The heat and how to protect my cats???

Old July 21st 05, 06:30 AM
Ummmmm

Default The heat and how to protect my cats???

I was just curious if any one knows the best way to cool off a pet cat? She
has a really thick coat and I don't want anything bad to happen...

Old July 21st 05, 06:43 AM
claudel

In article outpets.com,
Ummmmm wrote:
I was just curious if any one knows the best way to cool off a pet cat? She
has a really thick coat and I don't want anything bad to happen...

My cat, Bubba, jumped up on the bathroom vanity and
brought me a razor like he wanted me to shave him, but
I didn't...

Seriously, though. He found a place where there is a cold
air flow from the AC and has been spending a lot of time there.
It's been 115120F outside my place all week. 90 inside seems cool.

Make sure there's plenty of water for both you and your cat...

Claude
Old July 21st 05, 09:07 PM
Nick

in a similar vein, what is the best temperature for a cat? I usually leave
the thermostat on around 74, but I always wonder if it's too warm, or would
they rather it be cooler. I'm sure there is a lot of variation from cat to
cat, but if anyone has some insight, I'd be delighted to hear it.

lkaboutpets.com...

Old July 21st 05, 11:22 PM
jils

the thickness of your cat's coat will protect and insulate her from the
heat.

a friend of mine was alarmed that we were expecting a heatwave a while
back. she spent a thousand dollars on a portable air conditioner, nearly
killed herself installing it in a window, on a table, and what did the
cat do when the temperature hit 40C?
she went outside and slept in the garden.

Old July 22nd 05, 01:19 AM
Ted Davis

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 08:22:02 +1000, jils wrote:

a friend of mine was alarmed that we were expecting a heatwave a while
back. she spent a thousand dollars on a portable air conditioner, nearly
killed herself installing it in a window, on a table, and what did the
cat do when the temperature hit 40C?
she went outside and slept in the garden.

Today was the hottest so far this year - I saw a weather.com report of
99 F - my thermostat is set at 73 F. So where were my dozen cats when
I got home? One or two were inside; one came in with me; several more
came in a few minutes later, then went back out (they were just
telling me the food bowl needed attention).

--
T.E.D. )
Old July 22nd 05, 01:35 PM

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 19:19:16 -0500, Ted Davis
wrote:

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 08:22:02 +1000, jils wrote:

a friend of mine was alarmed that we were expecting a heatwave a while
back. she spent a thousand dollars on a portable air conditioner, nearly
killed herself installing it in a window, on a table, and what did the
cat do when the temperature hit 40C?
she went outside and slept in the garden.

Today was the hottest so far this year - I saw a weather.com report of
99 F - my thermostat is set at 73 F. So where were my dozen cats when
I got home? One or two were inside; one came in with me; several more
came in a few minutes later, then went back out (they were just
telling me the food bowl needed attention).

I live in an un-air-conditioned apartment and it's almost unbearable
when the temp gets in the 90's F. Fortunately, we only get those
temps a few weeks a year, but my I do everything I can to make my cat
comfortable. When he sits and pants, I wrap a damp cool towel around
him. He hates it, but I know it helps cool him a little. He just
won't sleep in front of the fans. Yesterday was the worst, with a 94F
temp. It usually cools down at night, but it's 5:30am now and still
70 out. Supposed to be cooler today.

pepsi
Old August 4th 05, 03:08 PM
Ollie Clark

Ummmmm wrote:
I was just curious if any one knows the best way to cool off a pet cat? She
has a really thick coat and I don't want anything bad to happen...

Cats are naturally dessert animals so they can probably put up with much
higher heats than you can. Unless it's getting above 40 degrees (about
110F) regularly, don't worry about it. When we first got our cats, it was
a hot summer. It was regularly 30-35 degrees in the shade and we had to
keep all the house windows closed to keep them in so the house must have
been getting on for 40+ degrees. They were fine.

Make sure there's plenty of water available though.

--

http://www.ollieclark.com/acronyms.html