[OT] Getting terrified

Old June 19th 07, 07:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn

Default [OT] Getting terrified

I'm in limbo on the apartment situation. I applied online over the
weekend, but have heard nothing.

The current landlord called me back today (I left a message Saturday).
It was not good.

I went through my concerns about the lease (well, actually, only some of
them before he cut me off). He kept saying "Well, I'm really not
worried about that." And that he wants all of us to be on the same
lease. I asked directly if he would be willing to initial portions that
would be crossed out by me. He danced around that question, and never
did answer it.

You know how people sometimes say something out of the blue, and you
wonder why in the world they are bringing that particular concern up,
because you didn't even mention it? And it hits you that they are doing
exactly what they are saying they are *not* doing? "Honestly, I'm not
trying to force you all out." Wow. Ummm, yeah, I think you are.

He said he really needed the lease signed by June 15th (I called him
June 16th), and claimed he had included in his note with the lease the
date he wanted us out if we did not sign the Wretched Lease. He had not.

I asked him when the water/sewer bill was due, as he had put it in my
mailbox over the weekend, and written "Due by June 1st." Huh? He
mumbled over that, and said "well, it's okay if you send it with your
next rent check."

He said something about treating this as a business. Period.

I told him he had weed-whacked my garden. He did apologize, but claimed
it all looked like weeds. (Okay, broken hip, not doing too well at
pulling weeds right now.) Picture nearly 52-year-old woman squatting on
the ground, then sitting, then realizing there is no way in hell she can
get up again! lol.

He then stated (didn't ask) that he wanted "trash" removed from my back
porch and sidewalk area, mumbling about something, he didn't know what
it was, and termites. I found a tree stump which had a good feel to it,
and I put it in the garden. I also have a compost pile (very small).
He's complaining about the risk of termites. DH, whose dad worked for
Orkin, tells me in Ohio, termites live underground, not above, because
it gets too cold here. Dear landlord weed-whacked my lovely little tree
stump to look inside. He's ruined that little bit of magic, so fine,
let him take it.

I looked up some legal stuff, and there is not much I can do. I would
like to stay month-to-month as I have been for over a decade, but it
looks as though he can order us out of here with three days' notice.
And then, he can start proceedings to evict us, which I think is what he
is going to do. I cannot, in good conscience, sign that lease without
him deleting a healthy portion of it.

Okay, I realize I'm babbling (yet again!). But without any definite
word on the other apartment, I am getting more and more terrified that
that particular possibility will fall through (Mercury *is* retrograde
-- sigh), and that we will end up being evicted for no other reason than
this arrogant young man wants us and the cats gone.

Sigh. Sorry for being self-indulgent and whining yet again. But I am
on a very shaky precipice that threatens to collapse any minute; and if
it does, I will lose my babies. And I cannot let that happen.

Continued purrs welcomed.

Ginger-lyn
freaking out

Old June 19th 07, 08:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

Ginger-lyn wrote in news:SRKdi.2744$ZY1.2221
@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

[...]

You should investigate as many possibilites as you can not just the one
you have already mentioned. I agree the current LL wants you out and it
is very sad not to mention maddening but there may be little you can do.
I hope things go well. I can only imagine how frightening this is for
you. I really really hope this ends up being a blessing in disguise for
you. Fingers crossed here.

Andy
Old June 19th 07, 01:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Ginger-lyn wrote:
Continued purrs welcomed.

Will keep purring. Things happen for a reason. I think you'll find much
better living quarters soon.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old June 19th 07, 02:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

I don't know your area, but have you looked at small houses to rent. My
daughter had to move a month ago and she found a (tiny) house that was build
in back of another house. Probably was a guest house back in the day. So
she has a yard and a decent neighborhood and reasonable rent. And can keep
her cats.

Jo
ink.net...

Old June 19th 07, 03:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 06:38:42 GMT, Ginger-lyn
yodeled:

(snip)
Sigh. Sorry for being self-indulgent and whining yet again.

Hardly. I just feel helpless that I cannot do more to help you.

But I am
on a very shaky precipice that threatens to collapse any minute; and if
it does, I will lose my babies. And I cannot let that happen.

Continued purrs welcomed.

My heart goes out to you as well as our purrs.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old June 19th 07, 05:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Irulan

We are purring and praying mightily that you get
all of this sorted out to you best advantage.

Lily & her mama

--
Irulan
from the stars we come

ink.net...

Old June 19th 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Continued purrs on the way! Do you have a friend or relative who could help
you out? Have you looked at the laws specifically about eviction in your
state (here in Texas, I believe they have to give you 30 days grace period
to move out *after* they give you an eviction notice)?

Hugs,

CatNipped

ink.net...

Old June 19th 07, 05:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Getting terrified

On Jun 19, 1:38 am, Ginger-lyn wrote:
[...]

I'm sorry that you are going through this. Don't feel that you are
whining. you are among friends who care. You never know when somebody
might have a solution that never occurred to you. When you are
stressed, it's hard to think things through by yourself.

First, I want to make the disclaimer that I am not an attorney and
have no knowledge of your rights as a tenant. I do have some thoughts
that you might want to consider, but If you can find an agency or
something that helps with rental problems, you probably should run
anything you decide to do or not do by them before taking or not
taking any action. Looking up legal stuff is a good idea, but if you
can find it, you could also use some legal advice. Maybe you and some
other concerned tenants can join together to find some help, or at
least some advice as to your rights.

You say you want to stay there on a montn-to-month lease, but are you
sure? It sounds like you really will not want to live there any
longer than you have to. It has become an emotionally toxic
environment for you.

However, you need time to find another place. Even if he orders you
out with the three days, it should take him some time to actually
evict you. I suppose it would depend on what grounds he uses. How
long would depend on your local rental laws. Probably 30 days, I
assume, as long as you are current in your rent and are on a 30-day
lease. And, if he has a specific date for you to be out, I would
assume that he would have to send it by certified mail, not enclosed
in a notice. He would need proof that he sent it and you received it.

You expect be evicted if you don't sign the lease. But, he said that
he's not worried about the concerns that you addressed and that he
wants everyone on the same lease. If you sign it, you will have to
stay there for that length of time and under his rule, whatever that
rule turns out to be.

I wonder what have you got to lose if you cross out the parts you
don't like and sign it. If he does not accept it, it appears that you
would be right back where you are now. If he does accept it, you will
get to stay, but he will be always looking for an excuse to give you
problems and make you unhappy enough to leave. But, it is not easy to
break a long-term lease. However, as long as you are on a month-to-
month rental, you each usually have to give the other 30-day's notice.

I think your best bet is to find another place as fast as possible.
If you don't hear from the place you saw, you might call and ask about
the status of your application. Ask if they need anything else from
you, such as a recommendation from your prior landlord of 10 years.

You will want to coordinate your move out of your current place and
your move into a new place so that the dates are close enough that you
don't end up paying rent for two places at the same time. Remember,
you also have to give the required notice before leaving to avoid
having to pay future rent. I have know idea how this notice business
applies if the landlord has already given you notice to leave.

Whatever you do, be sure to keep a written log of what is going on.
Include all the actions you have posted here. If the landlord
violates the rental law in his treatment of you, you may be entitled
to damages.

If you decide to or need to move:

Finally, this is important. It will be difficult at first given your
current state of mind, but it will help you feel better and succeed at
finding a better situation. Really it will. Say out loud that this
change will be for the best. When you start to panic, repeat that
something better is coming to you. Visualize yourself and your cats
in this better place. Be thankful for the last 10 years, then know
that other places can provide you with the same shelter and comfort
you enjoyed here. Make yourself believe that those places are out
there waiting for you to find them and move in. If one doesn't work
out, don't dwell on it. Instead, tell yourself that it is a sign that
you'll find something even better. No, it won't be easy to think this
way at first. But, what you have now is making you feel bad. Finding
a more suitable situation would make you feel good. Don't concentrate
on what makes you feel bad. Put your focus on what will make you feel
good.

Our purrs and prayers are with you.

Hugs and best wishes,

Annie

Old June 19th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

I'm in limbo on the apartment situation. I applied online over the
weekend, but have heard nothing.
The current landlord called me back today (I left a message Saturday).
It was not good. [...]

Have you considered contacting the press? From what you describe, he
isn't the sort of person whose operations would all be 100% legal, and
people like that *really* hate reporters sniffing around looking for
a story. And once one newspaper has got him properly smeared as a
widow-evicting kitten-killing monster, others will follow.

Just remember that journalists are lazy. The more information you
can give them, the more likely they are to run a good story.

Old June 19th 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Ginger-lyn wrote:

I'm in limbo on the apartment situation. I applied online over the
weekend, but have heard nothing.

body of message snipped out of concern for length of
repetition

I looked up some legal stuff, and there is not much I can do. I would
like to stay month-to-month as I have been for over a decade, but it
looks as though he can order us out of here with three days' notice. And
then, he can start proceedings to evict us, which I think is what he is
going to do. I cannot, in good conscience, sign that lease without him
deleting a healthy portion of it.

I know money is a big concern for you, and attorneys are
expensive, but it might be worth your while to find an
attorney who specializes in such things and see what your
options REALLY are. I think that, if you are involved in a
lawsuit fighting eviction (unless crime or drugs are
involved), and continue to pay your rent on time, they
CANNOT evict you, but I'm not a lawyer, and laws vary from
state to state. (You might ask "We the People" or some
other paralegal group to recommend someone, if they don't
handle such cases themselves.)

Believe me, I can really relate to your plight - I have a
lease, but am not the only thoroughly disgruntled tenant in
my complex. Most of the "amenities" - concierge service,
recreational building with various tenant activities, etc,
disappeared under the new ownership and we have no recourse.
(The Recreation Building is still there, of course - sign
and all - but it's now a storage building for their
Maintenance department.) Fortunately, I have a pet-friendly
"senior housing" Independent Living facility lined up.
(Application on file, initial "holding" deposit accepted and
all systems "go".) But I've known since December that I
didn't WANT to stay here, so have time to plan, get rid of
unneeded crap, and be ready to move when the time is ripe.

Being hit with a ****ty landlord so suddenly when you've
lived there for years is a real bummer!