Cat confined for the sake of another

Old April 13th 04, 06:29 AM
Tracy

I would have to confine Willie inside to expose them to each other
inside,
otherwise he would simply run outside at first sight of Thug. Willie

has
never been confined inside. He has always been free to go in and out

as he
pleases. I don't let the cats in and out. They always have a way to

go
in and out without having to ask.

Of course I could confine him, but it would be like a betrayal of his
trust

This just appeared on my reader so.....

I had assumed that Willie spent a certain amount of time in the house
with the door closed - didn't realize he was a 24/7 outdoor cat. Mine
come inside at night and stay inside till morning.

I can see why you're having a problem - neither wants another adult
male cat around and you don't have much control over their
environment. Basically, you can't force them to deal with each other
until they arrive at a detente unless you're in a controlled
environment. The point of an introduction is that neither cat *can*
drive the other cat away, as much as they'd like to. If they actually
*can* drive the other cat away from the house, then there isn't much
incentive to work things out and they won't.

You have to decide if keeping Thug is worth putting Willie through the
introduction process - INSIDE. You do it as kindly as you can, but
there really isn't any other way. It isn't going to happen outside and
Willie runs risks if he is driven too far from his familiar territory.
Yes, it's hard to confine a cat who isn't used to it, but things have
changed, and for the longterm health and survival of both cats, it
would certainly be better if they could learn to tolerate each other.
I don't think it's impossible, but it will take alot of time and
probably a fair bit of discomfort for Willie and for you. I wish there
was a better answer, but I don't see how else it can be done.

Old April 13th 04, 09:37 PM
Calvin Rice

I appreciate all of the time and effort that went into these thoughtful
try to plan some inside confrontations, but I'm very afraid of the
temporary results, even if the long term results work out to being good.

I already know how hard it is to have a little kitten accepted, for
example. I've introduced new tiny kittens three times, and every time
the cat(s) reacted as if I had brought a grave threat into their midst.
But within a matter of weeks the kitten is always grudgingly tolerated
by my female, and accepted as a buddy by the other male(s).

That was what I was expecting after I had the former stray neutered and
let him live among us. I thought they would get used to him in a matter
of weeks, but I never expected him to be the one who couldn't accept
one or more of them. Of course I was just naive.

One piece of advice I was given last year was to put Feliway diffusers
in the house, and confine the two to a Feliway environment until they
got used to each other. I haven't tried this, but I thought maybe if
I put a Feliway diffuser in Thug's room, and in the hallway outside his
room, maybe I could simply temporarily confine Willie to the hallway, and
then coax him into the room, while supposedly both cats are under the
calming influence that Feliway is thought to have.

Does this alternative seem at all feasible?

-cr

Old April 15th 04, 12:48 PM
Wendy

"Calvin Rice" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Feliway isn't a silver bullet but it can help.

Old April 15th 04, 06:06 PM
Tracy

Yes, it seems feasible. Do this periodically for a while and see if
you see some progress. Good luck!
Old April 15th 04, 06:06 PM
Tracy