A Pair of Cat's Names

Old April 28th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

Default A Pair of Cat's Names

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
John Thomas is not a fit name for a cat. You might as well call
him "Pr**k here in the UK or whatever slang name you use for penis
in the USA. It's just not on.

IMO, the point is moot, anyway, since no one is likely to
summon a cat by "Here, John Thomas" - far more likely it
would be shortened to "Here, Tommy" in no time flat!

I know somebody who moved from Germany to Finland with her cat. She'd
named it something cute and meaningless in German, which happened to
be spectacularly obscene in Swedish (this was a Swedish-speaking part
of the country). And the cat would *not* come in unless you called it
loudly by its old name.

It is not a good idea to try annoying your local fundies by naming your
cat "Allah" or "Jesus Christ". Far too many people are likely to call
it.

One of our rules for pet naming, especially cats, is how we would feel about
standing and yelling that name out our front door at 11 PM, or walking
around the neighborhood calling it.

Jo

Old April 28th 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

I know somebody who moved from Germany to Finland with her cat. She'd
named it something cute and meaningless in German, which happened to
be spectacularly obscene in Swedish (this was a Swedish-speaking part
of the country). And the cat would *not* come in unless you called it
loudly by its old name.

Hmm, wonder what that was. I can't think of anything. Might be funny to
know, though, that the Finnish word for cat, kissa, means 'to ****' in
Swedish.

Old April 29th 07, 01:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jofirey wrote:

[...]

When I was a toddler, my grandmother used to call me
"Tootie" - Until she heard a neighbor woman in the alley
calling her dog: "Here, Tootie, Tootie!"

Jo

Old April 29th 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

jofirey wrote:

[...]

When I was growing up, we had a dog named Honey. One day my Dad was working
in the front yard, and Honey was out there with him. She started to wander
off, so he whistled at her, and called, "Come here, Honey!" A young woman
who happened to be walking by gave him a dirty look. After that, he never
called Honey anything except Dog.

Joy

Old April 29th 07, 06:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Flippy

One of our rules for pet naming, especially cats, is how we would feel
about standing and yelling that name out our front door at 11 PM, or
walking around the neighborhood calling it.

Jo

I always wondered what the neighbors used to think when I stood at the back
door at 11 PM yelling "ROMEO!!, Romeo! Where are you??"

Flippy.

Old April 29th 07, 07:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Flippy wrote:

I always wondered what the neighbors used to think when I stood at
the back door at 11 PM yelling "ROMEO!!, Romeo! Where are you??"

That made me giggle. You might have made it even more effective by
dressing in Renaissance garb and speaking in Olde English.

I remember someone posting in this newsgroup quite a few years ago
that they had a cat who responded to the words "cat food". That wasn't
the cat's name, he had just learned those words and their meaning,
and would come running whenever he heard them uttered.

One evening the cat didn't come home at the expected time, and his
humans got worried. So they start walking around the neighborhood,
peering into bushes and calling "Cat food! Cat food!" That must have
been quite a strange sight.

I wonder who posted that? Tak, you probably remember, don't you?

Joyce
Old April 29th 07, 03:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On 29 Apr 2007 06:07:34 GMT, yodeled:

Flippy wrote:

I always wondered what the neighbors used to think when I stood at
the back door at 11 PM yelling "ROMEO!!, Romeo! Where are you??"

That made me giggle. You might have made it even more effective by
dressing in Renaissance garb and speaking in Olde English.

My all-time favorite "Calvin and Hobbes"-- and that's a hard call --
has Calvin trying to leave the house, and being obstructed by his mom:

Mom: Whither goest thou, young rogue? Can there be yet some infamy
thou has not yet committed?

Calvin: Thou dost wrong me! Faith, I know not where I wander.
Methinks the most capricious zephyr hath more design than I. But lo:
do not delay me for I am resolved to quit this place forthwith.

Mom: Ay, but hear you this: I'll soon know thy business.

Calvin: By my troth, I am off!

The scene in the next frame switches abruptly to the living room,
where Mom is glued to the TV, and Calvin is pulling a disgusted face.

Calvin: Holy Schlamoley, isn't there a cop show on where they talk
like real people?

Mom: Shh!

I remember someone posting in this newsgroup quite a few years ago
that they had a cat who responded to the words "cat food". That wasn't
the cat's name, he had just learned those words and their meaning,
and would come running whenever he heard them uttered.

One evening the cat didn't come home at the expected time, and his
humans got worried. So they start walking around the neighborhood,
peering into bushes and calling "Cat food! Cat food!" That must have
been quite a strange sight.

I wonder who posted that? Tak, you probably remember, don't you?

Joyce

Theresa
Stinky Pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Make Levees, Not War
Old April 29th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in messagenews:bogus-

One of our rules for pet naming, especially cats, is how we would feel about
standing and yelling that name out our front door at 11 PM, or walking
around the neighborhood calling it.

Many years ago some flatmates I knew didn't live with them ever or I
would have stopped it (I had nothing to do with it- remember my cats
all have weird names but even if I allowed the Fabulous Furballs out,
no-one is likely to have been offended if I called "Redunzel.
Sarrasine!" unless one of those names is inadvertently obsence in some
other language I know nothing about) named their little white female
kitten "Poofta"

They lived by a very busy tube station and many a night they'd stand
outside about 6.00 shouting "Poofta!" and if anyone said anything they
could say "We're calling our cat in"

As it was in tribute to commuters no-one did give them any hassle and
after a while when the shock effect wore off for them, Poofta was
usually called "Puffy" at home

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old May 2nd 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

I don't agree with naming pets with such names, neither do I like birds
being taught to swear.
They are innocent. It's a shame on us to insult them like this. IMO.

Do you worry that some harm might come to the animal, as a result of the
name or (in the case of a parrot) the swearing? That is, that someone would
get hostile because of those things and take it out on the animal? I've
never heard of any such incidents, but there are certainly some highly
strung individuals who would not be hard to set off. But then in that case,
I wouldn't want my animals anywhere near that person no matter what their
names are. There are nutcases out there no matter what you do.

Otherwise, I can't see what harm it does to the animal. A cat's dignity
is not defined by a name given to it by a human. Now, falling off the
windowsill, that's another matter. (Wash, wash, wash - I meant to do
that!)

Joyce

What a pair! Pat Cat anecdotes 3 March 7th 07 01:56 PM
Are your cat's names on the list? Flippy Cat anecdotes 23 November 24th 06 05:07 PM
Sacramento, CA: PAIR OF BEAUTIES - CATS Hi Im WEEniE with MyFav4ite Midi Cat rescue 0 January 30th 05 12:51 PM
Your Cat's Names Rob Riemensnyder Cat anecdotes 144 May 27th 04 08:11 PM
Meowmie bought another pair of shoes... Marina Cat anecdotes 28 May 9th 04 08:21 AM