how often 2 Use squirt gun?

Old September 23rd 07, 09:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ensoul

Default how often 2 Use squirt gun?

and do I squirt only when they fight or every time they hiss and/or
growl at each other?

lynn ..you all sick of me now

Old September 23rd 07, 11:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response from ensoul :

and do I squirt only when they fight or every time they hiss and/or
growl at each other?

My spouse does it whenever kitty is being mean for no reason.
Sometimes it is a little late in my opinion if kitty hisses, you snag
the water bottle and squirt, it is a good five seconds at least from
the time kitty hissed. So I think if you are able to do it quickly,
spray whenever.

Otherwise, only when they are fighting.

And to be honest, I am not entirely sure spraying a cat with water is
OK.

lynn ..you all sick of me now

Not I.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old September 24th 07, 11:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"ensoul" wrote in message
ups.com...
and do I squirt only when they fight or every time they hiss and/or
growl at each other?

lynn ..you all sick of me now

My opinion is, *never* use the squirt gun. The cat would not be hurt
physically, but your cat may learn to associate the action only with *you.*
One person told me about how she thought here cat had been taught not to use
the counter -- but, on one occasion when she arrived home from work, she
happened to glance at the window and saw her cat on the counter. When she
opened the door, the cat was in the other room and "appeared" to be resting
on the sofa. It is much more effective to use some form of positive
distraction. For example, wave a wand with a feather on it or simply call
the cat to you.

MaryL