Rant: People Who Dump Cats

Old July 7th 04, 03:42 AM
Dermuid

"Arjun Ray" wrote in message
: In ,
: itty (Sherry ) wrote:
:
: | They're gorgeous. In fact, they look exotic enough that, with
: | them being so well socialized already, I suspect they're from a
: | breeder, perhaps even one with ambitions of respectability.
:
: | Do you think, Arjun? I know it's hard to tell from a one-dimensional
: | photo, but they look more just like longhaired moggies to me.
:
: Granted. I'm just guessing. Longhairedness is a recessive gene,
: so you don't find that many longhairs of random parentage. Two
: from the same litter, with the same coloring, though? Short tail,
: solid stubby legs, slight Persian cast to the face, exotic "blue"
: coloring -- they really look like a breeder's effort, maybe at a
: cross of some kind. Now I'm beginning to think that these two may
: have been "failures", so to speak. (Maybe not Persian enough?)
:
: | But then I don't know much about breeds.
:
: Neither do I, but I've seen plenty of moggies, and these two are
: quite unusual. Or at least, they look it in the photos. But
: again, I'm just guessing.
:
: | The thing is, somebody brought them up to the house.
:
: That really sucks. Someone is taking advantage of you.
:
: | they were covered in stickers, which would indicate they either
: | traveled or somebody had them that just didn't take care of them.
: | They had fleas so bad the water was red when I bathed them from
: | the flea dirt. But they're fairly fat. It's a mystery.
:
: You should get them looked at. They may look fat but still be
: dehydrated from exposure.
:
: | I'm just guessing somebody knows me and figured it was a good
: | way to get rid of them.
:
: Is there a regular "dump spot" in your area? That's where they
: may have picked up the fleas. Even wilder theory: someone dumped
: them there, someone else found them, didn't know what to do but
: knew you.
:

I like theories, here's two more, there must have been more than 2 kittens,
see if you can find the rest of the litter.
If you want to find out where the 2 you have could have come from, circulate
some photos to the pet clinics in and around your area, given the markings
and fur colour, long haired, the adult versions parent/s should be easy to
find as they are not your average run of the mill moggies.

Old July 7th 04, 04:26 AM
Elizabeth Blake

"Sherry " wrote in message
Rant On.
We found two baby kittens in the flowerbed this morning. We live in the
country, with no close neighbors. They didn't walk here by themselves.

Someone
dumped them.
This isn't the first time. Or the second or third. I hate people who dump
animals. Hate isn't a word I use very often, but I hate them. These babies

are
tiny, probably not 10 weeks old. Do people think a 10-week-old kitten can

fend
for itself? The are *very* well socialized. They were relatively in good

shape,
except for being covered with fleas, ticks and stickers.

I live in a very urban area, and found my Otto out on the street four years
ago. He was huddled behind bars outside a basement window of my building,
which my bedroom window overlooked. His cries woke me up and I tried going
back to sleep for a couple of hours (it was early) but couldn't. Finally
got up, got dressed and went outside. He was about six months old at the
time. I pulled him out from behind the bars, he crawled up to my neck and
started purring. He definitely came from a home, because he was clean, very
friendly, and knew what the litterbox was for. Several days after I found
him, I saw another kitten, the same size as Otto (but a beautiful female
tabby) across the street. I don't remember where I was going but I was in a
big hurry. I did stop to pet her, and she began to follow me up the street.
I knew that she had to be Otto's sister, and that someone probably dumped
them outside. They were about six months old, and I guess they weren't too
cute anymore. I searched for the female tabby when I got back home and
couldn't find her. I found an empty cat food can by where I first saw her,
so I hope someone took her in. I actually had a nightmare about her that
night. To this day, I say to Otto, "I can't believe someone threw a
perfectly good cat like you out".

There are strays in my neighborhood (I live across the street from a big
park) and seeing them doesn't affect me the way Otto and the little tabby
did. The strays run from people, but these cats definitely were thrown out.
I really wish I had been able to find the tabby, even though three cats in
my small apartment would have been too much.

I also think that people who just throw away unwanted animals deserve a
special place in hell.

Liz

Old July 7th 04, 04:39 AM
.oO rach Oo.

Those kittens are beyond adorable. I guess the long and short is, there are
a lot of people in the world that are simply not willing to take
responsibility for anything. Not themselves, not their actions, not their
children, not their animals. My one kitten was found behind a grocery store
that is literally across the street from a shelter. If the previous asshole
owner didn't want her, why not cross the street or turn left instead of
right... whatever... and drop her off in a place she would be cared for.
Same with her step sister. A block from the shelter eating mice instead of
a slight amount of effort to make sure she was safe. People are assholes.

Not to sound trite, but even though it's a challenge, in the long run you
are better off. You're the better person. That's a lot of positive energy.

--
rach

"Sherry " wrote in message
Rant On.
We found two baby kittens in the flowerbed this morning. We live in the
country, with no close neighbors. They didn't walk here by themselves.

Someone
dumped them.
This isn't the first time. Or the second or third. I hate people who dump
animals. Hate isn't a word I use very often, but I hate them. These babies

are
tiny, probably not 10 weeks old. Do people think a 10-week-old kitten can

fend
for itself? The are *very* well socialized. They were relatively in good

shape,
except for being covered with fleas, ticks and stickers.
The last dumped cat, no, wait, it was two dumped cats ago, the one before
Biskit was sealed up in a cardboard box in the drive. Nice touch, to make

sure
the cat didn't wander off too far.
What kind of a lazy-assed person won't drive to a shelter and relinquish
animals. And what kind of mentality thinks *I* should take responsibility

for
their animals.
But you what? I did. I bathed them and fed them and brought them in the

house.
Now I don't have a clue what to do with them. Kitten season is hard this

year.
Shelters are over-run.
If they hadn't wandered up here, they'd have starved, together. I would

rather
see these jackasses put a bullet in a cat's head than dump it to starve.
I took some pictures to make a poster with. Thought I'd share them. Rant

over.
Thanks for listening.
http://members.aol.com/jjrich0523/graykittens2.jpg
http://members.aol.com/jjrich0523/graykitten1.jpg

Sherry

Old July 7th 04, 04:50 AM
MacCandace

We found two baby kittens in the flowerbed this morning. We live in the
country, with no close neighbors. They didn't walk here by themselves

Awsww, I agree with everyone ese, how precious. I'm sorry, sometimes it just
doesn't seem fair, and it's not.

You've probably seen this before, but I like it:

"I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of
human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread,
sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible!
Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He
spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied. "I created you."
The Animals' Savior Copyright-Jim Willis 1999

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old July 7th 04, 06:30 AM
Luvskats00

That's what happened to Holly. A breeder mixed Persian and Oriental
Shorthair in an attempt to create a "new" breed. Holly was destined to be
destroyed simply because she wasn't the right color -- the breeder
specifically wanted dusty gray, and Holly is solid black.

Is the breeder licensed? Can the AKC do anything? I don't think legitimate
breeders are allowed to go around and attempt to create new breeds.

Old July 7th 04, 06:37 AM
MaryL

"Luvskats00" wrote in message

That's what happened to Holly. A breeder mixed Persian and Oriental
Shorthair in an attempt to create a "new" breed. Holly was destined to

be
destroyed simply because she wasn't the right color -- the breeder
specifically wanted dusty gray, and Holly is solid black.

Is the breeder licensed? Can the AKC do anything? I don't think

legitimate
breeders are allowed to go around and attempt to create new breeds.

I don't know the name of the breeder. All of this was told to me by the
woman who rescued Holly, and she didn't want to divulge any names -- so I
have only her word for the assertions. I did ask my vet once if Holly's
fur, body shape, etc. could fit with this claim; and he said "yes" (which
doesn't necessarily mean the story is true, but it did seem true at the time
it was told to me -- and had nothing to do with my decision to adopt Holly).

MaryL