Back to Lurking! [Was, Introduction]

Old February 18th 05, 01:00 AM
CatNipped

Default Back to Lurking! [Was, Introduction]

"Mary" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.5b385eafb8994a2a9495cb310d551483 @1108687223.nulluser.com..
..
Hi folks!

I am a regular reader of this group, but generally do not
post here because I was around way back when this group was
formed, and I respect your wish to have a warm and fuzzy
place to share kitty things. I don't plan on posting here
after this for the same reason.

Why? Don't you have any warm and fuzzy things you can share with us about
your owners?

Understand, though, that heavy-handed tactics such as the
ones Usenet Lynnie uses with anyone she does not like,
specifically complaining to ISPs about TOS violations
that just have not happened, tends to open a nasty
can of worms for everyone.

On this issue, I have to agree with you. The old, "I may not agree with
what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it"
thing.

*However*, there are *thousands* of places and newsgroups on the net where
people flame each other, vent their spleen, and act totally barbaric and
cruel to each other. There no shortage of places like that to be found if
that's what you like to do.

This little corner of the usenet world is a haven, a place where people
*LIKE* each other and *LOVE* each others furry little owners. This is a
place where we *HELP* each other (there's been many a kitty here whose vet
bills have been paid by total strangers - and even a plane fare purchased
for someone who desperately needed to be with their family over the
holidays). This is totally unheard of anywhere else on the 'net that I know
if.

Here is where I come when the world has been kicking me around, my boss has
screamed at me, and I'm feeling depressed. Here is where I come when I am
sick at heart over the cruelty in the world, the abuse to babies or animals
that has become just too much for me to bear on my own any longer.

I would hate for this group to become like all the rest - we already have
all the rest if we feel like being contentious. This place is special, this
place is even a little bit magic.

Usenet, including this group, is a global,unmoderated forum.
You may wish for a group to be a certain way, but you cannot
enforce that wish. Even here.

No, this is where you're wrong. There's all kinds of enforcement. One form
of enforcement is just plain ignoring what we don't want here (or better yet
using it to share recipes). When it comes down to it, flamers and troll
just want attention and they go away pretty quickly when they don't get it.

And netcops never, ever win.

Purrs to all your kitties, hope you went to look at mine.
I will be over in rec.pets.cats.health+behav, keeping the
world safe from the Lynnies of the world.

Purrs back at yours, and I did go look at the pics of your kitties, they're
adorable (especially the little tuxedo with the spotted nose!).

Hugs,

CatNipped

~Peace~

Mary Smith

Old February 18th 05, 01:06 AM
Cheryl

On Thu 17 Feb 2005 07:40:23p, Mary wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[...]

Gawd you're just so full of yourself. In my mind you are a very
small person with a very big head. Like a caricature.

Mary Smith indeed. Your only point in posting here in the first
place was to bait. Ignoring someone lying about me is not going to
happen with me, I don't care where it is. I'm glad you're leaving.
Good riddance. Go play in health and behavior. At least you have
slurpers there.

--
Cheryl
Old February 18th 05, 02:04 AM
Victor Martinez

Mary wrote:
Usenet, including this group, is a global,unmoderated forum.
You may wish for a group to be a certain way, but you cannot
enforce that wish. Even here.

Oh yes we can. We've been doing it for years.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old February 18th 05, 02:31 AM
Yoj

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Mary wrote:
Usenet, including this group, is a global,unmoderated forum.
You may wish for a group to be a certain way, but you cannot
enforce that wish. Even here.

Oh yes we can. We've been doing it for years.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he
Email me he

Yup. Killfiles are great tools. Ignoring works pretty well too.

Joy

Old February 18th 05, 03:48 AM
Yowie

"Mary" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.5b385eafb8994a2a9495cb310d551483 @1108687223.nulluser.com..
..
Hi folks!

I am a regular reader of this group, but generally do not
post here because I was around way back when this group was
formed, and I respect your wish to have a warm and fuzzy
place to share kitty things. I don't plan on posting here
after this for the same reason.

You are more than welcome to share warm and fuzzy kitty things. You always
have been.

Understand, though, that heavy-handed tactics such as the
ones Usenet Lynnie uses with anyone she does not like,
specifically complaining to ISPs about TOS violations
that just have not happened, tends to open a nasty
can of worms for everyone.

I, and probably the rest of the group, don't give a fig what happens on
other groups. Dragging other group's politics into this one does neither
group justice.

Usenet, including this group, is a global,unmoderated forum.
You may wish for a group to be a certain way, but you cannot
enforce that wish. Even here.

And netcops never, ever win.

Unfortunately, I think you've missed the point of RPCA. We're not just
nameless faceless handles posting words up for other people to read. The
relationships formed here are as much in Real Life as they are in
cyberspace. This isn't *just* a global, unmoderated forum, it is a
*community*, and we act as such.

Purrs to all your kitties, hope you went to look at mine.
I will be over in rec.pets.cats.health+behav, keeping the
world safe from the Lynnies of the world.

Any anecdotes you might want to share about your kitties will always be
welcome here. As are Lyn's, Cheryl's and Karen's and anyone elses for that
matter. We place nice here, and if you can't keep your personal diagreements
with other people to yourself, then this probably isn't the group for you.
There are bazillions of other NGs that you'd probably enjoy, all we ask is
that you let us enjoy our little bit of cyberspace in peace.

Yowie

Old February 18th 05, 04:21 AM
Shiral

All I can tell you is, I came to this group because I love cats, and
want to talk to other cat lovers. I joined this community and have
stayed with it because I discovered the people posting here were also
friendly and fun in addition to being as nuts about cats as I am.

I don't think anybody here is trying to be a policeman or woman. But
we want RPCA to remain the friendly, relaxed group it is now. We
understand that usenet is not moderated, but shouldn't the general will
of the participants of any given forum count, as far as how topics are
discussed? Perhaps that isn't your style, and that's fine. Groups that
argue and flame one another more than they talk about the subject(s)
at hand aren't my style, as it happens. I'd be sorry to see this Forum
degenerate into that kind of News Group. If it were to happen, I'd
leave, however regretfully.

Melissa

Old February 18th 05, 05:21 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-02-18, Yoj penned:

Yup. Killfiles are great tools. Ignoring works pretty well too.

With apologies to Axl Rose and anyone who reads this, with all the talk of
killfiling plus a fortuitous random selection by my iPod, this got stuck in my
head ....

I used to love her ....
(oooh yeah)
But I had to killfile her
I used to love her ....
(awwwww yah)
But I had to killfile her
She b*tched so much
She drove me nuts!
And now we're happier this waayayayayayayah ...

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old February 18th 05, 05:44 AM
OU812?

On 2005-02-18, Yoj penned:

Yup. Killfiles are great tools. Ignoring works pretty well too.

With apologies to Axl Rose and anyone who reads this, with all the talk of
killfiling plus a fortuitous random selection by my iPod, this got stuck in my
head ....

I used to love her ....
(oooh yeah)
But I had to killfile her
I used to love her ....
(awwwww yah)
But I had to killfile her
She b*tched so much
She drove me nuts!
And now we're happier this waayayayayayayah ...

rofl... one of my favorite guns and roses songs.. and put to such good use!

Kristy
Old February 18th 05, 06:00 AM
mlbriggs

On 2005-02-18, Yoj penned:

Yup. Killfiles are great tools. Ignoring works pretty well too.

With apologies to Axl Rose and anyone who reads this, with all the talk of
killfiling plus a fortuitous random selection by my iPod, this got stuck in my
head ....

I used to love her ....
(oooh yeah)
But I had to killfile her
I used to love her ....
(awwwww yah)
But I had to killfile her
She b*tched so much
She drove me nuts!
And now we're happier this waayayayayayayah ...

I keep thinking about a nursery rhyme about two
cats of Kilkenny. Does anyone know it? MLB

Old February 18th 05, 07:29 AM
Yoj

"Shiral" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

If all of us who like the group the way it is killfile anyone who tries to
start a flame war, we can keep it the way it is.

Joy