Fat cat = animal abuse

Old March 25th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Fat cat = animal abuse

Please look at this page: http://tinyurl.com/krqwr

The article describes a cat that is between 46 and 50 pounds and "boasts a
thickset 33-inch waistline." He eats 30 pounds of food each week! The
owner claims that he is healthy, despite remarks that "he's a waddler" and
"not much for running." They brush him and have to use baby wipes to clean
him because he is so fat that he cannot clean himself. Unfortunately, he is
declawed -- and they seem to blame that (and having him "fixed") for his
overeating.

The reason I am writing is that he is a contender for the world's fattest
feline. He is going to be featured on "Ripley's Beliee It or Not," and a
video has been sent to "America's Funniest Home Videos" with the hope that
he will win the big prize. I consider this to be animal abuse. It is not
"funny" or "contest-worthy."

I am going to write a message of protest to Ripley's. They should not be
glorifying this type of abuse and just plain idiocy. If any of you would
like to join me, a message can be sent to this address:

MaryL

Old March 25th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

In article NcdVf.698$C85.474@dukeread10, AKE-OUT-
THE-LITTER says...
[...]

When Cosimo was put down he weighed 24lbs. At his prime he was a little
over 30lbs. According to the vet, it's all genetic and there isn't
anything you can do about it.

Old March 25th 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Thanks for posting this, Mary. So sad

Old March 25th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"T" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

It is not "all" genetic. In questions of "nature or nurture" it is almost
always "some of both." You overfed the cat. How old was he when
he died? And what did he die of?

Old March 25th 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 09:20:17 -0600, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

[...]

As an American, I cannot look upon feline obesity as anything more
than a reflection of the national trend. The U.S. is a nation of fat
people getting fatter.

What really grosses me out are these people who are too ****in fat to
walk around in a store, so they drive these little motorized carts,
sometimes with an oxygen tube... all so they can stay alive for
another meal.

I'll bet there's no shortage of wide loads on Usenet, munching Doritos
while typing out their latest sermon.

Charlie

Charlie
Old March 25th 06, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"T" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

That doesn't make any more sense than saying that it's "all genetic" when
people are fat an there isn't anything we can do about it. That statement
is almost always incorrect. It's true that some breeds of cats will weigh
more than others (such as a Maine Coon), but the cat in that article is
morbidly obese. The fault with that lies with an owner who has not taken
proper care of the cat.

MaryL

Old March 25th 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

In article , says...

"T" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

He was 8 years old. Fed Iams Adult Maturity. All cats in the house free
fed so he was no different.

He was euthanized due to kidney failure, hepatic lipidosis, diabetes,
arthritic, etc.

It was thought best by myself and the vet to euthanize him.

Old March 25th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

In article ElfVf.742$C85.469@dukeread10, AKE-OUT-
THE-LITTER says...

"T" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I'm tired of these 'improper care' nazi's in the group like yourself. He
was fed and cared for with regular vet visits, etc. And yes, he was part
Main Coon.

Old March 25th 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"T" wrote in message
. ..
In article ElfVf.742$C85.469@dukeread10, AKE-OUT-
THE-LITTER says...

"T" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Well, Maine Coons are big. But still, 30 lbs?

Old March 25th 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

When Cosimo was put down he weighed 24lbs. At his prime he was a little
over 30lbs. According to the vet, it's all genetic and there isn't
anything you can do about it.

That doesn't make any more sense than saying that it's "all genetic" when
people are fat an there isn't anything we can do about it. That
statement
is almost always incorrect. It's true that some breeds of cats will
weigh
more than others (such as a Maine Coon), but the cat in that article is
morbidly obese. The fault with that lies with an owner who has not taken
proper care of the cat.

MaryL

I'm tired of these 'improper care' nazi's in the group like yourself. He
was fed and cared for with regular vet visits, etc. And yes, he was part
Main Coon.

Yes, yes,yes some Maine Coon tomcats can get that large without being
excessively fat. Some can reach that size without being fat at all.

You should follow the vet's advice if he says your cat needs to lost
weight. Otherwise, if the kitty is still active, can race, run, play, leap
up on furniture I wouldn't worry about a little chubbiness.

However, a warning ---- there is at least one problem with real cat
obesity - they are much more likely to have liver failure if they get a
virus or something and stop eating for 4-5 days. Cat metabolisms are not
designed to allow that long without eating. Pay attention to everyone's
eating habits (fat or not), and if they stop eating that long get them to
the vet. (I didn't notice my older chubby cat stopped eating because she
and the kitten used the same dish. Cost $2500 in vet bills to save her
from liver failure. I'm now careful to keep her weight down, and also make
sure everyone is eating.)

-- maryjane