Cat with Kidney Stones

Old March 23rd 04, 04:21 PM
Karen

Have you considered calling other vets? It's hard for me to believe that
vets in Canada don't have any options. When our cat had some 20 odd years
ago, our vet surgically removed them. Consider posting this to
alt.med.veterinary and rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Karen

"adrie" wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
Hi all,

My 13 year old kitty was just diagnosed with Kidney stones (calcium
oxalate) and the vet says there is nothing we can do about it. She says
that the only treatments available are in the States, we live in Canada.

I'm hoping for some advice on what to do to keep my girl comfortable and
as healthy as possible, because I don't know what else to do. The vety
says she will only be in pain if the stones start to move again, but I've
heard about how horrible he pain is and it just makes me want to cry at
the thought of her going thru that.

Any advice anyone can offer me would bemuch appreciated.

Thanks,

adrie

Old March 23rd 04, 07:03 PM
adrie

Hi Karen,

Thanks for the forum advice.

As for the second opinion, I've called several vets and they say that they
do not know of a single vet in Canada that will operate on a cats kidneys
to remove the stones. They can operate on the bladder but the kidneys they
don't.

I refuse to believe it as well but so far I just keep running into brick
walls.

Thanks again,

Adrie

Old March 23rd 04, 07:21 PM
Karen

Perhaps you could call or write the cat vet listed at the bottom of this
page:

http://www.vet.utk.edu/clinical/sacs/lithotripsy.shtml

Since they seem to treat kidney stones and explain no procedures are
available in Canada and you wondered if there is anything you can do. I
have found people to be very helpful when I write for various things and
information. My guess is you would at least get a suggestion of what to do
or where to go.

Karen

lkaboutpets.com...

Old March 23rd 04, 11:44 PM
adrie

Karen, thank-you so much for the link I will call/write. You just got me to
thinking of calling the University of Guelph bec they have a Veterinary
Teaching Hospital and I'm thinking that they may be able to offer me some
sort of help OR refere me to someone.

*crossing my fingers and hoping*

Adrie

Old March 23rd 04, 11:57 PM
Karen

"adrie" wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
Karen, thank-you so much for the link I will call/write. You just got me

thinking of calling the University of Guelph bec they have a Veterinary
Teaching Hospital and I'm thinking that they may be able to offer me some
sort of help OR refere me to someone.

*crossing my fingers and hoping*

Adrie

Keep us posted!!

Old March 24th 04, 01:07 AM
Brenda

"adrie" wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
Hi all,

My 13 year old kitty was just diagnosed with Kidney stones (calcium
oxalate) and the vet says there is nothing we can do about it. She says
that the only treatments available are in the States, we live in Canada.

I'm hoping for some advice on what to do to keep my girl comfortable and
as healthy as possible, because I don't know what else to do. The vety
says she will only be in pain if the stones start to move again, but I've
heard about how horrible he pain is and it just makes me want to cry at
the thought of her going thru that.

Any advice anyone can offer me would bemuch appreciated.

Thanks,

adrie

I have no advice - just wanted to send some purrs.
Brenda

Old March 24th 04, 04:52 AM
Marina

"adrie" wrote
Karen, thank-you so much for the link I will call/write. You just got me

thinking of calling the University of Guelph bec they have a Veterinary
Teaching Hospital and I'm thinking that they may be able to offer me some
sort of help OR refere me to someone.

*crossing my fingers and hoping*

I'm too far away to help you, but we are purring for you and your cat to
find someone who can help you.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old March 24th 04, 06:51 AM
LOL

"adrie" wrote in message alkaboutpets.com...
Hi all,

My 13 year old kitty was just diagnosed with Kidney stones (calcium
oxalate) and the vet says there is nothing we can do about it. She says
that the only treatments available are in the States, we live in Canada.

I'm hoping for some advice on what to do to keep my girl comfortable and
as healthy as possible, because I don't know what else to do. The vety
says she will only be in pain if the stones start to move again, but I've
heard about how horrible he pain is and it just makes me want to cry at
the thought of her going thru that.

Any advice anyone can offer me would bemuch appreciated.

Thanks,

adrie

I'm afraid I can't offer any help or advice, as I don't know anything
about the condition and am in the US, but I wanted to post to offer
our purrs and prayers for your girl's good health, and for luck in
finding a treatment for her.

------
Krista
Old March 25th 04, 04:19 PM
adrie

Thank-you everyone for the purrs! I'm still waiting to hear from the vet
school so I guess all I can do now, is wait.