The runs....

Old February 26th 06, 08:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default The runs....

Mathew Kagis wrote:
My youngest hoolikitten, Muscat, seems to have a case of the tourist
trots.... No obvious reason why... No diet change, or other apparen health
issues. Still Active & acting normally.... Sage has just been introduced to
the kitty mix in the last couple of weeks... Could the stress of a new cat
cause GI distress?

Yes. I would suspect a parasite, like coccidia or giardia (or worms)
though. If it persists, take him in for a stool sample.
-L.

Old February 26th 06, 12:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I would take a stool sample into the vet and let them determine if
there is a parasite that your kitty picked up. Two weeks is a long
time. Sounds like giardia to me.

Old February 26th 06, 01:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Mathew Kagis wrote:
My youngest hoolikitten, Muscat, seems to have a case of the tourist
trots.... No obvious reason why... No diet change, or other apparen health
issues. Still Active & acting normally.... Sage has just been introduced to
the kitty mix in the last couple of weeks... Could the stress of a new cat
cause GI distress? Muscat is a high-strung little man.
I'm ading a little acidophiluos to his food to see if that helps (can't
hurt) any other suggestions?

the last time my cat had the runs, after a few days, i opened up a
capsule of clindamycin and gave her about 1/15th of a human dose.
humans are calculated to be around 150 pounds, or they were before
mcdonald's. so if she is 10 pounds, the 1/15th seemed appropriate. read
a little on vet texts and it seemed in the ball park. stopped the runs
almost immediately. or so it seemed.

in this case, it was most likely food i had just bought, Lite or
something. either something disagreed with her in the food or that
batch had some serious bacteria. never gave her the food again and no
more runs since then.

it's also possible the runs came from a country mouse she caught and
ate at the same time, so not sure if it was the new food or the mouse.

stress and irritable bowel syndrom will cause things like the runs.

how are you adding acidophilus? by yogurt or the pure powder? i find
pure yogurt can do the opposite, loosen up the bowels. it's not a
binding agent. cheese is a binding agent, maybe a little, it's
fattening but nice to eat.

Old February 26th 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

--
Mathew
Butler to 3 cats: Chablis, Muscat & Sage

Old February 27th 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Mathew Kagis" wrote in message
m...

Thanks for the advice all... I'm gonna give it another day or two & head

for
the vet if things don't 'firm up'.
--

And maybe fix your clock on your computer!

Old February 27th 06, 05:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Buddy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I would take a stool sample into the vet and let them determine if
there is a parasite that your kitty picked up. Two weeks is a long
time. Sounds like giardia to me.

Clarification: Sage arrived 2 weeks ago, the runs arrived 2 days ago....

Old February 27th 06, 06:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

, Muscat & Sage
En Vino Veritas
"cybercat" wrote in message

"Mathew Kagis" wrote in message
m...

Thanks for the advice all... I'm gonna give it another day or two & head

for
the vet if things don't 'firm up'.
--

And maybe fix your clock on your computer!

better?
--
Mathew
Butler to 3 cats: Chablis

Old February 27th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Mathew Kagis" wrote:

And maybe fix your clock on your computer!

better?
--

Perfect. I am easily confused, and your post was always last, so
I kept thinking, where are all the other posts?