Costco's Kirkland Cat Food = Premium Cat Food?

Old January 19th 05, 04:01 PM
Cat Protector

My 3 cats are just fine with the store bought brands and don't seem to like
what some here would call the Premium Brands. I think a lot of what the cat
will eat depends on the cat. Some cats do very well on what some here call
the lower quality foods while others do fine on the more premium type foods.
I have tried a couple of times to switch to the higher end foods and my cats
won't eat it. I feed my cats Special Kitty from Walmart and they are doing
just fine.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

"asylumboss" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have two Bengals (4 and 1 Years old) and a festively plump 13 year
old tabby. The tabby can eat almost any good kind of food (ones found
at pet stores, not corner stores) without much change to his fur,
energy, stool, weight, etc. However, one of the Bengals has a very
sensitive stomach and both Bengals have nasty smelling stool. The older
Bengal was being fed Kirkland food for the first 3 years, then I got
him and he had really runny, nasty stool at my house. I tried all kinds
of things and finally was buying Sensitive Stomach food (Science diet)
for 25 dollars for a 10 lb bag. I do not have a Costco membership and
therefore was not buying it....also figured these more expensive ones
would be better. Long story short- a year later- I have switched to
Kirkland food and for the first time ever this cat has solid stool, and
more of it- it is quite bulky. (don't know if that is bad) And now I
spend 10 dollars for a 20 lb bag- a MUCH better deal! Anyway, they
still look good- I have also started adding hemp seed oil for their fur
and digestion. Seems to be working and the breeder swears by this food-
it does not have much corn in it and this is good as it is hard to
digest.
Traditionally, Bengals can have digestive issues. Hope this helps!

Old January 19th 05, 08:20 PM
Sherry

My 3 cats are just fine with the store bought brands and don't seem to like
what some here would call the Premium Brands. I think a lot of what the cat
will eat depends on the cat. Some cats do very well on what some here call
the lower quality foods while others do fine on the more premium type foods.
I have tried a couple of times to switch to the higher end foods and my cats
won't eat it. I feed my cats Special Kitty from Walmart and they are doing
just fine.

--

You're just so wrong about that, but you'll never listen. Of course they like
Special Kitty better. It's probably full of fat and sodium. Kids like

Sherry
Old January 19th 05, 08:28 PM
Justin L

"Sherry " wrote in message
[...]

I agree with you, but what good is giving them the premium expensive food if
they refuse to eat it?

Will they eventually eat the good food if they get hungry enough, or be
stubborn and just starve themselves?

Justin

Old January 19th 05, 09:52 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-19, Justin L penned:

I agree with you, but what good is giving them the premium expensive food if
they refuse to eat it?

Will they eventually eat the good food if they get hungry enough, or be
stubborn and just starve themselves?

That seems to depend on the particular cat.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old January 19th 05, 11:54 PM
Ray

My experience is that they would eventually eat. When I was training
one of my cats to switch from dry food to wet food, it took about 3
days for the cat to eat the wet food. For 3 days, the cat just drank
some water. It is fine and very healthy now.

Old January 20th 05, 12:46 AM
Sherry

I agree with you, but what good is giving them the premium expensive food
if
they refuse to eat it?

It's hard to get them off of it. Years ago I used to feed Meow Mix. I finally
had to mix the stuff to get them started eating something better.

Will they eventually eat the good food if they get hungry enough, or be
stubborn and just starve themselves?

Some cats *will* starve themselves. They'll go without eating and put
themselves at risk of hepatic lipidosis. They're not like dogs. Especially
older, overweight cats *can't* go without food, it's risky for them. The trick
is to outsmart them. (As soon as I figure out how to do that, I'll let you know
:-)

Sherry

Old January 20th 05, 03:03 AM
Cat Protector

This is precisely why these food debates should not take place. Some cats do
just fine on plain old store bought brands and others don't. My cats don't
like the premium brands and will eat the stuff they currently eat.

Old January 20th 05, 06:44 AM
asylumboss

Good for you! My cat lived to be 18 as well- the main thing that I
watched was that the ash content was low- he did get blocked as a young
fella and had to go get emergency treatment adn would have died without
it. I fed him decent food, and as he got older I did give him some
scraps....
I now have this big fatty tabby and my two Bengals- the fatty is fat no
matter what I feed him (including diet food, high quality) and he
really does not eat much. He is just a big, twenty lb tabby- the vet
said that he is fine. The one Bengal can be touchy because of his
stomach, this is when the food does matter! Do try hemp seed oil though
if you want- this give essential fatty acids that they don't get
otherwise! If your cats are living that long, obviously you are doing
something right! After reading this, I am not going to do anymore
research on Costco food- if it's good enough for the breeder, it's good
enough for me! I think those other foods are just over priced and if
you compare the ingredients- Costco is the same as Iams!! Take care!

Old January 20th 05, 07:14 AM
Cat Protector

Do you have evidence to support your hypothesis? As for the phosphorus
level, the bag says it is .8%. It also has no artificial flavoring or
colors. BTW, if this brand was so bad I doubt they'd print on the bag "For
your pet's health see your veterinarian regularly." My cats are healthy and
happy which is pretty much what matters. They eat and are well cared for as
well as loved. That is really what matters.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

"GAUBSTER2" wrote in message Interesting. What most
people don't realize is that as long as they feed their
cats copious amounts of salt, then the cats will never "eat" the better
premium
brands. And what do you mean by "they are doing just fine"? Have you had
bloodwork done on them? What are the BUN levels? What is the phosphorus
content (or the sodium content for that matter) of "special kitty from
walmart"? How about the urinary pH output of that food? Basically,
what's
going on INSIDE the cat(s)? This isn't an indictment, just a few
questions
that one should ask themselves.