Tasteless use of cat in advertising

Old April 13th 04, 05:35 PM
Mary

"Laura R." wrote

Sure, but pick a subject that you know well, and watch a movie that
is *about* that subject.

Well, I can see that.

And then there are the ones where you don't
need much specialized knowledge to begin
snickering, like the movies in which Arnie
sets off a bomb in a phone booth and
everyone dies but him.

If the movie is blatantly dumbed-down and/or
"jazzed up", it is annoying. It simply is. It's akin to a pilot
watching a movie in which planes perform impossible feats; you can't
help but notice the dearth of technical accuracy when it's what you
do for a living.

As for content, Best Film I've Seen In Years---White Oleander.
Michele Pfeiffer played a character who was purely heroic and
absolutely villainous at the same time. It took my breath
away. I want to see it again. It was visually beautiful, too.

Agreed. The only thing that grated on me was the damned wig or dye
job or whatever the hell was going on with that girl's hair.

Laura
--
I am Dyslexia of Borg,
Your ass will be laminated.

---

Old April 13th 04, 05:37 PM
Mary

equalizer wrote in message
news
On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 00:16:13 GMT, Laura R.
wrote:

circa Mon, 12 Apr 2004 22:40:50 GMT, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
Mary ) said,
I've seen it and was so annoyed by the pseudo-technical

horse****
that I immediately flushed it from memory. :-)

You know, when I go to the movies I expect horse****--
particularly with regard to techie stuff that does not interest

me.
Hit the high spots and move on, you know?

Sure, but pick a subject that you know well, and watch a movie that
is *about* that subject. If the movie is blatantly dumbed-down

and/or
"jazzed up", it is annoying. It simply is. It's akin to a pilot
watching a movie in which planes perform impossible feats; you

can't
help but notice the dearth of technical accuracy when it's what you
do for a living.

It's not always annoying. You'd have to have been in a theater full

of
climb folk when Cliff Hanger first came out to believe just how much

group of strangers connected by a common theme could whoop it up in

public place. I'm surprised to this day that movie didn't become the
climber's version of the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

eq

As for content, Best Film I've Seen In Years---White Oleander.
Michele Pfeiffer played a character who was purely heroic and
absolutely villainous at the same time. It took my breath
away. I want to see it again. It was visually beautiful, too.

Agreed. The only thing that grated on me was the damned wig or dye
job or whatever the hell was going on with that girl's hair.

Laura

Damn, I was speedreading again and missed this last part of
Laura's post. Are you talking about after the gorgeous
redhead who played Pfeiffer's daughter died her hair
black? Or wigged it?

---

Old April 13th 04, 05:39 PM
Mary

"Brandy Alexandre" wrote

It's great because it covers the most common or most often used.

But
when you have to get down to nitt-gritty and obscure rules, you have

have CMoS.

Probably true, and probably why I would rather
just avoid CMS and have an editor. I hate all that
detail-oriented crap.

---

Old April 13th 04, 05:44 PM
Mary

"Ryan Robbins" wrote

However, one should use passive voice sparingly.

No, one should write exactly as one pleases as long
as one writes well. There is no other rule that makes
any sense. (And if one does not write well no manual
is going to help.)

It is by far more annoying to me to keep finding
ways to avoid the passive voice than it is to
hear it used too much. And all the little people
who make up these stupid rules are only
encouraged by those of you who give
them unction.

---

Old April 13th 04, 05:45 PM
Mary

"Sherry " wrote in message
it is perfectly acceptable to use the passive voice.

Has been for a few years.

Sentence fragments are still no-nos, though.

Psssttt.... as is ending a sentence with a preposition.

I was trying to be funny. Note the sentence frags too. :P

Although there are ways
around it, I suppose. I still remember a kid in high school who got

around it
by ending every sentence with "now." Of course this is the same kid

who
prounounced hors douvres (SP?) as "horse doovers."

There was a kid in my driver's ed class who said
"ped-i-strain" for pedestrian. That killed me.

---

Old April 13th 04, 06:26 PM
Ryan Robbins

"Mary" wrote in message
om...

"Ryan Robbins" wrote in message
news
Perhaps you could enlighten me on this rule of threes thing. I have

looked
in all of my books and can't find any reference to it.

This is very telling. You have way too much time on your hands.

Why is it "telling"?