It's Official: Buffy Is an *Only* Cat

Old March 5th 16, 05:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default It's Official: Buffy Is an *Only* Cat

On 3/4/2016 8:04 PM, The New Other Guy wrote:
On Fri, 4 Mar 2016 23:07:00 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

Dogs don't just run up and bite a stranger either.

Unfortunately, they SOMETIMES do, for no reason we can know.

Not often, but it happens, especially when they're with other dogs.

Yes, it does happen. That's why there are leash laws and regulations
about keeping dogs under your control.

I had a little mutt dog named Sampson, he was with me from the time he
was a tiny puppy, he was just barely weaned. He lived almost 18 years.
When he got old he developed dementia and one day he turned on me. He
didn't recognize who I was so he bit me. I had to go to the doctor to
get a tenatanus shot (he'd had his rabies vaccine so I didn't have to
worry about that.)

Even before that he never liked strangers, especially not men. When I
walked him I'd have to warn off little boys who thought he was a
"puppy". He wasn't a puppy, he was a small dog with very big teeth.

Jill
Old March 5th 16, 07:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

On 3/4/2016 8:45 PM, Will in New Haven wrote:
On Friday, March 4, 2016 at 6:07:16 PM UTC-5, Christina Websell wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 2/27/2016 3:51 PM, dgk wrote:
On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 17:17:55 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

It's quite unusual to bring a cat one is cat-sitting home and then let
it
out (I'd be worried it would wander off in unfamiliar territory). But
you
cannot ask her to keep it out of your yard, that's impossible, cats will
go
where they want to when they are out. It's recognised in law here that
cats
are uncontrollable so for example if Boyfie killed someone's pigeons, I
would not be held responsible, but if my dog did, I would.

That's an interesting approach. But dogs are supposed to be kept under
control and it isn't reasonable to expect a cat to do the same. Of
course, you almost never hear of a cat biting someone who was just
walking by.

Things are different in the UK. shrug I've never had an indoor/outdoor
cat mainly due to many hazards. Dogs, of course, are supposed to be
leashed. And you're right, cats don't just run up and bite a stranger
like some dogs might.

Jill

Dogs don't just run up and bite a stranger either. If a dog bites, there is
a very good reason. In my experience with 30+ years with dogs I've only been
bitten once, breaking up a fight, and that was accidental.

the dog, a Springer Spaniel, we had when I was an infant never bit anyone before I was brought home from the hospital and then she bit _everyone_ but my mother and grandmother who came anywhere _hear_ me. When I started walking she got more lenient about the whole thing and often went a month without biting anyone.

When I was two, Mom brought my little brother home and I was warned not to go near him without my Mom there "because Bumpy will bite you." But she didn't. I was in the Bumpy doesn't bite them club.

No one seemed to think it was odd and no one, to my knowledge, ever suggested putting her down. She died when I was seven and she was almost twenty and had not bitten anyone in about five years. She may have been bored.

Apparently she decided you were her puppy, and she was going to protect
you from everybody else.

I think that even the dogs that do bite have a reason, even though we
may not understand what it is.

It is official Granby Cat community 5 November 15th 07 02:38 PM
It's official Marina Cat anecdotes 15 April 6th 06 03:37 AM
It's official! -L. Cat health & behaviour 8 April 5th 06 02:56 PM
It's official!! Helen Miles Cat anecdotes 14 November 28th 05 03:03 AM
It's Official [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 1 October 25th 05 05:16 AM