fur breaking under collar

Old April 23rd 05, 11:41 PM
ML Richardson

Default fur breaking under collar

Hi,

I'm so glad I found this newsgroup.

I've had cats all my life, and know a fair bit about them, but this
problem has me puzzled.

My husband and I just adoped a new cat from a local rescue organization
(about a month ago). I put a collar on him two weeks ago and today I
noticed that the fur under it had been broken off. Our other cats (and
many before them) have worn collars with no ill effects.

There are so marks or redness on his skin -- just really, really short
fur. I've seen the same broken-fur thing on top of his head. The vet
suspected ringworm, but the fur is now growing back normally.

He hasn't scratched at the collar or shown any real interest in it, so I
didn't think it was bothering him.

Has anyone else seen something like this?

Thanks!
Old April 24th 05, 06:39 AM
KellyH

"ML Richardson" wrote in message
rvers.com...
Hi,

I'm so glad I found this newsgroup.

I've had cats all my life, and know a fair bit about them, but this
problem has me puzzled.

My husband and I just adoped a new cat from a local rescue organization
(about a month ago). I put a collar on him two weeks ago and today I
noticed that the fur under it had been broken off. Our other cats (and
many before them) have worn collars with no ill effects.

There are so marks or redness on his skin -- just really, really short
fur. I've seen the same broken-fur thing on top of his head. The vet
suspected ringworm, but the fur is now growing back normally.

He hasn't scratched at the collar or shown any real interest in it, so I
didn't think it was bothering him.

Has anyone else seen something like this?

Thanks!

My cat Toffee gets this with her collar. If I take it off, the fur
underneath looks worn down, but like your cat, no red marks or anything.
Her collar is loose enough. If it concerns you, consider getting the kitty
microchipped for ID instead of a collar.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old April 24th 05, 02:15 PM
Joe Canuck

ML Richardson wrote:

Hi,

I'm so glad I found this newsgroup.

I've had cats all my life, and know a fair bit about them, but this
problem has me puzzled.

My husband and I just adoped a new cat from a local rescue organization
(about a month ago). I put a collar on him two weeks ago and today I
noticed that the fur under it had been broken off. Our other cats (and
many before them) have worn collars with no ill effects.

There are so marks or redness on his skin -- just really, really short
fur. I've seen the same broken-fur thing on top of his head. The vet
suspected ringworm, but the fur is now growing back normally.

He hasn't scratched at the collar or shown any real interest in it, so I
didn't think it was bothering him.

Has anyone else seen something like this?

Thanks!

I have a long-haired cat and would never consider putting a collar on them.

Remove the collar and give him a brushing around the neck to see if that
raises up the fur again.

However, you must weight the possibility of your cat getting outside and
lost with the downside of wearing a collar.
Old April 24th 05, 03:17 PM
dragon

ML Richardson wrote:
[...]

Yes, when I had leather collars on my cats, this happened to their fur.
I would recommend getting a different collar, one made with some other
material. Also, you need to make sure the collar isn't too tight.
Even the ones that allegedly snap apart often do not, so I always make
sure the collar is loose enough that the cat can slip their head out of
it if necessary.

dragon

Old April 24th 05, 04:20 PM
bigbadbarry

I reckon it happens, a cat "getting lost", I think their territory is
only as big as their appetite you know..

I think the risk is really someone taking the cat, oppossed to him
going so far he can't find his way back?

Old April 24th 05, 07:49 PM
Joe Canuck

bigbadbarry wrote:

I reckon it happens, a cat "getting lost", I think their territory is
only as big as their appetite you know..

I think the risk is really someone taking the cat, oppossed to him
going so far he can't find his way back?

Yes, and they can only consider taking it if they know it is there in
the first place... so the solution is to cover all the windows with
newspaper so no one can see inside or the cat when it jumps in the window.

Ok, that was an ExtremeSolutiontm.
Old April 25th 05, 01:34 AM
Cheryl

On Sat 23 Apr 2005 06:41:08p, ML Richardson wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[...]

What kind of collar is it? Is it a flea collar?

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields

Old April 25th 05, 11:49 AM
bigbadbarry

Yes, and they can only consider taking it if they know it is there in

the first place... so the solution is to cover all the windows with
newspaper so no one can see inside or the cat when it jumps in the

window.

Ok, that was an ExtremeSolutiontm.

Where did that come from, you feel that way?, I mean, Im not being nosy
(it's not unlike a cat to ask questions)..lol...

subj to ask other questions like, how much was your last paycheck, and
how much was the power bill, you know stuff cats need to know...

But if someone took my cat they'd bring him back..

He'd start them off with a hot 2 hour deposition (CIA style)...followed
by a night of pure trickery...big glasses jumping out of the kitchen
cabinets...something "under your bed"...up in the mattress...feels like
it's touching you...occasionaly glimpses...of what you think looked
like a cat...they'd bring him back.