Tasteless use of cat in advertising

Old April 12th 04, 03:21 AM
Ryan Robbins

"Laura R." wrote in message
.. .
sigh Okay, dear, it's time for you to go put on your acne cream and
shave the fur off of your palms. You know how your mommy gets when
you don't wash before bed. What, you claim to be all grown up now?
Then act like it.

I expect kids to resort to name-calling more than I expect adults to do so.
My guess is you haven't grown up.

Old April 12th 04, 03:42 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Ryan Robbins" wrote in message

"Sherry " wrote in message

It was "wreckless." You didn't even catch it, did you?

I don't believe this.

The nature of Usenet requires giving the benefit of the doubt when it

comes
to misspelled words (unless the misspelling is consistent). It's not

always
easy to determine whether a misspelling is truly a misspelling or a typo.

Oh, for cryin' out loud! You obviously missed the whole point - you didn't
twig to the "wreckless" spelling, & now are trying, but not succeeding, to
bluff your way out of that fact. Nor did you catch the pun that was
involved in Laura's reply. In normal circumstances, it'd be a "So what?"
sort of deal. People would've explained the misunderstanding, & it would've
been laughed off by all. However, you've been preening & claiming to hold a
degree in journalism, yet you show a definite lack of acumen in the language
arena.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old April 12th 04, 04:35 AM
MacCandace

You should recast that sentence. It's awkward. And "degree" doesn't work as
a verb in that instance.

She didn't use it as a verb. She said "'degreed' reporters." That would be an
adjective, a modifier, same as if she said "'stupid' reporters." Stupid would
not be a verb.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old April 12th 04, 04:39 AM
MacCandace

So I made a mistake. At least I admitted it.

Really? I guess I missed it. I read where you said you didn't make mistakes.

Old April 12th 04, 04:48 AM
Ryan Robbins

"MacCandace" wrote in message
So I made a mistake. At least I admitted it.

Really? I guess I missed it. I read where you said you didn't make

mistakes.

I guess you missed what I said, then.

Old April 12th 04, 07:46 AM
Mary

"Ryan Robbins" wrote in message

"Laura R." wrote in

message
.. .
But since you ask, in all likelihood, I am more competent than you
are.

Maybe you are, maybe you aren't. But you don't know me, so you're

not in a
position to really be able to form such a hypothesis.

I'm also arrogant, in case you can't figure that out from
context. I assure you, however, that words far more flattering

than
"competent" have generally been used to describe my intellectual
capabilities, and for that, I thank the universe for having giving

me
more than my fair share of gifts.

Most intelligent people don't feel compelled to call people who

disagree
with them names at every turn.

How the hell would you know what "most intelligent people"
feel "compelled" to do?

---