Tasteless use of cat in advertising

Old April 12th 04, 11:46 PM
Mary

"Brandy Alexandre" wrote

Chicago is frustrating and often contradicts itself, but it's what
"they" use.

Exactly why I was forced to use it.

---

Old April 13th 04, 06:16 AM
Mary

"Cheryl" wrote in message
"Ryan Robbins" dumped this in

on 10 Apr 2004:

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Sentences don't start with "And".

You're wrong on that one. They can also start with "but."

There used to be a rule to the contrary. If things have changed, I

don't
approve. It doesn't "sound" right.

--

Psst ... belts and shoes don't have to match now either.

And ....

it is perfectly acceptable to use the passive voice.

Has been for a few years.

Sentence fragments are still no-nos, though.

---

Old April 13th 04, 06:16 AM
Mary

"Cheryl" wrote in message
"Ryan Robbins" dumped this in

on 10 Apr 2004:

Old April 13th 04, 06:59 AM
Ryan Robbins

"Mary" wrote in message
m...

it is perfectly acceptable to use the passive voice.

However, one should use passive voice sparingly. Business people are
notoriously bad when it comes to choosing when to use active voice and when
to use passive voice.

"It was decided to adjourn at 4:30 p.m." is weak. "We decided to adjourn at
4:30 p.m." is strong.

Passive voice is acceptable in the following example:

"The mayor was arrested on suspicion of operating a motor vehicle while
under the influence last night."

The mayor's arrest is the news because he's the mayor.

But if the police arrest Joe Six-pack, "The police arrested a 36-year-old
Boston man on suspicion of operating a motor vehicle while under the
influence last night" is more appropriate because Six-pack's involvement
isn't the news.

Old April 13th 04, 07:13 AM
Sherry

it is perfectly acceptable to use the passive voice.

Has been for a few years.

Sentence fragments are still no-nos, though.

Psssttt.... as is ending a sentence with a preposition. Although there are ways
around it, I suppose. I still remember a kid in high school who got around it
by ending every sentence with "now." Of course this is the same kid who
prounounced hors douvres (SP?) as "horse doovers."

Sherry

Old April 13th 04, 11:41 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Sherry " wrote in message
it is perfectly acceptable to use the passive voice.

Has been for a few years.

Sentence fragments are still no-nos, though.

Psssttt.... as is ending a sentence with a preposition. Although there are

ways
around it, I suppose. I still remember a kid in high school who got

around it
by ending every sentence with "now." Of course this is the same kid who
prounounced hors douvres (SP?) as "horse doovers."

Have you ever read Bill Bryson, & his takes on the use of the English
language? He suggests that we forget about the old dangling prepositions
rule, & let them dangle all we want to. ;-)

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old April 13th 04, 03:23 PM
MGW

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 06:41:50 -0400, "Cathy Friedmann"
wrote:

Have you ever read Bill Bryson, & his takes on the use of the English
language? He suggests that we forget about the old dangling prepositions
rule, & let them dangle all we want to. ;-)

"Mother Tongue" - excellent book! Also explains how we got our crazy
spelling, and has a chapter on swear words g