(OT) Wish me Luck!

Old August 21st 12, 04:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default (OT) Wish me Luck!

I met with the President of the Board of Directors and the Membership
Director yesterday to address this ridiculous requirement of having to
be a member of "the club". (My friend and neighbor came along to
provide moral support.) This meeting is my last hope of not having to
sell the house.

I was asked to gather my financial information so my request for a
waiver of the membership requirement can be presented to the Board. No
promises, of course. At least they're willing to consider my situation.
It's not like I planned to move here. I moved here to take care of my
parents. There's no other reason I would have come here.

Since their deaths in 2008, this has become my home. I really don't
want to have to move. My last memories of my parents are in this house.
My mother died in this house. I have some very strong ties to this
place (even though I don't like golfers in my back yard and don't use
the "amenities" this membership offers.)

Anyway, the Board can issue a club membership waiver if the majority
agree I'm a "hardship" case. They were very nice people, and seemed to
understand my situation. But it's not up to one person.

I'm thinking I should give them copies of my tax returns which clearly
prove I don't have an income. Maybe also submit copies of Persia's vet
and R/x food bills. Not to mention paying the plumber and repairing the
required security system. And I keep my lawn nice and tidy, even though
I have to pay someone to do that, too.

Of course I have regular bills to pay, just like anyone else. I'm
rather fond of having food, electricity and running water. Persia and
basic necessities take priority over their club membership in my book.

I could use some purrs that I prevail in this matter.

Jill
Old August 21st 12, 06:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debby Hanoka[_2_]

Jill, I would certainly disclose any and all expenditures that would prove both that you don't have an income and that you are a "hardship case." In other words, drown them in paper work and leave no room for misunderstanding or doubt.

Good luck, and purrs to Persia.

Debby Hanoka
(Owned And Operated By Lilith Kitten Mahoney, Nurse Cat)
Old August 21st 12, 06:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

You have all the purrs Boyfie can muster. It's a ridiculous situation - you
own your own house, yet you are required to pay to eat at the clubhouse and
be a member of a club you don't want to be in.
I'm sorry you have to go down the route of proving yourself a "hardship
case" in front of some jumped up people who think they can control your
life. You shouldn't have to do that, it's demeaning.
Lots of luck
Tweed

Old August 21st 12, 06:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

jmcquown wrote:

I could use some purrs that I prevail in this matter.

Jill

Good luck purrs coming your way from Sweety (and Kotyo will join in as
soon as he feels better).

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety
Old August 21st 12, 08:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

I'm with Tweed. I also think it's demeaning that you have to present
yourself as a "hardship case", when that's not really the problem. The
issue is that they're forcibly selling you something that you don't want
to buy. You should just be able to say, "no thanks, don't need that stuff,"
and not have to pay for it.

Of course, that's not how it is, so it's good that you're making the
best of it and doing whatever is necessary to change that policy (for
you).

I'm not sure about sharing the vet bills with them, though. While you
and I consider veterinary care a necessity, some people might look at
that as a luxury, or at least as discretionary. I could imagine someone
thinking, "You claim you're so poor, but you choose to have a pet that
requires high expenses. Maybe you could give away the cat to lower your
expenses?"

It's a fine line, sometimes. You want them to see what your obligations
are, so that they understand your financial limitations. But you don't
want anyone to get the impression that you're asking for a waiver so you
can spend your money on other non-necessities. The people on the board
have the power to decide whether you'll get the waiver, so even if their
values are f-ed up, you have to appeal to them anyway.

Best of luck!!

--
Joyce

The average, healthy, well-adjusted adult gets up at seven-thirty in
the morning feeling just terrible. -- Jean Kerr
Old August 21st 12, 08:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Bastette" wrote in message ...

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That's a good point. I consider vet care for Holly and Duffy to be an
absolute necessity, but many people consider it discretionary. The people
on that board sound like the type the might question it.

MaryL
Old August 21st 12, 09:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

Wishing you luck and sending purrs

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old August 21st 12, 09:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobble[_8_]

jmcquown wrote in news:a9hnv2FijkU1
@mid.individual.net:

[...]

If you don't want to sell - and at a loss these days - and really want to
stay there, by all means show them how poor you are. I would. I wouldn't
care that they know how little money I have as long as I get to stay in my
house and not have to sell it at a loss. It's to your advantage.

Bobble
Old August 21st 12, 09:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Purrs are on the way. Yes, give them all that information, by all means.

Joy

Old August 22nd 12, 12:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/21/2012 1:32 PM, Nadia N. wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

I could use some purrs that I prevail in this matter.

Jill

Good luck purrs coming your way from Sweety (and Kotyo will join in as
soon as he feels better).

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety

Purrs for Kotyo to fee better soon!

Jill