PING: Job seekers

Old January 14th 05, 10:23 PM
Yowie

Bugger - I didn't know it was that difficult. How ridiculous, when so many
people on the radio and TV are crying out for skilled labour, and the PM is
desperately trying to get people to have more than the 1.4 babies per family
because we'll have a population crisis in 20 years if we don't keep the
population balanced.

Bring people in, I say!

Yowie

"badwilson" wrote in message
It is very difficult to get into Australia. Believe me, I know.
We're in the process of getting our visa right now. It is not fun.
And it's expensive. The application itself is $1800. That's if you
do it all yourself. But the chances of getting in that way are almost
zero. You have to hire a migration consultancy to handle it for you
and they charge $3600. Then you have to pay for medicals (hundreds of
dollars), police clearances, notarization of all your documents,
courier fees, etc.
Mind you, if a company decided they really, really want you, they
might pay for that stuff and sponsor you. But it still takes over a
year of BS.
Also, it's very difficult if you are over 40. They have a point
system and you lose a lot of points if you're over 40. Dennis is 37
and he's already lost 5 points because he's over 35. So now we have
to put $100,000 in the bank for a year to make up for those points.
Good thing we've been saving for 9 years and sold our condo in
Vancouver for a profit.
I think Canada is much easier to get into. And I hear they have a
shortage of strippers and it's really easy to get in right now if you
are one. Anyone interested in stripping in the Great White North???
;-)
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's

"Yowie" wrote in message
Have you considered Australia?

According to the latest news, our unemployment rate is the lowest

its been
since 1973 and we are suffering from an acute skills shortage which

goes all
the way up the management tree - we are even short of executives.

I know many of you can barely afford the rent, let alone packing up

and
moving here, but depending on what your skills actually are, there

may well
be jobs that will subsidise or even cover your relocation costs. I

would
imagine that the cost of living is probably equivalent or cheaper

here than
many of the places in the USA, especially if you find work outside

Sydney or
Melbourne.

Your masters can also come into Australia after vet checks and a

period in
quarantine.

www.seek.com.au
www.careerone.com.au
www.monster.com.au
www.mycareer.com.au
www.jobsearch.gov.au
http://employment.byron.com.au/agencies/ (list of recruitment

agencies by
state)

Hope that helps in some small way,

Yowie

Old January 15th 05, 02:08 AM
badwilson

"Helen Miles" wrote in message
news:5de3bb9bdec900c080f4ee4cada01ef0.76411@mygate .mailgate.org...
"badwilson" wrote in message

I'm going to need HRFL Tiger's advice soon. If all goes well with

our
visa, we will be moving in a little over a year. I'll ping you

when
the time comes :-)
--
Britta

Britta, be aware that Thailand is not in the passport for Pets

Scheme.
( Vino will have to go via Canada for 6 months to qualify - that's

how
I got my guys out of Belize and qualified to come into the UK on pet
passport scheme. They flew up to the USA, stayed there for over 6

months
without leaving, and then flew home.

But sure, as soon as you want info, yell. HRFL Tiger loves to tell
everyone what a seasoned traveller he is!

Yes, I am aware of that. He can also go via Malaysia. We already
have plans and backup plans for how to do it ;-)

Old January 15th 05, 02:17 AM
badwilson

Yeah, I totally agree. When we were there in July we heard a lot of
stuff on TV about how they are paying people some kind of baby bonus
for having more kids. And at the same time they are making it so
difficult for us to live there. I really don't get it. Dennis
already has a job in a Canadian company, he wouldn't even be taking
away any work from Australians. He makes great money and I'd only
want to work part time. We have money and we want to build a nice
house, spending money on the local economy.
Instead, they are now making me take an all day English exam. Ok, so
I was born in Germany and moved to Canada when I was 10. But I really
think that 22 years is enough time to learn English properly.
Especially since I graduated from a Canadian high school and have
diplomas from 2 different Canadian colleges!!! I have one hour
testing on each of reading, writing, listening and speaking. It's
totally ridiculous! And I have to pay almost $200 for the honour :-(

Old January 19th 05, 11:03 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-14, Jo Firey penned:

"Marie Lawrence" wrote in message
u...
I can't believe the length of the flight would stop you from coming to
Australia to work.! Of course Australians accept that we must take long
flights to get overseas, but surely it is not too much to endure for
security and good wages. I have been reading all the posts about job losses
and the problems with Social Security in USA, it is much better here.

Marie in OZ

That's just it. I'm retired. Don't need a job. And while the long flight
sounds like a wimps excuse, it is one reason I hated living in Alaska and
could not live in Hawaii. I just could not be that far from my loved ones.

Jo

I dunno. I have knee problems (specifically misaligned kneecaps, along with
arthritis and probably a few other things thrown into the mix). A three hour
plane flight is painful. The eight hour flight to Germany is torture, even
though I get up and stretch as often as possible. I can imagine that the
flight to Australia would literally reduce me to tears.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch