(OT) Identity Theft

Old February 15th 12, 02:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Default (OT) Identity Theft

Lesley wrote:

Dave had a good one today- he got a phone call from "Microsoft" saying
they'd identified a problem with his PC which they could sort out for
him for just $40 he just had to give them his credit card number/
expiry date/number on the back and they could sort it out in 10 or so
minutes. As he was on the phone he said "I don't have a computer" and
was nearly deafened by the noise they made slamming the phone down

Wow. The nerve of those creeps. What's really disturbing is that there are
people out there who fall for that stuff. Otherwise, they wouldn't do it.

--
Joyce

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you
come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people
who have come alive." -- Howard Thurman
Old February 15th 12, 12:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...

"jmcquown" wrote in message

"BfloPolska" wrote in message
On Feb 13, 7:04 am, "jmcquown" wrote:
Don't ask how or why but some idiot hijacked my bank check card and
ordered
himself a laptop computer from WalMart. I received email confirmation
from
WalMart stating my "order" is ready to be picked up. Primary pickup
person,
me. Alternate pickup person, someone named William Nguyen in
Westminster,
CA. I thought surely this person wouldn't be stupid enough to use my
email
address... but yes, they were. No one said criminals are smart. Heh.

Just to make sure this wasn't someone's idea of a joke I checked my
bank
account. Sure enough, there's a pending debit against my account for
that
exact amount. I'm waiting for the bank to open so I can call and
dispute
the charge.

Wow, what a jackass William Nguyen is! have fun in the pokey, Billy-
Pie. Don't drop the soap.

Good on Wally World to be on top of it so quickly!

Blessed be,
Elizabeth

Apparently they've heard of this guy before. I haven't bought anything
from WalMart in about 10 years. I was surprised (and appreciative) by
their responsiveness.

Jill

that name is a commonly used in scams I seen it as least a dozen times in
those attention I need your help with an important matter scam emails

You have to wonder about people who think they won the lottery (or whatever
the scam is) simply because they got an email. Why would you think you'd
won something if you never entered the contest in the first place?

OB Cats: The guy could have at least used the stolen bank card to buy cat
food

Jill

Old February 15th 12, 08:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Bobble" wrote in message
Lesley wrote in news:7c01b72c-38d0-42cf-9c30-
:

Dave had a good one today- he got a phone call from "Microsoft" saying
they'd identified a problem with his PC which they could sort out for
him for just $40 he just had to give them his credit card number/
expiry date/number on the back and they could sort it out in 10 or so
minutes. As he was on the phone he said "I don't have a computer" and
was nearly deafened by the noise they made slamming the phone down

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

I've had 1 of those almost every week for the last 6 months. I'm getting
really tired of them. Seems to be a different scammer each time because
their spiel is slightly different, so I guess they've caught on to an easy
scam.

Bobble

Between scams and sales calls (in spite of the fact that I went on line to
opt out), I got fed up. Now I have Caller ID. Unless the ID shows the name
of a person I know, or a number I recognize, I don't pick up the phone. If
someone really wants to talk to me, they can leave a message. If they do,
it is almost always somebody I do want to talk to, and I pick up. I still
have to wait through three or four rings and the announcement of the
caller's name, but I save a lot of time. Incidentally, the announced names
are often badly mispronounced, which can make them funny to listen to.

Joy

Old February 15th 12, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
J J Levin

"Joy" wrote in message
"Bobble" wrote in message
[...]

Same here. If you want to talk to me, you better be someone I know, or leave
a message. If the message sounds like something I might want or need, I'll
reply. Most messages are either from people telling me I better press "1"
RIGHT NOW to get a better rate on my credit card (I doubt I have their
credit card) or from my congressman (whom I do not like, have never voted
for, and don't intend to vote for in the future).

Jay

Old February 15th 12, 10:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mark Edwards

No cluons were harmed when "J J Levin" wrote:
Now I have Caller ID. Unless the ID shows the
name of a person I know, or a number I recognize,
I don't pick up the phone. If someone really wants
to talk to me, they can leave a message.

I get most of my calls on my cell phone. I pay $2 a month to have
speech to text messages sent from my voicemail.

This has the advantages that I can read what they said, and can get a
good belly laugh at mistranslated text when the caller does not speak
clearly.

--
Proof of sanity forged upon request
Old February 15th 12, 11:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"J J Levin" wrote in message
"Joy" wrote in message
"Bobble" wrote in message
[...]

I get a lot of calls from contractors who are desperate for work. I can
understand that, and feel sorry for them, but I'm not going to hire them, so
I see no point in talking to them. Also, AT&T calls me several times a day.
If they ever call when it isn't an inconvenient time, I might pick up, just
to see why they're calling. I do have my phones and TV through them.

Joy

Old February 16th 12, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Joy wrote:

I get a lot of calls from contractors who are desperate for work. I can
understand that, and feel sorry for them, but I'm not going to hire them, so
I see no point in talking to them. Also, AT&T calls me several times a day.

Several times a *day*? I would consider them nuisance calls. There's no
reason they need to call you that often!

--
Joyce

- Mommy loves you too my sweaty litter baby fire
- Ummm what mom?
- MY SWEET LITTLE BABY GIRL!! sorry honey!
-- damnyouautocorrect.com
Old February 16th 12, 04:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message
"Bobble" wrote in message
[...]

(snippage)

Unless the ID shows the name of a person I know, or a number I recognize,
I don't pick up the phone. If someone really wants to talk to me, they
can leave a message. If they do, it is almost always somebody I do want
to talk to, and I pick up.

(gentle snippage)

I cancelled caller ID, call waiting, other phone services I didn't even know
I had. I bought a phone with an answering machine. If it's someone I want
to talk to they'll either leave a message or not. I made a mistake in
keeping my parent's phone number. I did so because every once in a while
some of my parents friends who are still living call asking for one or the
other. They don't know their gone. I get to inform them. Most of the time
the phone calls are to ask for money for a political campaign. Sorry, I
don't do politics. And I'm not sending you any money.

Jill

Old February 16th 12, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

On Feb 16, 11:24*am, Bastette wrote:

I hope you didn't get a new one with them!

They sent me another one- it's a Barclaycard One Plus, which means I
can electronically load my Oyster ticket onto it and that's all I use
for it