM
Cheryl

On Wed 24 Nov 2004 10:52:33a, Steve Crane wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
. com):

Cheryl wrote in message
I talked to our vet about the kittens neutering (it will be
done at their next appt, in three weeks). I forgot to ask about
their use of laser in the neutering procedure. What is it, and
is this a common neutering procedure? The estimate of charges
adds $50 for each kitten for "laser".

The "laser" is a cutting instrument. Like a scalpel, but uses
laser light energy to make the cut. It has real advantages in
that is immediately cauterizes the wound area and prevents any
blood loss etc. It makes for a very clean and nice surgical cut.
However using it for a neuter seems a bit much to me. I'd opt
for the old stainless steel scalpel for this kind of surgery.

thanks for the input, Steve. I don't think they did any laser
cutting at the clinic when I used to volunteer as a fosterer, but I
honestly didn't pay attention to their surgical techniques. The
estimate I was given when it was broken down like they did just
made me question why the laser charges. I will do whatever is the
best way to do it. You guys seem to agree that laser is overkill.

--
Cheryl
Old November 25th 04, 04:21 AM
Cheryl

On Wed 24 Nov 2004 12:31:39a, Judy wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

"Cheryl" wrote in message
I talked to our vet about the kittens neutering (it will be done
at
their next appt, in three weeks). I forgot to ask about their
use of laser in the neutering procedure. What is it, and is
this a common neutering procedure? The estimate of charges
adds $50 for each kitten for "laser".

--
Cheryl

Why don't you simply call your vet and ask??

Gee Judy, I sure wish I had thought of that. I prefer to do some of
my own research before such things are done.

--
Cheryl