Rant: People Who Dump Cats

Old July 7th 04, 06:37 AM
MaryL

"Luvskats00" wrote in message

That's what happened to Holly. A breeder mixed Persian and Oriental
Shorthair in an attempt to create a "new" breed. Holly was destined to

be
destroyed simply because she wasn't the right color -- the breeder
specifically wanted dusty gray, and Holly is solid black.

Is the breeder licensed? Can the AKC do anything? I don't think

legitimate
breeders are allowed to go around and attempt to create new breeds.

I don't know the name of the breeder. All of this was told to me by the
woman who rescued Holly, and she didn't want to divulge any names -- so I
have only her word for the assertions. I did ask my vet once if Holly's
fur, body shape, etc. could fit with this claim; and he said "yes" (which
doesn't necessarily mean the story is true, but it did seem true at the time
it was told to me -- and had nothing to do with my decision to adopt Holly).

MaryL

Old July 7th 04, 10:41 AM
Sherry

[...]

I don't doubt it's true. Anybody can call themselves a "breeder" and do
whatever they want to even if their "efforts" are recognized by CFA, TICA or
whatever. . Look at that horrible twisty cats woman. I'm not sure about *how*
new breeds are created, or how they come to be legitamate recognized breeds but
I bet there's a lot of poor "rejects" along the way.

Old July 7th 04, 10:54 AM
Alison

"Sherry " wrote in message
But you what? I did. I bathed them and fed them and brought them in

the house.
Now I don't have a clue what to do with them. Kitten season is hard

this year.
Shelters are over-run.
If they hadn't wandered up here, they'd have starved, together. I

would rather
see these jackasses put a bullet in a cat's head than dump it to

starve.
I took some pictures to make a poster with. Thought I'd share them.

Rant over.
Thanks for listening.
http://members.aol.com/jjrich0523/graykittens2.jpg
http://members.aol.com/jjrich0523/graykitten1.jpg

Sherry

Hi Sherry ,
They are absolutely beautiful! How could any one dump themor any
kitten for that matter? I wish you could send them over here, they
would be snapped up.
Good luck with finding them a home.
Alison

Old July 7th 04, 11:01 AM
Sherry

I don't doubt it's true. Anybody can call themselves a "breeder" and do
whatever they want to even if their "efforts" are recognized by CFA, TICA or
whatever. .

Woops. Replace "are" with "aren't"

Sherry

Old July 7th 04, 10:28 PM
Sunflower

"Luvskats00" wrote in message

Is the breeder licensed?

Are you that seriously out of touch? Breeders don't have "licenses". Any
idiot with two intact animals can breed and make new crosses or any damn
thing they please. *If* the two animals happen to be the same breed, then
the progeny can be registered with whatever registration body they were
originally registered with, providing the breeder doesn't owe them money or
something. Or one of the "make up your own breed and we'll register it for
you" sanctioning bodies will happily provide "papers" for the new Orange
Tail-less Alleycats with Folded Ears. Just pay them the money. ANd then
you can sell, sell, sell!

Can the AKC do anything?

Um, AKC is the American Kennel Club, and they don't have squat to do with
cats. They have a hard enough time trying to resolve squabbles within the
dog community. Just look at what's happened with JRTs.

I don't think legitimate
breeders are allowed to go around and attempt to create new breeds.

People do any damn thing they please. Breeding of dogs and cats in this
country isn't "controlled" by any governing body that could administer
handslaps to it's naughty individuals. "Legitimate breeders" as you term it
would not condone many practices that BYB do, but they don't have any
control or influence either. Only the public with it's mighty dollar
purchasing power has any influence over cretinous activity. If somone won't
buy something, then it will no longer be produced. As long as BYBs are
receiving the positive reinforcement of dollars, they'll continue to do
whatever they want to do. Including making trial matings to produce new
breeds and then dumping the kittens that aren't up to their mysterious
specifications.