Diabetic Cat question

Old March 4th 13, 01:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Diabetic Cat question

I have a diabetic cat who was diagnosed last week. We have been giving him insulin shots twice a day. His litter mate, a female (both are 8 years old) has been hissing and growling at him since we returned from the vets. They both went to the vets for their regular checkups, so its not like he came home from the vets to a cat that hadn't gone. My question is, can the insulin make a cat "smell" different, that would cause the hissing/growling? My vet had never heard of anything like this. I would love for this to stop as they have always been very affectionate toward each other. The only time they ever did this is when one went to the vets and the other stayed home.
Old March 5th 13, 08:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

This sounds like a classic case of mis-directed aggression. Even though they both went to the vets, the other cat was upset at making the trip and lashed out at the diabetic cat.

I'd suggest that you separate them when you return from a vet trip, no matter if one or both went. Put the aggressive cat in a room after you get back and separate them for a few hours. We do this with our oldest cat for a similar reason and it really makes a difference.
Old March 27th 13, 08:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner[_3_]

On Mar 3, 8:10*pm, wrote:
I have a diabetic cat who was diagnosed last week. *We have been giving him insulin shots twice a day. *His litter mate, a female (both are 8 years old) has been hissing and growling at him since we returned from the vets. *They both went to the vets for their regular checkups, so its not like he came home from the vets to a cat that hadn't gone. *My question is, can the insulin make a cat "smell" different, that would cause the hissing/growling? *My vet had never heard of anything like this. *I would love for this to stop as they have always been very affectionate toward each other. *The only time they ever did this is when one went to the vets and the other stayed home.

How come you let it get fat.....?
Old March 27th 13, 03:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 00:06:33 -0700 (PDT), IBen Getiner
wrote:

On Mar 3, 8:10*pm, wrote:
I have a diabetic cat who was diagnosed last week. *We have been giving him insulin shots twice a day. *His litter mate, a female (both are 8 years old) has been hissing and growling at him since we returned from the vets. *They both went to the vets for their regular checkups, so its not like he came home from the vets to a cat that hadn't gone. *My question is, can the insulin make a cat "smell" different, that would cause the hissing/growling? *My vet had never heard of anything like this. *I would love for this to stop as they have always been very affectionate toward each other. *The only time they ever did this is when one went to the vets and the other stayed home.

How come you let it get fat.....?

I have a fat cat. Three of my cats were grazers, they would eat a bit,
leave, come back for more later. One would eat as much as she could
like there might never be another meal. So what can I do? I leave out
the food so the others can graze and Marlo eats too much and gets fat.

We play and try to keep her active. But she gets fat even if she
doesn't eat more than the others. Some cats, like some people, just
get fat.

I have a cousin who was obese and recently (over a two year period)
lost maybe 140 lbs. She's now pretty normal size but has to eat almost
nothing to avoid gaining weight. There is just something about her
metabolism that causes her to gain weight. If she eats what I eat,
she'd be right back where she was before.

But if you really want to lose weight, don't eat meat. I know quite a
few vegetarians and none over overweight.
Old March 27th 13, 10:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

IBen Getiner wrote:
On Mar 3, 8:10 pm, wrote:
I have a diabetic cat who was diagnosed last week. We have been
giving him insulin shots twice a day. His litter mate, a female
(both are 8 years old) has been hissing and growling at him since we
returned from the vets. They both went to the vets for their regular
checkups, so its not like he came home from the vets to a cat that
hadn't gone. My question is, can the insulin make a cat "smell"
different, that would cause the hissing/growling? My vet had never
heard of anything like this. I would love for this to stop as they
have always been very affectionate toward each other. The only time
they ever did this is when one went to the vets and the other stayed
home.

How come you let it get fat.....?

Not all fat cats are diabetic, nor are all diabetic cats fat. We just
acquired one that is unusually thin because of a thyroid problem. We may
have his thyroid removed, which is a relatively simple operation with cats
and they usually don't need it like we humans do. They can do without
medication after this operation.

Old March 27th 13, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

wrote:

On Mar 3, 8:10 pm, wrote:
[...]

Most of the vegns I know live on sweets. They may start out eating right,
but their eating habits frequently end up being very bad. It is a lot of
work, going without meat....

Old March 28th 13, 09:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

On Mar 3, 8:10 pm, wrote:
I have a diabetic cat who was diagnosed last week. We have been giving him
insulin shots twice a day. His litter mate, a female (both are 8 years
old) has been hissing and growling at him since we returned from the vets.
They both went to the vets for their regular checkups, so its not like he
came home from the vets to a cat that hadn't gone. My question is, can the
insulin make a cat "smell" different, that would cause the
hissing/growling? My vet had never heard of anything like this. I would
love for this to stop as they have always been very affectionate toward
each other. The only time they ever did this is when one went to the vets
and the other stayed home.

It could be that the other cat had a bad experience at the vet, and,
smelling the vet on the other cat, associated the smell with the bad
experience, and blames his friend for it. give it some time, and the memory
will fade away....

Old March 29th 13, 07:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

wrote:

On Mar 3, 8:10 pm, wrote:
[...]

There's a big difference between vegetarian and vegan. Vegan is much
much tougher. But the folks I know who are vegetarians do pretty well.
They eat like I do but just don't use meat. I'm trying to eat less
meat but it's tough because I hate vegetables.