Sharing Beatrice

Old April 28th 06, 07:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Sharing Beatrice

The youngest kitty in my house is also the most sought after playmate of the
other cats - so much that maybe I ought to be worried that they will wear
her out.

It's a close call but I'd have to say Eli gets the largest share of her
time, and I'm sure she's a big factor in how he's mellowed out recently.
She's the only one that will let him whap-whap-whap at her without running
away, and they'll go on for the longest time, with everyone else -
especially Abelard & Billy - watching and waiting to break in and play with
her.

Whenever Eli lays down to take a rest, one of the others jumps right in to
take his place until he catches his breath, which is never for a long enough
time to suit anyone else.

Sometimes, they play among themselves while they're waiting for a go at
Beatrice, and Eli occasionally gets distracted and goes from cat to cat
asking "Are you in the mood to wrestle with me right now?" He usually gets a
minute or two of action out of each one, but meanwhile Beatrice is *not*
having a break, she's busy entertaining whoever has noticed that Eli is
momentarily elsewhere.

It actually appears that Beatrice is enabling Eli to release he urge toward
aggression. There is a difference between how she is with him and how she is
with the others. With Eli she usually lays on her side and fends him off,
emitting a cross between a meow and a growl, and she rarely chases him.

Abelard she will chase as well as allow him to chase and catch and wrestle
with her, without making those sounds. With Billy and Tommy, she is also
quite vocal, but with Lily and Baby Eyes she is silent.

Abelard is definitely her favorite playmate, and the feeling is mutual. A
while ago they were both in one of the tiny tents, which was rolling and
hopping all over the floor. Still, I'm glad she's willing to keep Eli
occupied so much of the time. He seems to thoroughly enjoy watching her play
with the other cats, too.

Old April 29th 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Pat" wrote:
[...]

Beatrice sounds like a perfect friend for everyone. I liked the clip
of her on the potted grass. She was very playful and had a cute
little squeak.

Beatrice went to jail Pat Cat anecdotes 0 February 18th 06 01:57 AM
Stalking Lessons for Beatrice Pat Cat anecdotes 6 June 3rd 05 04:41 AM
IBK Beatrice Update Pat Cat anecdotes 19 May 24th 05 04:16 PM
Getting to know baby Beatrice Kreisleriana Cat anecdotes 16 May 19th 05 04:21 AM
Cat sociology: sharing duties? Jerry Kohl Cat community 1 June 23rd 04 11:37 AM