Canned kitten food?

Old January 29th 05, 05:00 AM
Cheryl

Default Canned kitten food?

There aren't a lot of canned kitten food out there, or feline
growth formulas. Little Scarlett hasn't thrived as much as her
brother since she has had many set backs with first herpes- or
conjuctivtis-like issues, then the problem after her spay surgery.
She's turned into a very picky eater.

They were first eating Innova in the red can after I adopted them.
Their first month with their rescuer, they ate nothing but dry
Kitten Chow, but after observing how they hovered over the water
dish as if dehydrated, I decided canned food was going to be their
main food.

Scarlett doesn't have the problem her brother does when changing
food (Rhett gets diarrhea if not changed slowly; Scarlett has never
had a problem with her stools) so I've tried many brands and
flavors with her to find something she consistently eats. Rhett is
easy-going, but will hone in on Shamrocks or Bonnie's food if they
walk away, but he'll eat his own food, or go eat the dry SD Kitten
mixed with Wellness kitten food. Scarlett doesn't like dry food. I
discovered that she loves turkey. It was all she'd eat when she was
infected by her sutures. I still give her some when she gets picky
and I know that is not discouraging pickiness. If you saw her,
you'd give her whatever she will eat, too. If it is ok to keep
feeding her turkey on an every-other-day or so basis, should I ask
the vet for a taurine supplement? Should I worry about mixing in a
calcium supplement in such a young cat, even if the main food isn't
just the turkey (or chicken)?

--
Cheryl
Old January 29th 05, 05:16 AM
Mary

"Cheryl" wrote in message
There aren't a lot of canned kitten food out there, or feline
growth formulas.

That's funny, Iams kitten food is in all of our grocery stores.

Old January 29th 05, 05:21 AM
Cheryl

On Fri 28 Jan 2005 11:16:28p, Mary wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav (news:w6EKd.45603$dt3.4124510
@twister.southeast.rr.com):

"Cheryl" wrote in message
There aren't a lot of canned kitten food out there, or feline
growth formulas.

That's funny, Iams kitten food is in all of our grocery stores.

Yeah, but IAMS sucks. She won't even eat it.

--
Cheryl
Old January 29th 05, 06:06 AM
Mary

"Cheryl" wrote in message
There aren't a lot of canned kitten food out there, or feline
growth formulas.

That's funny, Iams kitten food is in all of our grocery stores.

Yeah, but IAMS sucks. She won't even eat it.

--

My cats won't touch it either. I keep trying because
it's the only grocery store canned food in which

Old January 29th 05, 03:26 PM
KellyH

"Cheryl" wrote in message
[...]

If you can find a canned adult food that she likes, try mixing in some
powdered KMR for nutritional supplement. She might like Wellness Turkey and
Chicken since it is real food.

I've had foster kittens that gravitate towards my adult cats' food (the
shelter supplies me with Iams wet and dry). They seem OK with it until they
eat my cats' food, then they won't go back to their own. They all grow and
gain weight normally. Of course then my cats want to eat the kitten food...
sigh.
--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old January 29th 05, 06:54 PM
Slimpickins

"Cheryl" wrote in message
[...]

**Hi Cheryl,

Your kitty sounds sort-of like my little guy, Dove. Dove is a verrry light
eater, and has always been this way. I seem to have opened can after can, of
cat food to try to placate him and get him to eat. He just nibbles and just
eats a tad of whatever I put down (on his clean dish) for him. I thought I
hit the jack pot when I bought a can* of (96% fatfree) turkey (Hormel brand,
I think), and actually did eventually eat all of it. He drank the juice
first, and eventually ate it all. Wow, I'm thinking! It/ canned turkey
costs about $1.89 and you can buy it in the meat/tuna canned foods sections
of your grocery store. It sure costs more than cat food no doubt, but I
rationale that it's still cheaper than feeding a child. Lucky me, I don't
have any of those* type of critters ;-)!

Also, Cheryl, I would give your picky eater a liquid* vitamin supplement, if
you aren't already. For some reason, I have noted that often the liquid
kinds of cat multi-vitamins do not* have essential taurine in them that cats
require. However, you can* order a liquid multi-vitamin with* taurine in it
via this web site.....

http://www.shopusanimal.com/

Or better still, IMO, call them to inquire about what they have available,
then order, at # 1-800-526-5227.

Good luck to you and your babies and please keep us posted :-)!

ML

Old January 30th 05, 07:51 AM
Chris

None of my cats ever liked the Iams cat food--I switched to the regular food
which was fine for them.....

Old January 31st 05, 01:45 AM
Cheryl

On Sat 29 Jan 2005 09:26:11a, KellyH wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav ):

If you can find a canned adult food that she likes, try mixing
in some powdered KMR for nutritional supplement. She might like
Wellness Turkey and Chicken since it is real food.

Good ideas, Kelly. Both of them will eat Wellness. The KMR is an
idea too. Thanks!

I've had foster kittens that gravitate towards my adult cats'
food (the shelter supplies me with Iams wet and dry). They seem
OK with it until they eat my cats' food, then they won't go back
to their own. They all grow and gain weight normally. Of
course then my cats want to eat the kitten food... sigh.

Yes, I'm having that problem with Bonnie finding and eating the dry
kitten food I leave for grazing since I'm gone for at least 10
hours a day during the week. I've mostly stopped that by blocking
the door so that there's only enough room for the kittens to get
through, and once they're too big for that, they shouldn't need to
have the dry all day. It's rough.

--
Cheryl
Old January 31st 05, 01:49 AM
Cheryl

On Sat 29 Jan 2005 12:54:16p, Slimpickins wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

Your kitty sounds sort-of like my little guy, Dove. Dove is a
verrry light eater, and has always been this way. I seem to have
opened can after can, of cat food to try to placate him and get
him to eat. He just nibbles and just eats a tad of whatever I
put down (on his clean dish) for him. I thought I hit the jack
pot when I bought a can* of (96% fatfree) turkey (Hormel brand,
I think), and actually did eventually eat all of it. He drank
the juice first, and eventually ate it all. Wow, I'm thinking!
It/ canned turkey costs about $1.89 and you can buy it in the
meat/tuna canned foods sections of your grocery store.

Thanks! I'm really trying not to encourage eating food other than
formulated cat food, but as you know with your Dove, sometimes it
just seems they need *anything* to keep meat on their bones.

[...]
Also, Cheryl, I would give your picky eater a liquid* vitamin
supplement, if you aren't already. For some reason, I have
noted that often the liquid kinds of cat multi-vitamins do not*
have essential taurine in them that cats require. However, you
can* order a liquid multi-vitamin with* taurine in it via this
web site.....

http://www.shopusanimal.com/

Looks good. Thanks for the tip. I did a little research on taurine
and it seems that its impossible for them to get too much, and any
unused will pass through.

--
Cheryl
Old January 31st 05, 01:50 AM
Cheryl

On Sun 30 Jan 2005 01:51:19a, Chris wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
k.net):

None of my cats ever liked the Iams cat food--I switched to the
regular food which was fine for them.....

Looks like that's what I'm going to be doing. The male is growing
normally (and wow! is he ever!). Thanks Chris!

--
Cheryl